Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to buy in Italy ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Do you know of any restaurants or vinegar factories in Rome that will allow you to sample it or to have as a bread/vinegar type of appetizer? I don't want to commit to buying an entire bottle, but would like to sample a bit.
I would be a bit wary of restaurants offering olive oil and vinegar tastings. There is a restaurant in Venice, of a tourist-trap nature, which offers good food. However, the sommelier manages to return to your table as your are finishing your meal and counts on you being a bit wine-fueled. At that point, he does a private seminar on olive oil and Balsamic. Lots of tastes of oil, but the vinegars, as I recall were not to be tasted, but were beautifully described. His motive, clearly, was to sell the customer the products. When we said that we would "think about it" he abruptly left. We found the same products at Mascari for a fraction of the price.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Do you know of any restaurants or vinegar factories in Rome that will allow you to sample it or to have as a bread/vinegar type of appetizer? I don't want to commit to buying an entire bottle, but would like to sample a bit.
Bread dipped in olive oil and "balsamic" vinegrette is a USA food thing. It doesn't exist in Italy. I haven't been to an oil tasting in Italy. I have been to two vinegar tastings. We drove for about an hour from Modena to get there. Dipping bread into olive oil is definitely an American invention.

I spent last week in Long Island, NY. I would order a glass of wine at the end of the day's work. The waitresses would ask if I want bread with that. I'd say, "sure, why not." They would bring out a paper bag full of bread, and a plate of olive oil sprinkled with cheese, vinegar, chili pepper. A meal unto itself. That's all Italian American. I can't remember ever getting a plate of olive oil to dip bread into in Italy, except on a farm to buy true vinegar. Restaurants are not going to give away real vinegar, or good olive oil.

Last edited by Perche; Jun 10, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Some great advice from @Perche and others in this thread.

We visited Florence and Venice at the end of March, and thanks to reading through the posts, purchased some great genuine balsamic vinegar (expensive, but sooooooo good) and avoided the "special deal for you sir" on glass trinkets when we visited Murano.

I noticed one victim had even been persuaded to pay in cash (there was a convenient ATM at the entrance to the shop) "in order to avoid tax sir". He was half awake to the scam, asking for a certificate that it was original, however I managed to get a look at the certificate they handed him, and while nicely worded, any lawyer would laugh and say that it certified nothing!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:14 pm

If you are in Venice just asked for TONOLO pastry shop, near Campo Santa Margherita! Best pastry in the whole world!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.