Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Layover in Pisa... enough time for a quick tour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

Hi all,

I am potentially looking at a short layover in Pisa. I will be hand luggage only and OneWorld Emerald so able, hopefully, to check-in and get through security quickly.

I arrive in Pisa at 14.40pm, say at least 3pm/3.30pm to clear the airport. My next flight is at 8pm. I'd like to get back to Pisa airport for 6.30pm, I will already have my boarding pass.

Can I easily and realistically get out to see the leaning tower and the Cathedral Square?

I'd be happy to get a taxi or a bus there and back. I would be really keen to hear from those of you who are local or have travelled here before to understand the length of time it would take to get there and back from Pisa airport (I hear its not that far?). I'm not fussed about climbing the tower, I would just like to get a few photos and make the most of a long layover.

Thoughts greatly appreciated
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
We were coming on the train from Florence, so I cannot specifically speak to the time back and forth from the airport, however, you can -easily- see what you need to see and take some pictures in the time you have. Everything is close together and frankly there is not much else to see in Pisa.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by dkelly1110
We were coming on the train from Florence, so I cannot specifically speak to the time back and forth from the airport, however, you can -easily- see what you need to see and take some pictures in the time you have. Everything is close together and frankly there is not much else to see in Pisa.
Wikipedia on things to see in Pisa: 1122 words (incl. several medieval churches and palaces and six museums)
Wikipedia on things to see in Hoboken, NJ.: zero! (not even anything related to Frank Sinatra).
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
Wikipedia on things to see in Pisa: 1122 words (incl. several medieval churches and palaces and six museums)
Wikipedia on things to see in Hoboken, NJ.: zero! (not even anything related to Frank Sinatra).
OK and what's your point? OP was asking about Pisa, not Hoboken. It is clear from her post that she wants to see the Tower and Cathedral in a couple of hours and not a bunch of second-tier churches, etc. Is what she wants possible in the short time she has on a layover - yes! I hope you didn't waste your time there - there are far more interesting places to visit in Italy.

Cheers!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:52 pm

We're ranking the churches now? What's a 3rd tier church? Is it comparable to the 3rd tier law school I attended?

There's a ton more to see in Pisa than are being discussed in this thread if you're into architecture or sculpture. Sure, if you want to pop over and take a picture pretending to hold up the tower, why not? It's better than milling around the airport for 5 hours. Better to see something than nothing.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
In response to the OP's question, three hours is plenty of time to travel from/to the airport and see the sights you mention.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
In response to the OP's question, three hours is plenty of time to travel from/to the airport and see the sights you mention.
Awesome! Thanks for your responses all. I'm not sure how we got onto Hoboken, and yes I did indeed want to know if during my layover I could get out and see some of Pisa. I am sure there are lots of sights to see, but given that I have never been there and have a few hours, I would indeed like to see and photograph the tower and the cathedral - why not, its better than sitting in Pisa airport I am sure
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
^^
It's less than 3 miles from the airport terminal to Piazza die Miracoli, where you'll find the cathedral and leaning tower.

It'll take less than 15 minutes each way by taxi, which won't cost the earth.

No reason at all why you shouldn't manage to do it in the time available.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
^^
It's less than 3 miles from the airport terminal to Piazza die Miracoli, where you'll find the cathedral and leaning tower.

It'll take less than 15 minutes each way by taxi, which won't cost the earth.

No reason at all why you shouldn't manage to do it in the time available.

Many thanks! Tomorrow is the day, i'm looking forward to it

Assuming that there are taxis all around the tower/cathedral area for the trip back to the airport?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
Many thanks! Tomorrow is the day, i'm looking forward to it

Assuming that there are taxis all around the tower/cathedral area for the trip back to the airport?
Plenty of taxis for hire!

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.