Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked a new Candlewood Suites months ago that isn't open

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Angry Booked a new Candlewood Suites months ago that isn't open

It's for the first weekend in November. I booked this back around last December or January. Four rooms.

Problem is it's in Baton Rouge for the weekend of the Alabama/LSU game. So pretty much no way they can just move me to a different hotel in the area. Everything is booked solid.

This ever happen to anyone else? I'm a Spire Elite member. If they can't move me somewhere comparable, can I expect to be compensated for the extreme inconvenience with points or free nights? Wondering what I should aim for here.

Thanks for any tips!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
I'm no lawyer but I'm thinking something like that would be considered Force Majeure.

I'd think with an event like that, where you know (or should know) that hotels will be full, that you'd be holding multiple reservations, especially if you knew ahead of time that the property might not be open.

Question - was it a prepaid rate or were you just holding the rooms under a Best Flexible or other refundable rate?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:55 am

I was in a similar boat with you (F1 weekend, Austin TX, delayed hotel opening) but got it resolved. I realized my hotel won't open by time but there were no rooms nearby or the price was too high. I was lucky because as F1 approaches, many hotels released rooms. I've got a call from the hotel (roughly one month before my stay) and asked to cancel my reservation (it was a refundable rate, booked directly at ihg website) and make another one at a nearby ihg property which was cheaper.

But even before that, I called ihg and found that they tried to move me to any other ihg hotel that has vacancy and honor the rate I reserved. I simply didn't want it because parking and breakfast weren't free to the other hotel they tried to move me. You can keep searching and if any nearby one releases rooms even at a sky high rate, call ihg and seek for help. Good luck and arrange plan B at 30 mins or even an hour distance... I realized that it's extremely rare that a hotel opens at a planned date. They delay a lot.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FonzieBone
I'm no lawyer but I'm thinking something like that would be considered Force Majeure.

I'd think with an event like that, where you know (or should know) that hotels will be full, that you'd be holding multiple reservations, especially if you knew ahead of time that the property might not be open.

Question - was it a prepaid rate or were you just holding the rooms under a Best Flexible or other refundable rate?
AAA rate. And I had no idea when booking the room that it might not be open. I actually just stumbled upon the information when double checking the reservation yesterday.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by katiep23
This ever happen to anyone else? I'm a Spire Elite member. If they can't move me somewhere comparable, can I expect to be compensated for the extreme inconvenience with points or free nights? Wondering what I should aim for here.
Happened to me last year at a HIX in Anaheim. Unsolicited, they compensated me with 35k or 40k points.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:13 pm

My only experience was at the IC Saigon. Hotel was not open yet. They contacted me, booked a suite at the nearby Hyatt, sent a letter with an apology and offered a tour of the unfinished hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
My only experience was at the IC Saigon. Hotel was not open yet. They contacted me, booked a suite at the nearby Hyatt, sent a letter with an apology and offered a tour of the unfinished hotel.
Hopefully you've gone back, the IC Residences Saigon was fantastic.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:14 pm

in case people aren't aware of the policy

at minimum, one night should be covered (if you attempt to get corporate to resolve it).

If you decide to find lodging elsewhere and cancel (aka don't trust corporate to fix this properly, or think they'll move to 40 miles away to another hotel), you can negotiate for some points

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...q/reservations

Why do we require a credit card for Internet reservations?
By securing your online reservation with a credit card, you are eligible for our Reservations Guarantee. If your reservation cannot be honored, the host hotel will provide a room at, and transportation to, another convenient and comparable hotel, and pay for telephone calls to notify family of the lodging change. The host hotel will also pay the full cost of the first night's lodging rate, plus tax. Any advance deposit will be refunded.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Force Majeure in Baton Rouge.
Looks like a French Film Noir
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

Good one. They failed to open the hotel which is at first sight not an act of God and they failed to take appropriate steps as they are obligated to under the contract, certainly not God's reponsobility either.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Good one. They failed to open the hotel which is at first sight not an act of God and they failed to take appropriate steps as they are obligated to under the contract, certainly not God's reponsobility either.
You know, I googled the term before posting, and this was the first definition:

"Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract."

I said I'm not a lawyer. Rather than be an ..., you could take this opportunity to educate someone with a degree in a different field.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You know, I googled the term before posting, and this was the first definition:

"Unforeseeable circumstances that prevent someone from fulfilling a contract."

I said I'm not a lawyer. Rather than be an ..., you could take this opportunity to educate someone with a degree in a different field.
Add the term "unavoidable" and we are getting closer. And why should it be unforseeable in the plain English meaning of the word that a hotel sill under construction is not conpleted at a certain point in time? Might be unexpected and undesired, but certainly not unforseeable...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
Happened to me last year at a HIX in Anaheim. Unsolicited, they compensated me with 35k or 40k points.
I only got 10K.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

My favorite thing now is that when I called about it, they said they would go ahead & cancel the reservations for me. They didn't & now I have pending charges on my credit card for a hotel that isn't even open. Awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.