Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I am however giving this property another chance (well, I managed to get a BRG free night for the One Bedroom Deluxe Suite , close to $900 with tax;-)) the pictures on TripAdvisor look gorgeous. For the dates I am looking they do not show any room categories above that. What will the property do for AMB upgrade?
If you scroll back to July in this thread, I was upgraded to a deluxe suite and it was very nice. Not that I would pay $900, but as an upgrade from an entry level room it was excellent.

As for an upgrade, it depends if the named suites are open yet and if they will upgrade. I would guess no.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, One World Emerald, IC Royal Ambassador
Just had a 1 night stay and I thought overall, it was a rather bizarre experience. The hotel was completely sold out.

No one at the Ambassador desk...that's not a big deal. Waited in the central line.

Upon presenting myself, the front desk rep disappeared for about 4-5 minutes supposedly to find/ talk to the front desk manager. The line behind me is getting VERY long. (only 2 people on duty)

He came back only to say that after conferring with someone that my room was ready (It was 5:30 pm) Then I inquire about the club lounge...I still wasn't clear after reading all the posts here about the benefit for RA, cost etc. I was told it was $80 per person. At that point I expressed my disappointment. He disappears again and comes back to say that it really is discounted for RA's to only $60 per person.

I paid. We were the ONLY ones in the club the entire night. I guess no one else paid. (remember they were sold out!)

At breakfast the next morning, I mentioned to the lovely lounge staff person that I had not received my water and fruit as an ambassador benefit. She said it was not automatic! I had to choose!
1) Water and fruit
2) $20 worth of mini bar food
3) $20 bar credit
4) 1500 ihg points

I was not told that at checkin. I took the points.

I honestly don't know if I was upgraded or not. The room seemed normally small.

We were two guests in the room---one bathrobe and slippers....the slippers are Plush and thick. Very nice.

Agraria soaps.

One of the elevators made a horrible creaking/groaning sound that sounded like a dying animal. It really was a little disconcerting.

The bar area was full in the evening and seemed convivial.
There were only 12 tables behind the bar area set up for restaurant seating.
The next morning, all the bar area had been converted to breakfast seating.
(you have to walk past all this to get to the club lounge)

The lounge food and amenities were excellent. Full working computer & printer as well.

Bottom line: Lounge was great...not sure it's worth it and a little offputting as an RA to have to pay so much. Lots of confusion & omissions at checkin.
Room was fine, comfortable...nothing to complain about except missing bathrobe/slippers.

I'll have to think long and hard about staying here again. My decision will be rate-driven as there certainly is not much amenity-wise to attract. I hope that IHG does make club access a consistent privilege to RA.

Safe travels to everyone.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Have a reservation for tomorrow in a one bedroom suite. Contacted the hotel to ask about the ambassador upgrade and they told me that "99.5% of intercontinental's provide upgrades but unfortunately we do not", I do not find this correct or acceptable. I don't care if I'm already booked into a suite - an upgrade is guaranteed. I will definitely not accept that answer at check in...
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG
Have a reservation for tomorrow in a one bedroom suite. Contacted the hotel to ask about the ambassador upgrade and they told me that "99.5% of intercontinental's provide upgrades but unfortunately we do not", I do not find this correct or acceptable. I don't care if I'm already booked into a suite - an upgrade is guaranteed. I will definitely not accept that answer at check in...
I would like to see how they justify this at check-in.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:51 am

Keep AMB number at hand. Call AMB line, and pass phone to front desk manager when needed.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by 336
Keep AMB number at hand. Call AMB line, and pass phone to front desk manager when needed.
Might also be an idea to print off the list of RA T + C's, and take that with you too.
If they cannot upgrade you further then they should reduce your rate by 2 room categories.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by turner32
Might also be an idea to print off the list of RA T + C's, and take that with you too.
If they cannot upgrade you further then they should reduce your rate by 2 room categories.
This is even better, the first night is booked into the one bedroom suite and the second night is in an executive king room (accelerate free night). They told me if I want to keep the suite for the second night I have to pay a $300 surcharge or move rooms - but the kicker is that the one bedroom suite is $658 while Executive king is $517 where do they get $300 from! 😂 😂😂

I love this property to death I think it's so beautiful but service is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I've had this same booking anomaly before booking into different room categories, specifically IC Dubai Marina and they said, ok as Amb we will upgrade the lower room category so you have the same room for duration of your stay and give you lounge access for a week.

That is customer service. Instead this one is offering no upgrades and hustling me for more money. Shame
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:40 am

This is even better, the first night is booked into the one bedroom suite and the second night is in an executive king room (accelerate free night). They told me if I want to keep the suite for the second night I have to pay a $300 surcharge or move rooms - but the kicker is that the one bedroom suite is $658 while Executive king is $517 where do they get $300 from! 😂 😂😂

I love this property to death I think it's so beautiful but service is one of the worst I've ever experienced
I really want to stay here, post refurb, but I refuse to under the current management. Mr Houdre is the clown that runs this Circus, so be sure to ask for him.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:45 am

I really want to stay here, post refurb, but I refuse to under the current management. Mr Houdre is the clown that runs this Circus, so be sure to ask for him.
the first time I stayed here was in 2014. I was only gold Amb but I was booked into the cheapest room category. Checked in at their ambassador desk with an incredible lady I wish I remembered her name. generally I'm not very high maintenance and I simply asked if I could have a room on a higher floor, she said actually, I have something special for you, and she gave me a junior suite. - this stay made IC Barclay my favorite hotel in the world- service was top notch, room was amazing, much better than I expected. Then the next morning my United flight to Dubai was cancelled and they rebooked me on LX A380 thru FRA. Cinderella story 😂
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

the first time I stayed here was in 2014. I was only gold Amb but I was booked into the cheapest room category. Checked in at their ambassador desk with an incredible lady I wish I remembered her name. generally I'm not very high maintenance and I simply asked if I could have a room on a higher floor, she said actually, I have something special for you, and she gave me a junior suite. - this stay made IC Barclay my favorite hotel in the world- service was top notch, room was amazing, much better than I expected. Then the next morning my United flight to Dubai was cancelled and they rebooked me on LX A380 thru FRA. Cinderella story 😂
My "Cinderalla story" was a Christmas maybe 5 years ago during the snow storms. Stayed at IC TS and left for JFK to take the flight home. Flight was cancelled, IC TS was the full, so booked IC Barclay on points for 1 night.
Arrived 20 mins after booking and asked about RA upgrade that had not yet been processed.
The agent said "You've got one of the best rooms in the house" handed me the key. Went to the room and he'd given us the 230SQM Barclay suite.
There was fruit and wine, and a note to a Mrs Vanderbilt, who is apparently part of the family of the people that built the hotel. Guessing she couldn't make it to NYC that night.
It was fantastic, but these Front Desk agents have been culled now, it seems. Replaced by robots whose job it is to upset people with status, and deny them their upgrades. A shame.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:24 am

I love this property to death I think it's so beautiful but service is one of the worst I've ever experienced. I've had this same booking anomaly before booking into different room categories, specifically IC Dubai Marina and they said, ok as Amb we will upgrade the lower room category so you have the same room for duration of your stay and give you lounge access for a week.

That is customer service. Instead this one is offering no upgrades and hustling me for more money. Shame
So, what happened?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I've stayed here before and was told I had to choose between my welcome gift and the fruit & water. I explained that they were two separate benefits.

Has anyone had recent luck getting both? I'm staying here tomorrow night and am going to push the subject. I find it unacceptable they don't abide by the IHG T&Cs. I will check-in prepared with a copy of them just in case. I know it sounds petty but for $600 per night and $30,000 a year which I spend, the least they can do is what they're supposed to do.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I've stayed here before and was told I had to choose between my welcome gift and the fruit & water. I explained that they were two separate benefits.

Has anyone had recent luck getting both? I'm staying here tomorrow night and am going to push the subject. I find it unacceptable they don't abide by the IHG T&Cs. I will check-in prepared with a copy of them just in case. I know it sounds petty but for $600 per night and $30,000 a year which I spend, the least they can do is what they're supposed to do.
I read a recent review, on IHG, I think, where the OP was told that IC Barclay does not participate in Ambassador program. Not sure how they managed to swing that, but the OP seems to have just accepted it without question.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I read a recent review, on IHG, I think, where the OP was told that IC Barclay does not participate in Ambassador program. Not sure how they managed to swing that, but the OP seems to have just accepted it without question.
Yikes, well I won't be as accepting.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66

Hahahah HAHA
Hahahahahahahha

You know this is Intercontinental Barclay right 😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.