Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win Promotion Fall 2013

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I'm Platinum Elite through Barclaycard (UK) and scarcely stay with IHG, my last stay being award nights in Sydney and Bangkok in December last year.

This is what I got:

Try one and done: 1,000
Stay 4 nights: 9,600
Stay 2 different brands: 30,000
Book 2 separate stays: 6,000
Survey the win: 100
2 stays in Australia and Japan: 7,200
Stay 2 Saturday nights: 7,200
Win big by completing all offers: 61,000

Total: 122,100
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:42 am

Seems like I got a good deal for this promo:

Try one and done = 1,000
Stay more (5 nights) = 10,100
Explore brands (3 brands) = 33,000
Book with us (2 stays) = 6,000
Survey = 100
City life (2 cities) = 10,800
(Sao Paulo, Vancouver, Montreal, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington DC, Mexico City)
Win Big = 61,000

Total = 122,000
Which I can complete with 5 nights, so should be able to get ~4 cents per point plus whatever additional earned for staying/booking/credit card. (assuming no additional travel costs if I can combine with upcoming travel or have a friend/relative check-in for me)

My recent IHG activity is 5 points breaks nights (Chicago, Tblisisi) and a couple upcoming reservations for paid nights.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:46 am

Offers:
Survey - 100
One and Done 1 night - 1000
2 Saturdays - 7200
Stay more Win more 5 nights - 10100
2 IHG brands - 18000
2 Cities - 18000
Complete all offers - 54000
Total 108400

Mine seems totally doable as the 2 city nights include LA, SF, Vancouver, NYC, Denver, all cities that I can visit. 2 brands is also less than what I've seen from others. 5 nights is way less than what I've seen. Looks like I had a pretty good draw! The only problem is I'm currently based in Asia so I'll need to find some business trips back to the States in Q4.

I thought I had a good draw until the post above me. That's a really good draw especially for me as I can visit Australia and Japan on weekends where I'm based now!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by milevalue
Looks like I have the best one so far. Lucky me!

153,700 for four nights.

Try one and done. 1,000 points for one stay at an IHG property.
Book with us. 6,000 points for booking two separate stays through an IHG hotel website or mobile device.
Survey the win. 100 points for completing a survey.
Live the city life. 18,000 points for staying at any two of five listed hotels.
Explore our brands. 30,000 points for staying at two different IHG brands.
Stay more & earn more. 9,600 points for staying four total nights.
Win in a weekend. 12,000 points for staying two Saturday nights.
Win big. 77,000 more points for completing all the offers.

My history is that I have never completed a paid stay. I have only ever purchased points for 0.7 cents and redeemed them for PointBreaks, a mistake 10k rate at Holiday Inn in Munich, and two nights at a Holiday Inn in Montevideo.

My life would be a lot easier if I can stay in two cities at any of the dozens of listed hotels instead of just the five example hotels. I hope the former is the case. In that case, I'd do three nights including a Saturday in Los Angeles and one Saturday night somewhere else as a mattress run (San Fran?).
Wow, you got lucky. This does seem to be the best offer by far. A mattress run to get the two cities seems worthwhile.

My offer is for a total of around 90K, which seems like about the median among those reported here. It's amazing how much the points, and especially the number of total nights for that element, vary.

Mine is pretty doable (24 nights, which is about what I had targeted anyway for RA renewal). The "Live the city life" options are all at least 2,500 miles away from my base and I am not sure that I will visit two of them in the next few months, though it should be feasible to sneak in a trip to Paris or London (maybe a London Indigo to kill two birds with one stone). I wonder why I got the Europe cities -- my listed address is the U.S. and most of my stays in the past couple of years have been in the Middle East.

Originally Posted by Shimon
The cities I have to visit are all in Muslim countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia...). My last stay was in Israel and I've never had any stays in any Muslim countries... good job to whoever came up with the algorithm for the city selections! Maybe they could also bring us peace....
Hilarious. Maybe they are targeting regions (or parts of the U.S. in the case of U.S.-based travelers) that the member has traveled to a bit, but not a lot? Bad luck for you that one such region may be the Middle East; they should do like FIFA and include Israel as part of the Europe region.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Much like with Crack the Case, this promo has me strategizing my remaining 2013 stays all within IHG.

Well done. It is doing its job.
+1 I liked Crack the Case (I made it) and this one. I give them credit for something that's fun -- well-suited to hotel geeks who are geographically- and brand-aware and have spreadsheets to track such things. More interesting than a straightforward bonus, and, as you say, it makes me think about ICHG a bit more than I otherwise would. They really are promoting behavior that equates to loyalty.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I'm a Platinum RA (thanks to a referral) with not a lot of paid stays in my history, which may explain why my offer, while not as gentle as my Crack the Case offer and a bit of a stretch for me (especially since I am going to be doing the Hyatt fall promo/requalifying for Diamond at the same time), seems both doable and worth doing:

1 stay: 1K
10 nights: 12.5K
3 brands: 21K
Survey: .1K
3 stays in European cities: 12.6K
4 Saturday nights: 9.6K
1 pay w/ IHG Visa: 2.3K
Big Win: 65K

Total: 124.1K
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:21 am

Try one and done = 1,000
Stay more (13 nights) = 13,100
Explore brands (5 brands) = 18,000
Book with us (3 stays) = 2,800
Survey = 100
Win all over the world (2 cities) = 5,700

Madrid
Madrid, Gran Via
Amsterdam
Crowne Plaza, AmsterdaSouth
Munich
Munich, Messe
Paris
InterContinental, Aven Marceau
London
Holiday Inn, Heathrow
Win in a weekend. 4 Saturday stays 6,400
Win Big = 47,000
Total possible = 94,100

I will end up doing these
Try one and done = 1,000
Stay more (13 nights) = 13,100
Explore brands (5 brands) = 18,000
Book with us (3 stays) = 2,800
Survey = 100

Saturday stays and the world challenge are not happening for me. I would do the Saturday stays if the world challenge wasnt so hard for me. I have 25 stays with IHG this year, one stay in Belgium which led to my world challenge. That will teach me to ever book overseas again, lol
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blindman
Scroll down the page where you registered...
Thanks!

My rewards are:

1. Try one - 1,000 points
2. Stay more, earn more - 25,000 points (28 nights)
3. Explore our brands - 27,000 points (5 different brands)
4. Share your opinion to win - 100 points
5. Stay on the weekend to win - 18,000 points (7 Sat. nights)
6. Get out there - 10,800 points (2 locations in Brazil, Canada & USA)
7. Win big - 82,000 points (Completion of these offers)

Total = 163,900 points

Last edited by Dark Blue; Aug 28, 2013 at 10:27 am
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Stupid offer. I live in the UK and my get out there countries are Australia and Japan. I last stayed in a IHG hotel in Australia nearly 3 years ago and have never been to Japan. No incentive at all. Won't induce me to stay at IHG hotel. Just plain stupid.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:19 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly, if your stays are mostly on Saturday nights you don't get the Saturday night option.

FWIW, the mix I'm offered is:

Try one and done: 1000 points
Stay more and earn more (9 nights): 8000
Explore our brands (2 brands): 12000
Survey the win: 100
Live the city life (London, Paris, Madrid, Munich, Amsterdam): 12000
Win big: 33000

Of those I'll only get the 1000 option - aside from the odd foreign holiday I only stay at one particular Holiday Inn in the middle of nowhere.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:49 pm
Company Representative - Priority Club Rewards by InterContinental Hotel Group

Programs: Priority Club Rewards & InterContinental Ambassador
The Big Win Promotion: Q&A

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to chime in to answer questions asked about the promotion in this thread. I've read through the entire thread, and I *think* I've answered most of them. Let me know if you have additional questions or if I missed something!

• Reward Nights, Points & Cash, and Point Breaks stays do not count as stays towards the offers in this promotion.
  • Changing earning preferences: If you choose to change your earning preference, you will continue to earn your original earning preference through the end of the campaign. After the campaign, you'll need to contact the service center who can assist in converting your earnings into your new preference.
  • Holiday Inn Resort is considered a Holiday Inn stay
  • Dining offer: can be spread out among several stays, but the charges must be billed to the room . Ex: $320 dining spend can be acheived over multiple stays
  • Stays do not need to be re-booked on or after Sep 1st to count, as long as they are consumed during the promo period.
  • *edited*BPG bookings that include paid nights will count as stays for this promotion as long as the rate submitted for the BPG claim is a qualifying rate.
  • Bonus points received during this promotion will not count towards Elite status.
  • If you check-in before September 1st, but check-out after September 1st...your stay will count.
  • Bonus Point Package rates are stackable. Meaning if you book a 5,000 point bonus package, you will receive your base points, 5K bonus points, and any promotional bonus points that are assocaited with that stay.
  • IKEX3 does not count as it is a non-Q rate.
  • For the "Stay More" offer, nights to not have to be consecutive to qualify for this offer.

Whew. That was a lot, I hope that I answered all the Q's. Please let me know if you have additional questions or if I missed anything asked previously in the thread!

Thanks,

Carolyn

Last edited by IHGRewardsClub; Oct 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm Reason: Additional information regarding BPG
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:32 pm

Carolyn, thank you for the Q&A.

I wander if my understanding is correct.
If I check in on August 31 and check out on September 1, will this stay count as a valid stay in this Win Big promotion? I suppose the answer is no.
Another case is if I check in on August 31 and check out on September 2, will the August 31 (Saturday) night stay count as a valid stay and satisfy the Saturday night stay requirement?

[QUOTE=IHGRewardsClub;21351708]Hi Everyone!

[*]If you check-in before September 1st, but check-out after September 1st...your stay will count.

Last edited by bigjimmy; Aug 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Aug 28, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by IHGRewardsClub
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to chime in to answer questions asked about the promotion in this thread. I've read through the entire thread, and I *think* I've answered most of them. Let me know if you have additional questions or if I missed something!

• Reward Nights, Points & Cash, and Point Breaks stays do not count as stays towards the offers in this promotion.
  • Changing earning preferences: If you choose to change your earning preference, you will continue to earn your original earning preference through the end of the campaign. After the campaign, you'll need to contact the service center who can assist in converting your earnings into your new preference.
  • Holiday Inn Resort is considered a Holiday Inn stay
  • Dining offer: can be spread out among several stays, but the charges must be billed to the room . Ex: $320 dining spend can be acheived over multiple stays
  • Stays do not need to be re-booked on or after Sep 1st to count, as long as they are consumed during the promo period.
  • BRG bookings will count as stays for this promo
  • Bonus points received during this promotion will not count towards Elite status.
  • If you check-in before September 1st, but check-out after September 1st...your stay will count.
  • Bonus Point Package rates are stackable. Meaning if you book a 5,000 point bonus package, you will receive your base points, 5K bonus points, and any promotional bonus points that are assocaited with that stay.
  • IKEX3 does not count as it is a non-Q rate.
  • For the "Stay More" offer, nights to not have to be consecutive to qualify for this offer.

Whew. That was a lot, I hope that I answered all the Q's. Please let me know if you have additional questions or if I missed anything asked previously in the thread!

Thanks,

Carolyn
Carolyn

Perhaps you could comment on why so many loyal members that use IHG regularly have been hit with totally unachievable targets? And why everyone has a different total of "available" points.

Is IHG trying to chase these loyal customers away?

I have written to your CEO to get his views as to the science behind this promotion as all it is doing is making me stay at another chain as I have no chance of getting more than 1100 points
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold Elite, VS Red
Originally Posted by JMC2
Carolyn

Perhaps you could comment on why so many loyal members that use IHG regularly have been hit with totally unachievable targets? And why everyone has a different total of "available" points.

Is IHG trying to chase these loyal customers away?
Indeed. I have
Stay a total of 44 nights and receive 38,400 Points
which would be nice, except my "loadsa travelling" was last year, and apart from one or two nights away here and there, Im now home based.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by IHGRewardsClub
[*]If you check-in before September 1st, but check-out after September 1st...your stay will count.
I've got a 3 night IC stay, checking out on Sept 1st. Does that count?

And I hope you are getting the message that us loyal regular customers are not being allowed to earn points in this promo. We've been given unrealistic hurdles. I have Royal Ambassador status which is nice, but for my non-IC stays I might as well choose Starwood or Hilton since I will earn bonus points there, unlike IHG for the rest of 2013.

And while I'm at it, when is IHG going to really become a rewarding program and give full points for money spent at non-North American IC's? Most of my stays are at Euro IC's so I can't really earn points with your program other than the Ambassador Accelerator, which seems to be going away at the end of this year? Right?

Thanks for answering my questions!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
This is a very interesting promotion with the variety of requirements. Some requirements are way out of line -- overseas stay requirements, 88 room nights, 9 Saturday nights, etc.

I got a decent and doable offer, almost the same as #86. Only 4 nights for 72,300 points. About 3 years ago I did a lot of nights from a consulting assignment, with only free nights and occasional point breaks since then. I do have Priority Club Visa but use it to carry a balance, never for regular spending, and used the free nights in NYC last year and Paris this year. So this promotion will likely get some paid room nights from me for the first time in years.

Try One And Done -- 1000 points
Stay More And Earn More -- 6400 points for 4 nights
Explore Our Brands -- 20000 points for just 2 brands
Book With Us -- 4000 points for 2 separate stays booked online OR mobile
Survey The Win -- 100 points for a survey
Win In A Weekend -- 4800 points for 2 Saturday nights
Spend It And Get It -- book and pay for 1 stay with IHG / Priority Club Visa and get 1500 points (not required for me, but was for #86)
Win Big -- complete all your offers and receive 36,000 points (#86 had 38,000)

My wife's offer is worse than mine -- 2 cities in Europe, only 12,000 for the 2 brands, and 31,000 Win Big, for 61,700 total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.