Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer Membership

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer Membership

Hi Experts!

I am an occasional traveler. I have around 1600 miles under lotus miles (Vietnam Airlines frequent flyer program). I will most likely be travelling from Singapore to Vancouver (round-trip) via Korean Airlines in the upcoming months.

Should I sign up for a new membership under Korean Airlines? Or should I just use Lotusmiles?

Thank you.
Old May 28, 2016, 10:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As TalkBoard Topics forum is concerned with FlyerTalk's elected representatives dealing with certain administrative and organisational issues, we will move this to the Information Desk forum, where new members are welcomed and there are resources on selecting frequent flyer programs amongs the many available.

JDiver, Moderator
Technical Support and Feedback forum
Old May 28, 2016, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk tkytky

It is generally a good idea to collect miles in one programme rather than earning in multiple programmes and not having enough miles in any for status/award benefits. As it happens Vietnam Airlines and Korean Air are both in Sky Team, so you can credit the miles to your existing account (unless it is a cheap fare that is not mileage earning on Vietnam Airlines).
Old May 28, 2016, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An eligible KE flight could credit to the Vietnam Airlines frequent flyer program.
http://www.wheretocredit.com/korean-air

What are your long term objectives from a ffp? Be careful about expiry
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 29, 2016 at 12:06 am
Old May 29, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thank you for the replies. This forum is very responsive! Anyway, I would like to ask a question.

I have accumulated some miles on Vietnam Airlines. I was wondering if these miles are considered "redeemed" into my miles account or can I transfer these miles to the frequent flyer program of Korean air? This means that I have already input my ticket information into Vietnam Airlines website and the miles are in my account. Can I still transfer these miles into Korean Air's miles?

Thank you.
Old May 29, 2016, 5:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by tkytky
I have accumulated some miles on Vietnam Airlines. I was wondering if these miles are considered "redeemed" into my miles account or can I transfer these miles to the frequent flyer program of Korean air? This means that I have already input my ticket information into Vietnam Airlines website and the miles are in my account. Can I still transfer these miles into Korean Air's miles?
No. With a few exceptions you cannot transfer miles between different programs.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tkytky
This means that I have already input my ticket information into Vietnam Airlines website and the miles are in my account. Can I still transfer these miles into Korean Air's miles?
As above, you cannot transfer miles from 1 ffp to another ffp.
You enter your Vietnam Airlines freq flyer number into the Korean reservation. If an eligible flight you will get miles in your VN freq flyer account for the KE flight
Some low prices (booking class) fares may not earn VN miles
You need to find out the fare booking class (not the economy business first cabin)
http://www.wheretocredit.com/korean-air

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.