Wiki Posts
Search

When to book a hotel in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:17 am
Original Poster

When to book a hotel in Japan?

Hello everyone, I have some questions and hope someone can help me out a bit:

I have already booked a flight to Osaka, Japan from 6th April until 25th April.

Now I am looking for a hotel. I would like to stay at a 4* (or higher) hotel, and I am looking for a deal that will cost not more than 100€/night.
I would not mind changing hotels during my stay there (if it is more likely to get deals for shorter stays).

So, my questions:

Do you think it is a good idea to book ultra last minute and catch a great deal for maybe even a 5* hotel?
Or is this very unlikely and the opposite will be the case: hotels will be fully booked and I will not even find a 4* hotel at a lower rate?
Would it therefore be better to book the hotel asap?
Should I go to the usual internet pages that compare fares to find the hotels or do you have a better source for deals?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT, Mishkin!

I think that the likelihood of getting a 4* hotel in Osaka for under €100 per night is extremely remote. My guess (supported by a very quick search) is that the western brands will all be at €150-€250 minimum per night, even booking now. Forget 5*, that will set you back at least €300. You can probably get it a little cheaper by searching in blocks of dates (say three days at a time), but this will involve a bit of work, of course, and you'll probably move around a lot. I think it's very unlikely to get cheaper from now on.

You may wish to contact a few hotels directly and enquire locally about an extended stay price. This is usually up to the manager so won't show up on internet pricing.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:12 am

Do not book last minute - especially for Osaka which has very high occupancy (lots of Chinese tourists and other reasons). Book immediately. Likely a 3 star at that budget. Perhaps look into AirBnB if you are staying longer. Be careful about selecting location or you will be spending all your time in transit.

Options in Tokyo are better - but again - best to book ahead.

April is very busy.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: Skywards
Book ASAP. Depending on your lifestyle requirement/budget, I'd reconsider your price range or look at lower rating accommodation.

There has been a massive influx of tourists to Japan recently, especially areas like Kyoto. Osaka actually isn't all that bad, Tokyo is also doable. 4* hotels will set you back at minimum 200USD/night. Also keep in mind that in many of these hotels, pool and gym use aren't included in the fee!!! At any rate, for April we're already looking at 80% occupation rates in Osaka, so no time to waste.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:25 am
In Memoriam

hotels in Japan

Mishkin, welcome to FT! I arr. NRT 11APR and depart NRT 25APR. I will use JR Pass for 2 weeks to ride the trains. I will stay in Kanazawa first, used booking.com for the hotel there(close to JR Station), 2nd stop will be in the 'Hells" area of Beppu(used airbnb.com), then Hakata using airbnb.com to secure an apartment(close to JR Station) and final stop will be Narita City for the last night in Japan(used booking.com).
If u have any ?'s or care to meet up let me know.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the answers.

I actually went on a site that looks for hotel deals and found this pattern:

Hotel prices are high from now until about 3 weeks. Then there is a time period of about 2 weeks when the prices are really low (29 Feb onward) - many discounts in higher classed hotels.
After those two weeks - 5 weeks from now, the prices sky-rocket (Easter holidays could be a reason).
After that, prices go down, but only slightly. Far from those bargains in 3 weeks.

I compared around 10 hotels for 1 week periods.

One particular 5* hotel (New Otani) has a rate of 89€ in the week from 29 Feb. - 6 Mar.
The same hotel has a rate of 358€ in the week from 21 Mar. - 27 Mar.
And it has a rate of 154€ in the week from 11 Apr. - 17 Apr.

Incredible price differences, and I am not sure if it has got to do with some kind of high and low season or with the time period from now until those certain dates.
I thought maybe the best time to book the hotel is 3 weeks in advance, but maybe that is the wrong conclusion?

I just could not find an explanation why prices would be high from now until in 3 weeks, then go down for 2 weeks, and then go up again... (and I thought that might be the 'magic' time window when to book the hotel)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:39 pm

Don't try to be too smart as you are likely to end up with a much higher rate or in a terrible location. It's not like Europe or the US where hotels dump inventory a day or two before at 50% off.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The price of a room in February or March is irrelevant if you are staying there in April; so are weekly movements. Play the game if you want, but my guess is that you'll end up screwed for a higher price or much reduced choice.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, will book hotel now!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Don't forget Spring is Sakura (cherry blossom) season, and that also might impact pricing (much as Koyo,(fall colors) impact prices in places like Nikko or Lake Chuzenji.

An excellent online resource - even has Sakura and Koyo calendars - is http://www.japan-guide.com.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Mishkin.

We're going to relocate this to the Japan Forum [Destination] for further insight.

But I would book ASAP as others have said, lots of properties selling out.

And a lot of us will be there a few days before you arrive it looks like

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...27-2016-a.html

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Early April is cherry blossom season so it is very high season in Kyoto, Osaka and many other places. Hotels will fill up fast and many will be sold out now. It is best to get your rooms settled as soon as possible. If you can't find what you want in Kyoto or Osaka, try Nara or even Kobe. They are all short train rides apart.

For an almost 3 week stay, I highly recommend seeing other parts of the country. After a week or so you may want to branch out. Buy a Japan Rail Pass (must be purchased before arriving in Japan) and take the bullet train to Tokyo, Kanazawa, Himeji, Hiroshima or even down to Kyushu to see Fukuoka (Hakata) and Nagasaki.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:27 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mishkin
One particular 5* hotel (New Otani) has a rate of 89€ in the week from 29 Feb. - 6 Mar.
The same hotel has a rate of 358€ in the week from 21 Mar. - 27 Mar.
And it has a rate of 154€ in the week from 11 Apr. - 17 Apr.
The last week of March in Osaka:
  • Japanese school holidays (Easter is not celebrated in Japan)
  • High school baseball tournament at Koshien
  • Sumo tournament until 27 March
  • Start of baseball season (Hanshin Tigers) 25-27 March
  • Cherry blossom season (though it will be a little late this year and the best time will be the first 10 days in April)
  • FlyerTalk Japan Do 4
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> Osaka, Japan from 6th April until 25th April.

For the first and 2nd week of April in Osaka, you are too late. I booked mine in November/December. Latest would be to book in January for hotels that open their reservation 3 months in advance.

For the first 2 weekends in April, Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto are pretty much sold out.

>> 100€/night

a 3* business hotel single room, at best, for weekends.

For 3 weeks, if you don't plan to go north towards Tokyo and beyond, the various JR West, JR Shikoku, and Kintetsu regional passes are much better value and let you travel at a more leisurely pace.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:09 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Mishkin
I stayed at New Otani in Tokyo, for work related trip. Cup of coffee and a sandwich was $39. Just FYI. Breakfast is not included in the rate.

Last edited by invisible; Feb 14, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.