Wiki Posts
Search

US Customs Form

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
US Customs Form

Curious... instead of wasting time at the airport filling out the customs form... can I fill out the form on the following website online then print it out and give it to the officer at the airport?

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...lable%29_0.pdf

PS I sent them an e-mail but it should take them 2-3 weeks to get back to me. Was just curious if the FT community had anything to say
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't know the answer to that, but filling out the customs form in the airplane usually takes me all of 30 seconds, considerably faster than I could fill it out online and print it.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Isn't there also an APP now from CBP?

The fillable+print option seems useful though as I have GE via Nexus it's not something I do anymore. Your location says US/CA is Nexus an option for you?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Curious... instead of wasting time at the airport filling out the customs form... can I fill out the form on the following website online then print it out and give it to the officer at the airport?

http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...lable%29_0.pdf

PS I sent them an e-mail but it should take them 2-3 weeks to get back to me. Was just curious if the FT community had anything to say
Good question, but I don't have a definitive answer. I'd guess that a form is a form, and that technically you should be able to print out at home and fill out in advance. Will CBP be happy to accept it? I'd imagine they have a drawer or box that completed customs forms go into. Handing them an 8.5x11 may not be appreciated.

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Isn't there also an APP now from CBP?

The fillable+print option seems useful though as I have GE via Nexus it's not something I do anymore. Your location says US/CA is Nexus an option for you?
There is a mobile passport control app that is published by Airside Mobile Inc. and approved by USCBP. Currently available at only a few airports in the US.
Mobile Passport Control App Released by CBP | FlyerTalk (Travel Safety/Security-Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate)

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...ssport-control
http://mobilepassport.us/
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Surely it's just an invitation for a secondary screening by drawing attention to yourself?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't know the answer to that, but filling out the customs form in the airplane usually takes me all of 30 seconds, considerably faster than I could fill it out online and print it.
Flying canada to USA we clear customs on the Can side so we need to fill out the customs form before boarding the plane.

@yoshi I think the app is only available if travelling out of Hartsfield?

@scott yah, I thought of that - the paper dimension size could be an issue

@ajeleonard it can save me quite a bit of time. When flying YUL-MIA there's always a log jam of people frantically filling out the form and sometimes I'm even waiting in line to grab a form because of the sheer amount of people.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Flying canada to USA we clear customs on the Can side so we need to fill out the customs form before boarding the plane.
When I first replied I did so from the app, so I couldn't see your location. Now I see your point.

Whenever I flew transborder out of YYZ, I'd either have the form filled out already (I'd keep a stack at home) or do it in that snaking line on the way to meet the friendly folks at the booths. But I do see your point.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The app is available for many ports of entry, if not all.

In some US airports, you don't fill out the form at all, but rather fill in all the same info in a computer terminal that fills it out for you - and prints your picture on it.

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I always fill out the paper customs form on the plane. For some reason my documents do not work in the machines, so I don't have to wait to get to a machine and go directly to the line for immigration officers.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
If it's seriously slowing you down (and for people with arthritis and some other disabilities, it may take more time), consider picking up some extra blank forms next time you're flying internationally and then filling the form out before leaving for the airport.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I got a reply from the CBP:

Dear XXXX,

You can fill out the form and print it out ahead of time.

XXXX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.