Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

CBP has backed an app for mobile devices that may help speed up things to clear US passport control. Initially pilot is at ATL, but I've already got the app even as ATL is an airport I rarely use as a US POE.

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national...-app-available

From the announcement press release:

Mobile Passport Control (MPC) will allow eligible travelers to submit their passport information and customs declaration form via a smartphone or tablet prior to CBP inspection. This first-of-its-kind app was developed by Airside Mobile and Airports Council International-North America (ACI-NA) in partnership with CBP as part of a pilot program at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. IPhone and iPad users can download the app for free from Apple’s App Store.
ATL is the pilot.

To find the app in the Apple App Store, search for Airside or Airside Mobile. That should help get you to Mobile Passport - Officially authorized app for download.

So now I can use Global Entry kiosks, Automated Passport Control kiosks, traditional staffed station processing, or "Mobile Passport Control". It's nice to see CBP jumping in on the experimentation game if only to speed things up.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This thing only works for US and some Canadian passport holders.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Easy-peasy and thank you for this ^ (and now hoping the pilot at ATL goes well and it expands to other airports)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's a very easy app to use. It involves taking your picture and putting in your passport biodata page details and a few other steps for actual use. Some of the additional steps have to be timed properly -- as in not more than say X hours before arrival or flight, and as in not doing the finalization process until on the ground using wifi network and doing so no more than two hours prior to presenting the receipt or something like that. [I don't have all the details on this -- as I haven't been into ATL yet using this app -- and I haven't had it looked at in extensive detail yet. I am saying I need check this out more or you need to do your own due diligence on it.]

This does have me wondering if/when this will mark the formal end of the no-phone/camera use policy/practices at CBP clearance facilities where this app is a means to facilitate CBP clearance of passengers.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Any word on when the app will be available for Android?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
Any word on when the app will be available for Android?
They likely chose one airport and one platform for the pilot. If successful and they move forward with it, they'll probably expand it to Android.

Or maybe they'll piss off a lot of people and make it an iOS exclusive

Edit:

If you read the FAQ on their website, it mentions this:

Who can use the Mobile Passport App?
US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App. You must have an Apple iPhone or other iOS device that can connect to the internet. A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:00 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Tip: I tried searching for "Mobile Passport Control" and "MPC" at the App Store without it finding anything. So I searched for "Airside Mobile" and it found it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by xero9
They likely chose one airport and one platform for the pilot. If successful and they move forward with it, they'll probably expand it to Android.

Or maybe they'll piss off a lot of people and make it an iOS exclusive

Edit:

If you read the FAQ on their website, it mentions this:

Who can use the Mobile Passport App?
US citizens with a valid US passport and Canadian citizens with both a valid Canadian passport and B1 or B2 visa status may use the Mobile Passport App. You must have an Apple iPhone or other iOS device that can connect to the internet. A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
Thanks. I didn't have the patience to go to the FAQ :-)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by rwmiller56
Thanks. I didn't have the patience to go to the FAQ :-)
I didn't either at first, but then curiosity got the best of me
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:33 pm

Interesting, especially because of no cell phones in the inspection area rule.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So now I can use Global Entry kiosks,
Since there is currently no way to add your Global Entry number into the form, you still need to carry your card. At least that is how I interpret it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Since there is currently no way to add your Global Entry number into the form, you still need to carry your card. At least that is how I interpret it.
wasn't aware there was a Global Entry card. I applied for SENTRI and Global Entry simultaneously and I was just given a CBP sticker for my passport. There was a card for SENTRI but that is no good for international flights.

Either way, assuming most don't have this card, you would still have to carry your passport on an international flight regardless so it wouldn't be much different other than not having to go through the kiosks, saving a little bit of time.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by xero9
A Google Android version of the app will be available in the fall of 2014
The REAL question is when will a Windows Phone app come out
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Just because someone has GE status and may use the GE kiosks doesn't mean they must always use the GE process where it is available; instead of using the GE kiosks, the other CBP-approved alternatives are allowed too.

To use this app for arrival into the US at ATL, a US citizen using a US passport need not be a Global Entry member and need not have the GE card. [While most GE applicants who have had valid GE membership seem to have been issued GE cards, not all have been issued such cards -- preciously GE stickers were provided for passport cover placement.]

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xchpstang
wasn't aware there was a Global Entry card. I applied for SENTRI and Global Entry simultaneously and I was just given a CBP sticker for my passport. There was a card for SENTRI but that is no good for international flights.

Either way, assuming most don't have this card, you would still have to carry your passport on an international flight regardless so it wouldn't be much different other than not having to go through the kiosks, saving a little bit of time.
If you applied early for GE, cards weren't available, although you can go back to GEOS or whateverr it's called and request a GE card for your account. I think the fee is about $10. The card is mailed to you and uses the photo taken at your GE interview. It's an alternative government issued photo ID but cannot be used as a substitute for your passport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.