Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Lounge Access

Hi, I'm kind of new to premium travel, having flown Economy Class for most of my life.
I have a couple of questions about award bookings that I recently made:

(1) I am flying Asiana JFK-ICN; ICN-MNL in C in January.
I'm returning with ANA MNL-HND in C. Then, a few days later, NRT-IAD with ANA in F, then United IAD-EWR in Y.

Which lounges would I have access to on this itinerary?
I tried to google this info, but I'm a little confused, as it's not entirely clear what I am entitled to.

(2) I just booked American Airlines r/t JFK-CUN in Business Class (738) for my brother. He is leaving on Nov 19.
Is he entitled to use any lounges at all on this trip, or do I have to purchase lounge passes for him? AA's website did not shed any light on this, but I've read on some blogs that AA does not grant lounge access to their premium passengers flying to Canada and/or Mexico from the U.S. Is this true?

Thanks

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:50 pm

For trip 1 you will have access to the SWISS lounge at JFK, the OZ J lounge at ICN, SQ and TG at MNL, and ANA F (suite) and UA F lounges at HND. If you have *G status you will have additional lounges you can access
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
For trip 1 you will have access to the SWISS lounge at JFK, the OZ J lounge at ICN, SQ and TG at MNL, and ANA F (suite) and UA F lounges at HND. If you have *G status you will have additional lounges you can access
Thanks so much.

I did make a couple of mistakes in my post. I forgot to mention that my Manila-Haneda segment with ANA is in C (not F).
I also misled you into thinking that I am returning from Manila to Newark on the same day. Actually, I'm staying in Tokyo for 4 nights before heading back to Newark. Sorry.
In light of this, what lounges are available to me at MNL, flying ANA Business Class?
Also, is there an ANA Business Arrivals Lounge in Haneda?

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 14, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I just booked American Airlines r/t JFK-CUN in First Class (738) for my brother. He is leaving on Nov 19.
Is he entitled to use any lounges at all on this trip, or do I have to purchase lounge passes for him?"

AA flights to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean do not offer First Class, only Business and Coach. Business Class tickets on these routes do not include lounge access, except for Business Class flights to/from Mexico City (MEX).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I just booked American Airlines r/t JFK-CUN in First Class (738) for my brother. He is leaving on Nov 19.
Is he entitled to use any lounges at all on this trip, or do I have to purchase lounge passes for him?"

AA flights to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean do not offer First Class, only Business and Coach. Business Class tickets on these routes do not include lounge access, except for Business Class flights to/from Mexico City (MEX).
Thanks. I guess I'll purchase a lounge pass for him then.
I actually meant domestic First Class, which is quite different from international first, or even Business Class.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by joer1212
(1) I am flying Asiana JFK-ICN; ICN-MNL in C in January.
I'm returning with ANA MNL-HND in C. Then, a few days later, NRT-IAD with ANA in F, then United IAD-EWR in Y.

Which lounges would I have access to on this itinerary?
I tried to google this info, but I'm a little confused, as it's not entirely clear what I am entitled to.
Just use this site to get information (and maps) to the Star Alliance Lounges that you're entitled to as C/F-cl passenger:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...lounge-finder/
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Just use this site to get information (and maps) to the Star Alliance Lounges that you're entitled to as C/F-cl passenger:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...lounge-finder/
Thanks.
When I type in my info, it suggests several lounges in different terminals. Are you even allowed to jump from terminal to terminal? Won't security deny you access if your boarding pass states you're departing from a different terminal?

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 15, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:01 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll purchase a lounge pass for him then.
I actually meant domestic First Class, which is quite different from international first, or even Business Class.
The seat will be the same as domestic first, but since it's international, it's branded as business
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks.
When I type in my info, it suggests several lounges in different terminals. Are you even allowed to jump from terminal to terminal? Won't security deny you access if your boarding pass states you're departing from a different terminal?
It depends on the airport. At some places, different terminals are connected airside. Others might allow you to do security twice, but there might not be enough time to go to the lounge and catch your flight. In many places, domestic and international (or schengen and nonschengen in Europe) are strict separations.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It depends on the airport. At some places, different terminals are connected airside. Others might allow you to do security twice, but there might not be enough time to go to the lounge and catch your flight. In many places, domestic and international (or schengen and nonschengen in Europe) are strict separations.
Hmm. What about in JFK? I would love to arrive there early and hit every lounge in every terminal that I have access to, just so I know what they're like.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hmm. What about in JFK? I would love to arrive there early and hit every lounge in every terminal that I have access to, just so I know what they're like.
At best, you can only get into the lounges operated by your own departing airline and its partners or other contract lounge with which the airline has a relationship. At JFK, some terminals are connected airside (i.e., DL's JFK jitney bus between T4 and T2) but AFAIK you can only generally access the terminal from which your flight departs.

Normally it's best to just use the lounge to which your airline sends you. Then if there's a delay or other problem, you're kept up to date on the situation. In some places, the lounge will announce when you should go to the gate to board, but you shouldn't rely on this.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Last edited by joer1212; Nov 23, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At best, you can only get into the lounges operated by your own departing airline and its partners or other contract lounge with which the airline has a relationship. At JFK, some terminals are connected airside (i.e., DL's JFK jitney bus between T4 and T2) but AFAIK you can only generally access the terminal from which your flight departs.

Normally it's best to just use the lounge to which your airline sends you. Then if there's a delay or other problem, you're kept up to date on the situation. In some places, the lounge will announce when you should go to the gate to board, but you shouldn't rely on this.
Would you know if Air India's lounge in JFK would be accessible to me? I've been getting conflicting info about this. I would think so, since OZ and AI are both *A. If I could do the Swiss and Air India lounges, I would get my lounge fix for the day
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Would you know if Air India's lounge in JFK would be accessible to me? I've been getting conflicting info about this. I would think so, since OZ and AI are both *A. If I could do the Swiss and Air India lounges, I would get my lounge fix for the day
In the winter the Air India lounge is open too late for you to get in, unless you plan on missing the flight. I'm not sure what the hours are for the Swiss lounge. All of this dependent how TSA is feeling that day whether they will let you in the terminal

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 30, 2014 at 3:15 pm
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
In the winter the Air India lounge is open too late for you to get in, unless you plan on missing the flight. I'm not sure what the hours are for the Swiss lounge. All of this dependent how TSA is feeling that day whether they will let you in the terminal
Oh, I can get into the Swiss lounge because my OZ flight operates out of the same terminal. The only issue is if it will be open. My flight leaves at 1pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.