Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Would missing a leg cancel the rest of the flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:36 am
Original Poster

I'll be flying to Europe in June. I oriignally was planning on flying to London, but it was $200 cheaper to fly to Dublin. I booked my flights through Priceline and to get to Dublin I will be stopping in London. If I end up wanting to could I just stay in London and not fly to Dublin? I'm concerned that not getting on the last flight, to Dublin, would cause them to cancel my return flight, from Timasoara to Orange County.

This is my first time flying so I'm sorry if this is common knowledge. Not really experienced with this stuff.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Hi there and welcome to Flyertalk.

This question comes up a lot and the answer is: not if you want to come home. You are correct that failing to board the London-Dublin segment would result in your return trip being cancelled.

The basic reason is that you bought a ticket to Dublin, not London, and Dublin is less expensive because of the competitive presence there of Aer Lingus, which charges lower prices. Fares are not based on distance but on the level of competition between any two city pairs.

On a return flight itinerary, you can walk away from a final segment if you have no checked bags, don't have a frequent flyer number entered (the airlines can and sometimes will seize your account for this transgression), and don't do it too often. But on the outbound flight you pretty much finish yourself off if you drop off the trip in midstream.

Enjoy your journey!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And UK has the APD on departures, which does not apply to transits such as DUB-LHR-where ever
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mojoe24
I'll be flying to Europe in June. I oriignally was planning on flying to London, but it was $200 cheaper to fly to Dublin. I booked my flights through Priceline and to get to Dublin I will be stopping in London. If I end up wanting to could I just stay in London and not fly to Dublin? I'm concerned that not getting on the last flight, to Dublin, would cause them to cancel my return flight, from Timasoara to Orange County.

This is my first time flying so I'm sorry if this is common knowledge. Not really experienced with this stuff.
Very often it does result in cancelling the rest of the flights on a given itinerary; however, sometimes it does not. It's less of a gamble to assume the rest of the flights will be cancelled if you no-show for an earlier flight on a ticketed PNR and voluntarily try to skip to fly another portion of your ticketed itinerary.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: AS MVP
My wife is missing a leg, and we fly regularly with no problems. We do, however, fly all the segments we book except perhaps the last one
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I guess I'll just get a flight back to London. It's still cheaper than flying to London directly. I just wasn't sure because my return flight is with a different airlines and from a different country.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mojoe24
Thanks. I guess I'll just get a flight back to London. It's still cheaper than flying to London directly. I just wasn't sure because my return flight is with a different airlines and from a different country.
When you say it is with a different airline, is your return ticket on a separate PNR or did you book a round trip with just an open jaw?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:45 pm

Why not fly to Dublin and then to London with a low cost carrier? You may well find that is cheaper still.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 pm

bit off topic, but IF your return/onward flight(s) is/are operated by a different airline (and since you also seem to have open jaw involved), your chances might be bit better. i once had a ticket RGNxKULxNRT/---/LAXxJFKxHELoBKKoKULxRGN. I missed first three flights (operated by MH and JL), but was still able to board AA flight from LAX to JFK few months later and also use both AY longhauls (JFK-HEL and HEL-BKK). Last two segments (op by MH) were cancelled however from the day I missed my outbound segments and MH was not eager to reinstate them back. So YMMV.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Just a possible caveat here

While it's obvious that your flight from the US to London is likely on an American carrier, your London-Dublin-London flights are most likely Aer Lingus (flight numbers have an "EI" prefix).

You CAN still break your travel in London, but this should ideally be on your outbound journey.

You should be going over to Dublin just before heading home, because ideally your homebound journey should be commencing in Dublin via London to avoid the onerous UK taxes / APD.

Perhaps others may have more current info as things do change!

Enjoy England, but don't miss the chance for a day or two in Dublin; you'll never regret it!

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraff...e16Camera6.jpg

Last edited by TemboOne; Apr 23, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Airbridge
Why not fly to Dublin and then to London with a low cost carrier? You may well find that is cheaper still.
He's in Orange County, on the U.S. west coast so his access to LCCs is somewhat limited. Also, for a new first-time-traveller going on LCCs could be pretty scary given their often unpredictable schedule changes at short notice.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

can we add a sticky for this question as it seems to be asked every week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.