Infrequent Flyers: the best loyalty programs for the disloyal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infrequent Flyers: the best loyalty programs for the disloyal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:19 pm

missing aegean airline's miles&bonus?

It seems the good program should include Aegean Airlines Miles&Bonus, not only the lower threshold towards Gold star alliance, but the requalification is so easy comparing to others. and once you reach gold with only 19000miles, the miles never expires as long as you fly once within 36 months?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does having the CC open up more availability? I am interested in DFW-PHL for the most part.
They've got it rigged so you need to be logged in to your Free Spirit account to see the miles needed, so I s'pose there's potential to show different people different amounts (like DL does with special allocations for elites). Either they're not that sophisticated yet or I should complain about the results they're showing me.

Just for fun I tried plugging in DFW-PHL for September and it had good availability both ways midweek and Saturday at 5K each way (10K total + $20 RT). In checking the nearer-term April and May off-peaks, though, everything at the low level was gone, so there appears to be healthy demand. The off-peak times only cover about a third of the year, mostly in the spring and fall slow seasons. Outside that they have standard and "peak" times (mostly late summer and holidays). A standard award, if u can get, would be 25K RT and a peak would be 55K, which is no great shakes compared to the legacies (OTOH, the World MasterCard does award 2 miles per dollar spent and has a 5K threshold bonus for $10K in annual spend).

IMO the real prize out of DFW is an off-peak RT to Cabo at 5K + taxes + likely $15 junk fee. I was lucky to get one of those & combine with an ATL-DFW RT back in mid-Jan. Word must've gotten out about it since, as they appear very hard to find..
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RustyC
They've got it rigged so you need to be logged in to your Free Spirit account to see the miles needed, so I s'pose there's potential to show different people different amounts (like DL does with special allocations for elites). Either they're not that sophisticated yet or I should complain about the results they're showing me.

Just for fun I tried plugging in DFW-PHL for September and it had good availability both ways midweek and Saturday at 5K each way (10K total + $20 RT). In checking the nearer-term April and May off-peaks, though, everything at the low level was gone, so there appears to be healthy demand. The off-peak times only cover about a third of the year, mostly in the spring and fall slow seasons. Outside that they have standard and "peak" times (mostly late summer and holidays). A standard award, if u can get, would be 25K RT and a peak would be 55K, which is no great shakes compared to the legacies (OTOH, the World MasterCard does award 2 miles per dollar spent and has a 5K threshold bonus for $10K in annual spend).

IMO the real prize out of DFW is an off-peak RT to Cabo at 5K + taxes + likely $15 junk fee. I was lucky to get one of those & combine with an ATL-DFW RT back in mid-Jan. Word must've gotten out about it since, as they appear very hard to find..
Thanks. If you have an account that you have online access to and that does not have a CC, can you please compare that and your account and see if availability is different? I'm interested in Aug.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:40 pm

As far as I seem to take it from their webpage, Singapore Airlines miles are postponed by account activity. Confused and want to find out which of the two is true, because I might just guilt myself an upgrade this year if they're due to disappear soon after.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Thanks. If you have an account that you have online access to and that does not have a CC, can you please compare that and your account and see if availability is different? I'm interested in Aug.
August is considered a peak month for the first half and standard for the second. I checked it (though with my account) and it was 27.5K each way across the board (though no RT required). According to the chart that's their highest level for that route and the worst they can do for a region 2 for anyone (i.e. their version of wanting more miles because of demand). A normal peak award would be 17.5K each way for that, and a normal standard would be 12.5K OW.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RustyC
August is considered a peak month for the first half and standard for the second. I checked it (though with my account) and it was 27.5K each way across the board (though no RT required). According to the chart that's their highest level for that route and the worst they can do for a region 2 for anyone (i.e. their version of wanting more miles because of demand). A normal peak award would be 17.5K each way for that, and a normal standard would be 12.5K OW.
So just to confirm it is 27.5K every day for the first part of the month right?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Asiana should be taken out of the bad category. The information in the wiki is incorrect. Miles expire after 10 years. The fact that miles expire is a bummer, but if you haven't used them in 10 years, you probably weren't going to anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: drifting with the best price
Heh, that's easy! Avoid them all and save money, take the airline that flies you most directly or offers the best service, lots of choices there. If you still want to, use a card that rebates money - or at least a card like AMEX that allows you to spend points on travel and other stuff, or even transfer those points to airline programs. Works best for me, but as you guys say here "YMMV" of course.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've now managed to pick up 35K in United miles since last July solely going through MyPoints and Opinion Miles Club for surveys and light shopping. Nice way of picking up some bonus miles if you've got more time than money on hand.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Aegean was already on the list of good programs at miles.site666.info.

However, they're not as good as I thought. Only sign up with them if you're sure you can grab 4.000 *A of them in the first year. Otherwise...

Originally Posted by Aegean T&C
It shall be made clear that: (a) If the Basic Member has not collected 4,000 Miles within a period of twelve consecutive (12) months from the date of the first valid flight that registered miles), then the accrued Miles shall not be automatically reset, but shall rather be successively deleted, once one (1) year elapses from each flight event, effected within the said 12-month period. To this end, the Account shall continue to exist until zero Miles exist, except for the initial Welcome Miles (1.000 Bonus Award & Tier Miles, granted upon the online registration). (b) The twelve-month period for the accumulation of the 4,000 Miles will count from the date of the first valid flight that registered miles.
They don't want signups for long term trickle collection.

4000 *A miles doesn't sound like much, but if most of your flights are with OneWorld or SkyTeam...

Last edited by Diabo; Mar 29, 2014 at 8:24 am
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buggie111
As far as I seem to take it from their webpage, Singapore Airlines miles are postponed by account activity. Confused and want to find out which of the two is true, because I might just guilt myself an upgrade this year if they're due to disappear soon after.
Account activity keeps your account alive for another 39 months. But not your miles:

Originally Posted by small print
http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/ppsclub_krisflyer/termsconditions-kf.jsp

16. A member’s KrisFlyer miles will expire after three years (or one year for miles received from contests) at 23:59 hours Singapore time (GMT +08:00 hours) on the last day of the equivalent month in which they were earned. For example, miles credited to a member’s KrisFlyer account in July 2011 will expire at 23:59 hours Singapore time (GMT +08:00 hours) on 31 July 2014.

17. KrisFlyer miles that are due to expire for the first time may be extended for a fee. For KrisFlyer members, miles may be extended once for a period of six months only. KrisFlyer Elite Silver, KrisFlyer Elite Gold and PPS Club members may extend their miles for a period of one year only.

18. KrisFlyer miles that are due to expire may be extended for a fee, up to five months ahead and inclusive of the current month, in blocks of up to three consecutive months.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:46 am

I'm a fan of Southwest for the disloyal, at least you don't need to worry about availability.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
I'm a fan of Southwest for the disloyal, at least you don't need to worry about availability.
WN also has the advantage of a mostly egalitarian travel experience: not only can you earn and redeem the miles in a pretty straightforward manner, but the act of actually completing the flight isn't awful in comparison to the experience of their elite members.

Contrast to DL: I have 41,000 DL miles right now but I dread using them for any kind of Y ticket. I hold no status and I know that will be a dreadful travel experience. So I'll hold the miles...and potentially benefit when I can book a one-way J award in 2015.

Southwest's obvious disadvantage, of course, is no global partnerships. But I assume most fliers are aware of this going in...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

I've added Southwest to the list. They'd have a great program for non-americans if they join one of the three alliances

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.