Reload this Page >

Foreign credit cards at Indian carriers/portals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign credit cards at Indian carriers/portals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:27 am

I can confirm that Kingfisher does NOT accept US issued cards, while Indigo does.

Saved Rs 1000 (approx $20) by booking the same Kingfisher flight via a travel agent who had no problems accepting my card ^
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:38 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malgudi
I can confirm that Kingfisher does NOT accept US issued cards,....
As I posted a couple of posts above yours, I can confirm that a US-issued SPG Amex card works on the Kingfisher site, though it does require a call to Amex US to let them know before you make the charge.

Ok people, when you say the site does not accept a certain country's/type of card, have you called your card issuer and told them that you are going to charge tickets to that airline, then tried again? If not, do so.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I booked a few tickets today on the Air India (IC) and 9W websites and did not have any problems. On both sites I had confirmation emails in less than 5 minutes. I thouht I would have problems on the IC website due to its outdatedness and poor design but I was pleasantly surprisd. I booked on both using my US-issued credit union Mastercard. I have MasterCard Surecode but was not asked for a password on either site when booking.

FYI
Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:46 am

I was using the Chase United Mileage Plus Visa.

Yes, I called Chase was told they weren't even seeing the charge (ie: it was being declined much earlier, at the preliminary payment gateway itself).

Originally Posted by Savage25
As I posted a couple of posts above yours, I can confirm that a US-issued SPG Amex card works on the Kingfisher site, though it does require a call to Amex US to let them know before you make the charge.

Ok people, when you say the site does not accept a certain country's/type of card, have you called your card issuer and told them that you are going to charge tickets to that airline, then tried again? If not, do so.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Savage25
...a US-issued SPG Amex card works...does require a call to Amex...
Originally Posted by BlrGuy
Kingfisher...SPG Amex card...worked...didn't even call Amex...
...Chase United Mileage Plus Visa [declined]...called Chase...they weren't even seeing the charge...
Whole batches of MC/Visa are blocked by Kingfisher itself. (See my post #2)

However, they don't block Amex: in this case your charge is accepted/declined by Amex.

The need to call reflects your own past buying behavior, whether your bank's computers deem the current charge to fit the pattern or to be "unusual".

Last edited by aktchi; Dec 24, 2009 at 5:36 am
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: CX SL, SQ SL
I booked a Kingfisher domestic flight using my SPG Amex card a few days ago, and it worked without any problem. I didn't even call Amex beforehand, and didn't know that was something to be done, since I only came across this thread now.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 8:18 pm

I can confirm that Kingfisher does NOT accept US issued cards, while Indigo does.

Saved Rs 1000 (approx $20) by booking the same Kingfisher flight via a travel agent who had no problems accepting my card ^
??? NT

I have been using my Amex as well as Marriott Rewards Visa for IT online from non-US,non-Indian locations. I book online. In each case they have called two days before my US flight (not on IT) to confirm seats and transfers. However my sample has been 8 flights (16 segments) since '07.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:17 am

In response to my email to customer relations:

We acknowledge your comment regarding the usage of International Credit cards on our online booking system. With regards to the same, we request you to kindly provide us with the scanned copy of an authorization letter from the respective bank stating that your credit card can be used with Kingfisher Airlines. This will enable us in processing the transaction to issue the tickets.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:03 am
Original Poster

In response to my email to customer relations[at Kingfisher]: "We request you to kindly provide us with the scanned copy of an authorization letter from the respective bank stating that your credit card can be used with Kingfisher Airlines. This will enable us in processing the transaction to issue the tickets."
I must say that a few things about KF have proven to be a big negative surprise. We are supposed to go get an authorization letter from our bank for individual sellers? You'd think think some of KF's departments are being run by UP government.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: ex AN*G(Diamond), QF SG, VA Plat
Australian CC experiences

Here's my recent (last week) experiences summarised:

Kingfisher: Australian Mastercard with SecureCode: Declined immediately by KF; Australian Visa with Verified by Visa: Declined immediately by KF; Australian AMEX: Processed by KF, declined after about 30 seconds by AMEX which was followed up by a phone call from AMEX about 2 minutes later - after confirming the transaction with them over the phone, retrying with Kingfisher was successful.

JetAirways: Australian Visa with Verified by Visa: Declined immediately by JetAirways; Australian MasterCard with SecureCode: SecureCode box popped up, and approved transaction
Old Jan 18, 2010, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Success at Indian Railways IRCTC.CO.IN

I was able to book a ticket at Indian Railways IRCTC.CO.IN, using US Citibank issued MC. The process itself was smooth, leaving aside the general sluggishness of the website.

Unlike most online portals, Indian Railways ask you to choose a bank gateway to process your card. Based on the advice I had received, I chose Axis and the charge went through quite smoothly. Perhaps Citibank or ICICI would have worked too.

However, in a another twist, the Railways assigned my wife and me seats 5 and 6, which are far apart despite the numbers being consecutive. So now I have to deal with that. Always something.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 6:20 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Hi Aktchi - in such fun situations, there's this wonderful indian english phrase that helps a lot - "please adjust". If you're a couple traveling together you'll typically find that the other pax on the train are just fine with you two sitting together. The numbers are basically your berth numbers .. you go there to sleep at night. And just how far apart are 5 and 6? One a window and the other a side lower / upper across the aisle?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks Hserus. I am familiar with the Indian custom of exchanging seats and berths as soon as people enter any arena with seats. I just thought that with all this IT progress, which is all too real in many aspects of the railways expereince, either I or at least a customer service person might be able to change the seats. But alas no, and we'll do it the old fashioned way.

BTW the train is a Shatabdi - chair cars only - and 5 & 6 are both window seats at opposite ends. Something like

11 12 13 14 15
06 07 08 09 10
01 02 03 04 05

Window location is desirable in daytime sitting-only train and should be easy to switch from. I won't be surprised to find someone already sitting in one of our seats.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks hserus. I am familiar with the Indian custom of exchanging seats and berths as soon as people enter any arena with seats. I just thought that with all this IT progress, which is all too real in many aspects of the railways expereince, either I or at least a customer service person might be able to change the seats. But alas no, and we'll do it the old fashioned way.

BTW the train is a Shatabdi - chair cars only - and 5 & 6 are both window seats at opposite ends. Something like

11 12 13 14 15
06 07 08 09 10
01 02 03 04 05

Window location is desirable in daytime sitting-only train and should be easy to switch from. In fact, as we board I won't be surprised to find someone already occupying one of our seats.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Nope - that "sitting in our seats" hasn't happened yet in the multiple times I've traveled in shatabdis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.