Reload this Page >

Mileage Run/Mini Vacation to DEL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 5:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

Hello everyone--

I was poking around on Google flights last week and found some great airfares to either DEL or BOM. India hadn't even been on my radar as somewhere I wanted to visit, but as I've thought about it, I've been warming to the idea.

Timing would be late September...so I'm hoping the worst of the heat would be gone. I know that weather can be unpredictable, but we can hope.

Here is a rough outline of what I'm thinking:
* Thursday around 11pm: arrive at DEL
* Thurs-Friday nights: hotel in New Delhi
* Sat-Sun nights: hotel in Agra (and go to the Taj Mahal for a sunrise)
* Mon night: back in New Delhi
* Tues night/Wed morning (around 2am): depart from DEL

I haven't booked anything yet, but would like to by late Monday. Hilton is having a sale through then, and there's some pretty good deals there (along with the airfare).

Yes I know the trip isn't long enough to see everything. Heck I've been to London 6 times, sometimes for 2 weeks, and I still haven't seen everything there either. I was in Rio for 2 nights last year, and Beijing for 4 and I feel I at least got a nice taste of what is in either city.

My point in posting is to see if the timing is right for the trip; should I cut a night in Agra (or both) and spend more time in New Delhi? I know there are daytrips to the Taj Mahal, but it looks like a very long day. Or should I cut a night in New Delhi and spend even more time in Agra? Do the days of the week align for what I want to do? I am open to doing some tourist stuff early, before checking out of a hotel (and leaving luggage at a bell desk), as I've found that's a great way to get somewhere before it is too crazy.

Since the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays--or so it seems from what I've seen--I'm assuming it is just insane on Sat-Sun. Well it probably is every day, but weekends for nearly any major attraction seem crazy. I have heard that it is busiest during the day, when the tour buses from elsewhere arrive, so it might be worthwhile to go late and/or early to avoid that.

Thanks for any tips!
Old May 29, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
september weather would be decent....might be some rain around but it won't be insanely hot....

2 days in agra would be a waste....i would suggest only 1 night there....both the taj mahal & fatehpur sikri can be covered in a day....

3 nights in delhi are fine....there is a lot to see & you would be able to cover most of it in 3 days....but you could also consider jaipur....if you cut down a night each in agra & delhi then that would give you a couple of days for jaipur....

the trip would be hectic but definitely doable....

as far as the hilton properties are concerned, both the doubletree in agra & the hilton in jaipur are well located....for delhi, stick to the garden inn saket....
Old May 31, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
I did a quick weekend run just to see the Taj Mahal a few weeks ago.

For me, that was plenty Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, and back home.

I would stay the night in Agra and wake up and do the tours.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I did book the flights, and booked 1 night at the Doubletree Agra.
Found a website to request tour information, and have received many, many replies.

Here is one that interests me:
* Delhi (includes rickshaw ride)
* Jaipur (includes elephant ride)
* Agra (includes Tonga ride)
It includes:
* 1 night Delhi
* 2 nights Jaipur
* Basic tours in all cities

All that for $375. It seems like a decent deal. I'll still have to book a night in Delhi at the end, but that won't be a problem.

Unless the group thinks I can just do this on my own?

I've rarely used organized tours like this before...usually just use transit to get around, visit places on my own.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for the replies!

Found a website to request tour information, and have received many, many replies.

It includes:
* 1 night Delhi
* 2 nights Jaipur

All that for $375. It seems like a decent deal. I'll still have to book a night in Delhi at the end, but that won't be a problem.

I've rarely used organized tours like this before...usually just use transit to get around, visit places on my own.
that seems like a good deal....but still, i would just do this myself....i hate booking tours....
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
that seems like a good deal....but still, i would just do this myself....i hate booking tours....
thanks! I do have time, so I don't have to jump on something right away.

Unless I'm confused (which is certainly possible), it looks like a sleeper train from New Delhi to Jaipur (just an example) is about IR300? If so, then that's very reasonable. Could always do Uber from hotel to station, and station to new hotel.
If those prices are close, and the train is reliable, I wouldn't mind putting something together that way.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks! I do have time, so I don't have to jump on something right away.

Unless I'm confused (which is certainly possible), it looks like a sleeper train from New Delhi to Jaipur (just an example) is about IR300? If so, then that's very reasonable. Could always do Uber from hotel to station, and station to new hotel.
If those prices are close, and the train is reliable, I wouldn't mind putting something together that way.
inr 300 would be for the lowest class which is definitely not recommended....you would want to travel in ac 1st class or for short journeys in the executive chair car....
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so now my trip is a month out and I've hardly done anything
(I guess I should do the visa!)

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can help with transportation (preferably trains) for the following:
* New Delhi to Jaipur
* Jaipur to Agra
* Agra back to New Delhi

I have the last 2 nights of hotel booked, in Agra and New Delhi, but other than the flights on BA, nothing else.

I've gotten some quotes from a few travel agencies, but they include (what they call 5*) hotels. Unless Country Inn & Suites in New Delhi is different than here in the US, I certainly wouldn't call that a 5* hotel.
One of these quotes was about US$1000 for 2 people. When I asked them to not include hotels, it dropped to $650, which doesn't seem right for 5 nights in hotels.

I'd prefer to book my hotels myself, probably at Hilton properties. But I need help with transportation between cities. I might be convinced to throw in some day tours too, but I found several of those that I can book one-off. And I'm also comfortable using Uber, taxi, etc. to get around.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:37 am

Thanks for the replies!

It includes:
* 1 night Delhi
* 2 nights Jaipur

I am also going to visit India in November. For this, I created a post in forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...ing-india.html

After discussion with my close friend, I have decided to include Delhi & Rajasthan in my trip. The places I would like to check out are Akshardham & Lotus Temples in Delhi and City Palace & Kumbhalgarh in Rajasthan.

If you can manage, include Akshardham & Kumbhalgarh in your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.