FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Run/Mini Vacation to DEL
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2017, 5:49 am
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Mileage Run/Mini Vacation to DEL

Hello everyone--

I was poking around on Google flights last week and found some great airfares to either DEL or BOM. India hadn't even been on my radar as somewhere I wanted to visit, but as I've thought about it, I've been warming to the idea.

Timing would be late September...so I'm hoping the worst of the heat would be gone. I know that weather can be unpredictable, but we can hope.

Here is a rough outline of what I'm thinking:
* Thursday around 11pm: arrive at DEL
* Thurs-Friday nights: hotel in New Delhi
* Sat-Sun nights: hotel in Agra (and go to the Taj Mahal for a sunrise)
* Mon night: back in New Delhi
* Tues night/Wed morning (around 2am): depart from DEL

I haven't booked anything yet, but would like to by late Monday. Hilton is having a sale through then, and there's some pretty good deals there (along with the airfare).

Yes I know the trip isn't long enough to see everything. Heck I've been to London 6 times, sometimes for 2 weeks, and I still haven't seen everything there either. I was in Rio for 2 nights last year, and Beijing for 4 and I feel I at least got a nice taste of what is in either city.

My point in posting is to see if the timing is right for the trip; should I cut a night in Agra (or both) and spend more time in New Delhi? I know there are daytrips to the Taj Mahal, but it looks like a very long day. Or should I cut a night in New Delhi and spend even more time in Agra? Do the days of the week align for what I want to do? I am open to doing some tourist stuff early, before checking out of a hotel (and leaving luggage at a bell desk), as I've found that's a great way to get somewhere before it is too crazy.

Since the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays--or so it seems from what I've seen--I'm assuming it is just insane on Sat-Sun. Well it probably is every day, but weekends for nearly any major attraction seem crazy. I have heard that it is busiest during the day, when the tour buses from elsewhere arrive, so it might be worthwhile to go late and/or early to avoid that.

Thanks for any tips!