Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mumbai dry days - Booze in BOM Lounge??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Unhappy Mumbai dry days - Booze in BOM Lounge??

So I'm in India again and I was shocked to learn that due to the elections the whole state of Maharashtra is dry between 20th - 23rd. And when I mean dry, I mean Saudi dry!!

Every bar, restaurant, exec lounge, roadside shack, off-licence dry dry dry!

The JW Marriott exec lounge which is one of the best I have been too (free pour booze as if its tap water) is no exception. There was almost a riot when us lounge lizards found out!

The only exception so that there is not a mass riot is I can drink a bottle of £5 Indian plonk in my room like a naughty school boy for £50 (thats the cheapest - most are £80! I can have a bottle of Whiskey but I need to remortgage my house to afford that. No exceptions or discounts for Plat Elites either

For the last few days I have been rationing my welcome gift bottle with a thimble! Thank god I didn't go with the points!!!

Tomorrow (22nd) booze is back for a day (yippie!), but as the election results are out on the 23rd the ban is back (booo) but its the day I fly back to LHR.

Has anyone been through BOM over the last couple of days? Does the ban on all alcohol on that day extend to BOM Lounges too?

I am not an alcoholic or anything, its just I am very gluten and lactose intolerant so booze is all I have to look forward to during a 3 hour wait as India is bread & dairyville! If I dare eat... I'm not the only one that would suffer for 10 hours

Please someone tell me it isn't soo!!
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by mikeijay
I am not an alcoholic or anything
Hmm... election days are usually dry days because in the past politicians used to offer booze for getting votes. The international side of airports is usually extra territorial. Why not contact Tfs who runs the BOM lounge and ask?

http://mumbailounge.in/gvk-lounge-in...ls/contact-us/
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
In the past politicians used to offer booze for getting votes.
MP's buying the beer??? What a country!

Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
in the past politicians used to offer booze for getting votes.
not just in the past....happens today as well....tons of reports about booze being bought in advance for all the different elections taking place this month across the different states & cities....
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
23rd is a dry day for few hours only. The elections were only in Mumbai on 21st.
For locals in the know - there are never dry days You always know the places where you can get it and it was fun during college days to buy a quarter and hang out on the seaface. Lounges follow the same rules.

Dry Days are as follows -

20th February: BMC elections polling day

21st February: Swami Dayanand Saraswati Jayanti/BMC elections polling day

23rd February: BMC election results (Only for some hours until results are declared)

24th February: Maha Shivratri
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

As I just discovered!

I asked at the checkin desk and they were like 'no don't worry its normal service' phew I thought!

I get to GVK and the bar seams quieter than usual. Thought it is 3am and there to my absolute horror is a great big sign saying 'DRY DAY' :'(

4 hours and only a ginger beer to keep me company! I wonder if the plane was able to actually able to stock up properly? Oh god thats terrifying!

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY... ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.