Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did you see what was going on at some hotels? It's like IOU season.
this morning certain markets were not accepting credit card payments unless you spent a higher certain amount....just trying to exploit the situation....

the minimum spend for using a credit card is normally inr 200 at most stores....i was trying to spend around inr 3k & the guy wanted me to spend a minimum of inr 7.5k otherwise he would not accept a card payment....others in the same market were doing the same thing....i had to threaten him that i would call the cops & the media before he agreed to charge the lesser amount....
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by Keyser
landed in del last night....it was a zoo at the money exchange....
Hoping its better by Friday when I land...
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
It was bad at DEL tonight too.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:13 pm

Is there anyway to exchange INR? I have a little.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:57 am
Suspended

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-i...634?yptr=yahoo
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
i'm not expecting it to be any better for another 3-4 weeks atleast....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Samsterf
Is there anyway to exchange INR? I have a little.
not unless you want to get in line at the banks & wait for hours....even then you are only allowed to change inr 4,500 at a time....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:26 am
Suspended

not unless you want to get in line at the banks & wait for hours....even then you are only allowed to change inr 4,500 at a time....
Some entrepreneurs have popped up willing to exchange currency and some others take these demonetized notes for payment; but the haircut application is horrible and the consumers pay for it big time.

The Indian economy is in chaos -- even for those who have zero "black money", as is the case for most tourists with no Indian family ties.

As some ought to know, only a very small fraction of Indian black money tends to be held as cash longer term; and there are ways still available to launder that fraction. I really have to wonder about the kind of advice the government got before clownishly implementing this demonetization of the bulk value of issued cash.

Personally, I expect there to be a lot more: temple, mosque, and church donation-related games; bank officer games; smurfing and other money games via the poor; prepayment of wages, goods/services; chartered accountant games; precious metals/gems/jewelry games; farm income games; political party donation games. These ways to rotate the black money currency notes are in full swing. Chandraswami types are having a field day with this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 16, 2016 at 6:43 am
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some entrepreneurs have popped up willing to exchange currency and some others take these demonetized notes for payment; but the haircut application is horrible and the consumers pay for it big time.

The Indian economy is in chaos -- even for those who have zero "black money", as is the case for most tourists with no Indian family ties.

As some ought to know, only a very small fraction of Indian black money tends to be held as cash longer term; and there are ways still available to launder that fraction. I really have to wonder about the kind of advice the government got before clownishly implementing this demonetization of the bulk value of issued cash.

Personally, I expect there to be a lot more: temple, mosque, and church donation-related games; bank officer games; smurfing and other money games via the poor; prepayment of wages, goods/services; chartered accountant games; precious metals/gems/jewelry games; farm income games; political party donation games. These ways to rotate the black money currency notes are in full swing. Chandraswami types are having a field day with this.
i couldn't agree more....this seems like a very typical modi move....announce it in a hurry on the 8th of november to take away the limelight from the us election & announce it just in time before the code of conduct comes into effect for the up & punjab elections....it doesn't matter whether the government is prepared to handle the situation, which they clearly are not....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 1000 notes are the common currency of 'black' money, so evidently the RBI wants to destroy the parallel economy that way. Great.

Technically you are not allowed to take INR with you when leaving the country, so cash taken abroad is invalid anyway.

I think I have 20-30k at home...
Why would anyone hoard/save paper rupees?? It seems that cash dollars, or silver & gold bullion would be a much better option.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:53 am
Suspended

Bring cash dollars. You probably get a much better rate than the "official rate".
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why would anyone hoard/save paper rupees?? It seems that cash dollars, or silver & gold bullion would be a much better option.
it is....& that is what typically the people with black money have....paper rupees would make up a small percentage of the total amount of black wealth out there....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Bring cash dollars. You probably get a much better rate than the "official rate".
where will you change those cash dollars????
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

where will you change those cash dollars????
For goods and services.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:28 pm
Suspended

it is....& that is what typically the people with black money have....paper rupees would make up a small percentage of the total amount of black wealth out there....
...which means it will just get worse. What person will trust the Indian Government now that they can just declare any paper rupee invalid?
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.