Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED: 500 and 1000 rupee notes no longer legal tender!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Availability of rupees at Dubai (DXB)

Hi all -

Traveling from the US on Saturday and no banks here are buying/selling rupees and I'd like to have some Rs. on me when I land.

Has anyone had any luck at DXB foreign exchange?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Hi all -

Traveling from the US on Saturday and no banks here are buying/selling rupees and I'd like to have some Rs. on me when I land.

Thanks in advance.
i land in dxb on friday so can give you an update then....
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
India invalidated all the old bills. Maybe you'd be better off getting new bills once you get to India.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
India invalidated all the old bills. Maybe you'd be better off getting new bills once you get to India.
there is a daily inr 5k limit for foreigners....you won't be able to exchange more than that per day....
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Keyser
there is a daily inr 5k limit for foreigners....you won't be able to exchange more than that per day....
And often they are giving 2000 INR notes and struggling to find the other 1000 INR. Good luck getting change from a 2000 INR note.

Using different ATM cards is a workaround around the daily withdrawal limits.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And often they are giving 2000 INR notes and struggling to find the other 1000 INR. Good luck getting change from a 2000 INR note.

Using different ATM cards is a workaround around the daily withdrawal limits.
i have a few inr 2k notes now as that is all most atms are dispensing....they are pretty useless at the moment because no one has change....i haven't used cash in the last 2 weeks....have only been using my cards....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:49 pm
Suspended

The carnival masters have instructed banks and other institutions to refuse to exchange old notes for new notes and to force those with old notes to open bank accounts or otherwise deposit the old demonetized notes into existing accounts if they want to get any value out of them.

Governments and their dirty games.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Metanoia
Hi all -

Thanks in advance.
no luck....they don't have the new notes yet....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The carnival masters have instructed banks and other institutions to refuse to exchange old notes for new notes and to force those with old notes to open bank accounts or otherwise deposit the old demonetized notes into existing accounts if they want to get any value out of them.

Governments and their dirty games.
this is going from bad to worse....everyday they come up with a new rule....this is a nightmare....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
this is going from bad to worse....everyday they come up with a new rule
Shows a distinct lack of homework more than anything. But of course the Govt will claim that they intended to change the rules frequently all along.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deovrat
Shows a distinct lack of homework more than anything. But of course the Govt will claim that they intended to change the rules frequently all along.
of course they will....its amazing how 1 person can be responsible for so much chaos....
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
of course they will....its amazing how 1 person can be responsible for so much chaos....
To turn your statement around a bit, it can very well be that the chaos is happening because only 1 person is responsible !
Old Nov 25, 2016, 7:10 am
Suspended

Eventually people will wise up and revert to barter or other currencies to use.

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...mmers-4388910/

Last edited by Dieuwer; Nov 25, 2016 at 7:23 am
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by deovrat
To turn your statement around a bit, it can very well be that the chaos is happening because only 1 person is responsible !
The Pune/Gujarati "think thank" that Modi used for advice on the demonetization has said that what has been done is not the plan they had given him. They clearly think the chaos is not their responsibility.

The Chief Justice of the country is allowing lower courts to intervene in the demonetization. It will be interesting to see what kind of rulings finally hit the government over this chaos-inducing, executive policy.

I only have a small amount of demonetized notes, but I'm willing to use them for legal bills if any ruling against this regulatory taking actually succeeds in securing my limited property rights with regard to those notes.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Chief Justice of the country is allowing lower courts to intervene in the demonetization. It will be interesting to see what kind of rulings finally hit the government over this chaos-inducing, executive policy.
unlikely that the courts will do anything in the end....you need a chief justice who has the balls to take on the government....we don't have that at the moment....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.