Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa for US Citizens-Time to Get?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Darren
The shortest I have heard is 7 or 8 days. The longest we have had is about 2 months. Mine was about a month. You learn to be patient dealing with the Government of India. Oddly, the most vocal about the problem is the Indian-American diaspora who have to wait absurd amounts of time for their visas.
Try 45 minutes. After paying the expedited fee. For the "Entry Visa".
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Darren
They have outsourced visa handling, which is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is in the adjudications and issuances of the visas. It's well known that time depends on a number of variables. Some, such as the consulate/embassy used, are within your control, while others, such as the entire operation took a tea break, are not. The shortest I have heard is 7 or 8 days. The longest we have had is about 2 months. Mine was about a month. You learn to be patient dealing with the Government of India. Oddly, the most vocal about the problem is the Indian-American diaspora who have to wait absurd amounts of time for their visas.
True. Travisa does a pretty good job of handling the paperwork and sending the passports back. At the very least, you can reach a live person at Travisa and get updates on the application. They're also good at sending status emails. However, it's up to the individual Indian consulates to actually issue the visa and get them back to Travisa.

I flew to Houston in January, applied in person Mon AM, received approval Tues AM, and got it via Fedex Wed AM. Flew out to India Thurs.

Mailed apps to Houston for my wife and kids in March, took over 3 weeks to receive the visas. My sister also mailed her app to Houston in March, took about a month to get it back. Luckily our trip was not until late May.

My sister in NYC applied in person, and received her visa the next day.

Heard the consulates in NYC and Washington, DC are good. Houston for me was hit-or-miss.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:42 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

FYI, we sent visa apps to SF Travisa and they arrived on Monday, just got the passports back with the issued visas this morning (Friday) via FedEx so, it took four days for processing and issue of the visas.

Pretty good, I'd say.

Thanks Travisa--and FTers who chimed in on my original request for info.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
FYI, we sent visa apps to SF Travisa and they arrived on Monday, just got the passports back with the issued visas this morning (Friday) via FedEx so, it took four days for processing and issue of the visas.

Pretty good, I'd say.

Thanks Travisa--and FTers who chimed in on my original request for info.
AWESOME!!! Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
Originally Posted by raj0321
True. Travisa does a pretty good job of handling the paperwork and sending the passports back. At the very least, you can reach a live person at Travisa and get updates on the application. They're also good at sending status emails. However, it's up to the individual Indian consulates to actually issue the visa and get them back to Travisa.
I have to disagree with that. Travisa is very troublesome to deal with. I will give you my experience. I applied for OCI (new passport) for my kid. It was nothing but nightmare. First, their own checklist is not accurate. E.g. I was reluctant to send my kid's old passport, checklist says a copy is OK, but not. So, they ask me for my kid's passport. I send it in and than wait. After a few days, they say that we (as parents) have to send our IDs. I point them to their own list. Clearly it says that "Parents' IDs are acceptable in place of kid's ID" and I had send my kid's ID. I asked them as to why they did not tell me that when I send my kid's passport and wasted a month or so. Their response "different people go over different parts of the application". Secondly, when you call them up, you would be lucky to get someone within the first 30 minutes (maybe visa section is better, I don't know)

If you go to forums.immigration.com (make sure your AV software is up to date, they had issues lately), you will see complaint after complaint with these guys.

I do have to say that their tracking system is good and you get regular updates about your application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.