FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   Visa for US Citizens-Time to Get? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/1235050-visa-us-citizens-time-get.html)

biggestbopper Jul 9, 2011 1:27 am

Visa for US Citizens-Time to Get?

We are taking our first trip to India--leaving July 28. And, I was surprised to learn, US citizens have to get visas (my bad, I've been a lot of places and the only place I had to get a visa in advance was China, so, guess I was just uninformed about India).

So, is there likely to be a problem if we overnight our apps and two pics with passports to San Francisco counsel office for arrival on July 12?

Or, should I put the tickets on hold?

Keyser Jul 9, 2011 4:29 am

if you have no ties to pakistan then you should get your visa fairly quickly, well before july 28th....

but if you or any family member of yours was born in pakistan or is a pakistani citizen then the visa process takes about 6 weeks to clear....

biggestbopper Jul 9, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info.

No Pakistan connection, so, I guess, no problem.

On to Costco for visa photos!

Darren Jul 10, 2011 4:30 am

Originally Posted by biggestbopper (Post 16699245)
Thanks for the info.

No Pakistan connection, so, I guess, no problem.

On to Costco for visa photos!

18 days? Cross your fingers. If there's an expedite option, I would use it.

travelmad478 Jul 10, 2011 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 16701978)

+1

This is India you're dealing with. (You'll find out what that means when you get there...;))

Keyser Jul 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Darren (Post 16701978)

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 16703012)
+1

This is India you're dealing with. (You'll find out what that means when you get there...;))

:confused::confused:

i have clients & family members traveling to india all the time....it has never taken them 18 days or longer to get their visas....

travelmad478 Jul 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16703729)
:confused::confused:

i have clients & family members traveling to india all the time....it has never taken them 18 days or longer to get their visas....

I would be pretty reluctant to apply for any country's visa using standard service if I had only 18 days before my departure. There are any number of snags that can screw things up, not just the issuing consulate's relaxed attitude toward on-time customer service.

biggestbopper Jul 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the additional input. I sent the application of Express Mail yesterday. So, should be at the processor on Monday morning with the FedEx overnight return paid for.

Based on what I saw on the Travisa website I am optomistically thinking we are okay. And, thanks to Kayer for his never over eighteen days info which is comforting.

If not, fortunately, we have changable tickets (which I hope never comes into play).

sjpd Jul 10, 2011 9:50 pm

We applied in March (our trip is in July as well) and from mail date to return to me, the total time was 7 days. We had 3 US-born applicants and 1 Indian-born US citizen (that application was more involved than just a straight US-born applicant). I overnight mailed in both directions and the Chicago consulate was very fast. Just make sure every last T is crossed on the checklist - a cousin forgot some paperwork and entered some bureaucratic Indian purgatory.

Keyser Jul 11, 2011 1:33 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 16704151)
I would be pretty reluctant to apply for any country's visa using standard service if I had only 18 days before my departure. There are any number of snags that can screw things up, not just the issuing consulate's relaxed attitude toward on-time customer service.

i don't know how things work in the US but i have applied for countless number of visas here & have never had to wait 18 days or over to get it....the maximum has been 10-12 days....

travelmad478 Jul 11, 2011 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 16706492)
i don't know how things work in the US but i have applied for countless number of visas here & have never had to wait 18 days or over to get it....the maximum has been 10-12 days....

I have had several occasions where visas took much longer than expected/promised (just in the last year or so, I can point to Russia and Nigeria as examples). Things happen.

Keyser Jul 11, 2011 6:13 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478 (Post 16707047)
I have had several occasions where visas took much longer than expected/promised (just in the last year or so, I can point to Russia and Nigeria as examples). Things happen.

i guess i can agree with the russian example....a colleague from my firm had to travel to russia & his visa took a little under a month....

personally i have never had an issue with a visa & have always got it in under 2 weeks....infact, i know a bunch of people in the US who managed to get their indian visa in under 48 hours....18 days is long enough....

Coolers Jul 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Glad I read this thread. I was considering visiting India in a couple months and for some reason, it never crossed my mind that Canadians needed visas.

pontevecchio Jul 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Travisa

India has outsourced the visa process to a private company. http://india.travisa.com/VisaInstruc...?CountryID=IN&.

It takes 7 business days to get your Passport back with the visa.

Darren Jul 13, 2011 11:33 am

They have outsourced visa handling, which is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is in the adjudications and issuances of the visas. It's well known that time depends on a number of variables. Some, such as the consulate/embassy used, are within your control, while others, such as the entire operation took a tea break, are not. The shortest I have heard is 7 or 8 days. The longest we have had is about 2 months. Mine was about a month. You learn to be patient dealing with the Government of India. Oddly, the most vocal about the problem is the Indian-American diaspora who have to wait absurd amounts of time for their visas.