Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming AI Miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming AI Miles

I have 2 accounts with about 50K miles and had a couple of quick questions I was hoping some experts can help with.

1. Is it possible to use these miles to redeem something else other than flights like hotels or gift cards? The YQ on redemptions makes it completely ridiculous to redeem for a "free" ticket.

2. I looked up a United flight from Ord to Sfo as an example and there is no YQ in the fare construction. If I were to try and redeem AI miles for that ticket, would there be no YQ charged since there isn't anything to charge??

Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
there are lots of threads that already exist on this subject....i suggest checking out some of the threads below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...g-returns.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...on-thread.html

it doesn't matter which alliance member you fly, ai will charge yq if you are using ai miles....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Actually, if there are no YQ in fare construction, then AI will not charge it on its own volition.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by deovrat
Actually, if there are no YQ in fare construction, then AI will not charge it on its own volition.
i tried to redeem ai miles on a nyc-ord sector earlier this year....ua was charging no yq but ai wanted to charge inr 8k....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i tried to redeem ai miles on a nyc-ord sector earlier this year....ua was charging no yq but ai wanted to charge inr 8k....
I've found that some agents conjure up taxes on their own sometimes.
I once pushed back because I was seeing an entirely different amount on ITA. After keeping me on hold for 15 minutes and checking with his 'taxes team', the agent informed me of taxes that matched ITA's down to the last paisa.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found that some agents conjure up taxes on their own sometimes.
I once pushed back because I was seeing an entirely different amount on ITA. After keeping me on hold for 15 minutes and checking with his 'taxes team', the agent informed me of taxes that matched ITA's down to the last paisa.
i was at the ai city office to make a payment for another ticket when i asked about the nyc-ord sector....i told them that ua does not charge yq on this sector but the agent refused to budge from her stance....after a while she got another agent involved & he told me the same thing....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:23 am

Wonder how would they even come up with the amount to be charged !
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder how would they even come up with the amount to be charged !
beats me....i remember the amount they wanted to charge me was only about inr 1k less than what the ticket would have cost me if i bought it from ua....
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to book ORD-BOM-ORD and the YQ is about $100 less on United/Turkish/LH compared to AI. Think it's worth it arguing with the local office using ITA Matrix as proof??
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by sunshine213
I'm looking to book ORD-BOM-ORD and the YQ is about $100 less on United/Turkish/LH compared to AI. Think it's worth it arguing with the local office using ITA Matrix as proof??
If you live close to the office, then go for it.
Their most probable response should be "Its due to currency exchange rate fluctuations sir".
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Last question- I did read through the threads above and looked over the AI website, but don't see this mentioned- is it possible to redeem FR miles for anything other than flights??

My guess is no since the website only lists airline redemption as options, but wanted to ask since other airlines let you use your miles for hotel bookings, car rentals, etc.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.