Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: GuyFromBOM
AI-FR FAQs

Flight Ops
  • All Air India flights in the range AI10 - AI399 and AI900 - AI999 operate from International terminals.
  • At BOM - CSIA, all Air India flights (domestic and international) operate from International Terminal : T2 - with effect from October 1, 2015
  • At AMD - Ahmedabad SVP Airport, all Air India flights operate from International Terminal : T2- including flight AI614.
  • Check-in desks close 45 minutes before STD (Domestic flights)
  • Check-in desks close 60 minutes before STD (Domestic flights operating from International Terminal) (For International flights refer to the copy of eticket)
  • AirIndia Express is the LCC subsidary of AI (all Y seating) and doesn't have FFP concept in their systems.
  • All flights operating under 9I-xxxx series or AI 9xxx are operated by AirIndia Regional (aka Alliance Air - subsidary of AI). FFP benefits: Mileage Earning Only- NO REDEMPTION.

AI - Web Check-In
  • Web Check-In facility is available for most AI operated flights (except flights operated by 9I) from 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Web Check-In on Mobile

Baggage Info
  • AI-FR members get excess baggage allowance of 10kgs (Silver Club), 20kgs (Gold & Maharaja Club) OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs) for Silver, Gold & Maharaja Club members.
  • StarAlliance Gold members flying on AI flights, get excess baggage allowance of 20kgs OR 1 piece (upto 23kgs / 50lbs).
  • AI Baggage Allowance

Air India - Flying Returns FFP

FFP - Earning

FFP - Redemption

Contact Details

Membership Kit Related
  • Contact the Membership Kit dispatch team on +91 (0)22 61342252 (Monday to Friday between 10:00 to 17:00) or send an email to: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

AirIndia - FlyingReturns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gvipin
Hi,
Has anyone tried redeeming AI miles on *A partners while being outside India. I am in KL and trying to book an AirNewZealand flight from Sydney-Christchurch and return and have been ping ponged so far. Emailed to FFP, they told me to contact KL office, contacted they are saying since ANZ office in SG, so they have sent it to SG (how stupid is that) and I am sent back to FFP.

Must be an easier way out?
Well, AI's official stance is that you have to go to a City booking office personally to book an award ticket on *A.
I don't know whether KL office can do that since AI does not operate there right now. Have you tried calling their Indian Call Center number via Skype?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: AI, BA, Etihad, Mariott, IHG, TIC
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by deovrat
I can see that you have posted into AI-SBI thread for a similar question as well.
I hope I can simplify it for you.

Imagine that the miles are categorized into 2 categories.
Lets call them:
1) Status/Tier Miles
2) Redeemable Miles

Now, the first type of miles are the only miles that are responsible for determining your frequent flyer tier.

The second type, redeemable miles, do not contribute to your member tier at all. Rather, you can only use them for redemption for flights, or any other thing.
e.g. I can be a base tier member with 1 million redeemable miles, but zero status miles. That does not make me a Gold Tier/Maharajah member. I will only be able to redeem those redeemable miles towards something, like free flights.

If that's clear enough, then we move towards how to obtain these two types of miles.

a) Status/Tier miles can only be obtained by directly flying Air India flights/Air India codeshare flights. There is no other method/shortcut to accrue them.

b)Redeemable miles can be obtained from a variety of sources, not limited to:
-Direct flying AI/Codeshare flights (Yes, these miles can act both as Status as well as Redeemable miles)
-Credit card signup bonus/spend bonus
-Flying a Star Alliance airline and crediting the miles to your AI FFP number
-Buying miles from AI for hard cash
-Any other method

Again, at the expense of repeating myself, these can only be used for redemption towards AI/Star Alliance flights. NOT towards Status/FFP tier.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

So, coming back to your original query, you can combine your and spouse's miles, but they are only of redeemable variety. So, none of you will move up/down a tier. You will only pool the miles for use towards redemption.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.
A request to the moderators:
Can the above answer be added to this thread's wiki? Since utilization of points/miles is a critical decision point for all AI FFP members, having the above answer on the wiki would clear up the air for quite a lot of people.

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
@GuyFromBOM: I noticed that AI website had moved Live Chat option from Frequent Flyer tab to general Contact tab.
Verified that they are catering to all general queries now, and not solely FFP queries. Hence modified the wiki.
^

Hi,
Has anyone tried redeeming AI miles on *A partners while being outside India. I am in KL and trying to book an AirNewZealand flight from Sydney-Christchurch and return and have been ping ponged so far. Emailed to FFP, they told me to contact KL office, contacted they are saying since ANZ office in SG, so they have sent it to SG (how stupid is that) and I am sent back to FFP.

Must be an easier way out?
Try contacting the AI Twitter team and / or the Chat option on AI the website.

Additionally, may I suggest that you check the YQ component of the fare and the mileage required for the redemption for the *A partner booking before contacting AI. AI will charge not just the miles, but Fuel Surcharge (YQ) as well.

An estimate of YQ can be derived by searching your flights on ITA Matrix.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: JetPrivilege Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, OW Enrich Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Taj Innercircle Gold
Thanks GfB. I searched on ITA Matrix and this is what I got...not sure how to see YQ in this

Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare for 2 adults
Fare 1: Carrier NZ KBAGU05 SYD to CHC (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code K
Covers SYD-CHC (Economy)
A$173.00
Fare 2: Carrier NZ PSATUSS ZQN to SYD (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code V, P
Covers ZQN-AKL (Economy), AKL-SYD (Economy)
A$266.00
Australia AU (AU)
A$55.00
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)
A$28.42
New Zealand KK (KK)
A$11.40
NZ YR surcharge (YR)
A$14.00
Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge (WY)
A$28.42
New Zealand IA (IA)
A$12.00
New Zealand KK (KK)
A$16.20
Subtotal per passenger
A$604.44
Number of passengers
x2
Subtotal For 2 adults
A$1,208.88

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
^

Try contacting the AI Twitter team and / or the Chat option on AI the website.

Additionally, may I suggest that you check the YQ component of the fare and the mileage required for the redemption for the *A partner booking before contacting AI. AI will charge not just the miles, but Fuel Surcharge (YQ) as well.

An estimate of YQ can be derived by searching your flights on ITA Matrix.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:52 pm

Thanks GfB. I searched on ITA Matrix and this is what I got...not sure how to see YQ in this
Easiest way is to subtract base fare from total fare, and you end up with all mandatory government taxes and fuel surcharges.

e.g. In your example, A$ 604.44 (total fare) - A$ 439 (173 SYD-CHC base fare + 266 ZQN-SYD base fare) = A$ 165.44.
So expect to pay around that figure as taxes and fuel surcharge along with the required number of miles per passenger.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:33 am

Question Baggage allowance

Quoting this thread's wiki:

Baggage Info
All AI-FR members get excess baggage allowance of 10kgs (Base & Silver Tier), 20kgs (Gold & Maharaja Club) OR 1 piece of 23kgs for (Silver, Gold & Maharaja Club).
AI Baggage Allowance
Brief history:
I am AI FFP program member, currently very close to the silver tier (just 1 flight away).

Two queries:
  1. The wiki says that even the non-tiered FR members get an excess baggage allowance of 10kgs. Has anyone tested this i.e. You exceed you baggage allowance by a couple kgs, but tell the boarding agent that should be okay because you are a AI FR member? Does that work?
  2. From online discussions, I believe receiving the membership kit (silver, gold,..) will take a really really long time. How can we ensure we are not denied our tier benefits (eg: excess baggage allowance, extra carry-on bag, priority check-in and boarding,....)?

Thanks,
Monk
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monkatpeace
Quoting this thread's wiki:

Brief history:
I am AI FFP program member, currently very close to the silver tier (just 1 flight away).

Two queries:
  1. The wiki says that even the non-tiered FR members get an excess baggage allowance of 10kgs. Has anyone tested this i.e. You exceed you baggage allowance by a couple kgs, but tell the boarding agent that should be okay because you are a AI FR member? Does that work?
  2. From online discussions, I believe receiving the membership kit (silver, gold,..) will take a really really long time. How can we ensure we are not denied our tier benefits (eg: excess baggage allowance, extra carry-on bag, priority check-in and boarding,....)?

Thanks,
Monk
Once the FFP # is added to the PNR, the booking system alerts the current tier of the FFP account. And subsequently the benefits can be availed.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
Once the FFP # is added to the PNR, the booking system alerts the current tier of the FFP account. And subsequently the benefits can be availed.
Thanks .. just one query though. So non-tiered FR members do get that 10kg extra bag allowance right?

Thanks,
Monk
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by monkatpeace
Thanks .. just one query though. So non-tiered FR members do get that 10kg extra bag allowance right?

Thanks,
Monk
Since when did you see any AI employees being stringent with the baggage weight?
Everyone's an FR member for them!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Since when did you see any AI employees being stringent with the baggage weight?
they are strict in del....i've seen them stop a few people for overweight bags & the excess baggage counter always seems to have a line....
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
they are strict in del....i've seen them stop a few people for overweight bags & the excess baggage counter always seems to have a line....
Oh! Well then that's good for AI's sake
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:17 pm

Smile

Oh! Well then that's good for AI's sake
They are strict ..especially on International flights. The 1st time I flew out of Chicago .. they made me pay an arm & a leg for exceeding by 3 kgs .

Since I take so much of effort for flying on AI and because it says that all FR members get an allowance of 10kgs, I want to be double sure ..so that I can plan my next trip's packing accordingly .

Originally Posted by Keyser
+1 !!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Hey Folks,

Quick question here regarding baggage allowance.

I am Premier Gold and wife's Premier Silver on United. Our daughter and my mom have United accounts but no status. We are visiting India and will be flying into DEL and departing from BOM. International tickets booked and am now looking to pick up the DEL-BOM segment and was considering AI even though its pricier than Indigo because of the baggage allowance.

I believe as a UA Gold/Star Alliance Elite Plus, I should get an additional 20 kgs. However, I don't think the same applies to my wife, daughter and mom and to get the additional 10kg per person, I probably need to sign them up for their own accounts in AI or will a regular UA account holder get the additional 10kgs as well.

I'd rather just credit the miles to their own accounts (to create account activity) than to a new AI account.

Any insight in this regard?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Yup you will get the extra 20kgs for *A Gold.

For your wife, daughter and mom the easiest way is to sign the up for AI accounts and they will both get 10kgs each. I'm not sure if AI will let you claim both the 10kg extra + credit miles back to UA, hardly matters through, just pick the baggage.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Their regular UA account wont make them elighble for excess baggage allowance, unless all the bookings are on the same PNR. In which case, the baggage allowance shall be same for all flights, i.e. USA-DEL-BOM-DEL-USA. However, the fare will most likely be higher if it's all booked on same PNR.

If you book seperately for DEL-BOM, easiest way is to create an AI FFP for 10Kgs benefit and ensure it's there on the PNR / boarding pass. Or pay 250/ kg + taxes as baggage fees.

It won't be possible to credit miles to UA, if you add AI FFP # to the booking and avail the excess baggage benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.