Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Seat selection for IB codeshares on Vueling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

Just booked a flight BCN-PMI on IB.com, on VY metal with IB5xxx flight number. Seat selection is included, but unable to select on IB website and don't have VY locator. Does anyone know if/how I can select seat in advance?

Forum search brought up the below old thread, which seems to involve calling IB to get the VY locator, but even then you don't have an email address in VY site and the only way you seem to be able to do it is by downloading the VY app.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...d-seating.html

Just wondered if anything had changed for the better since this thread, or if this is the only way. Mine is a cash ticket rather than Avios in the link, and I'm OWE via BA (though doubt that means anything here). I know it's not the end of the world for a short hop, but would like to select if I can.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The times I've flown VY with an IB code, I haven't figured out how to pre-select my own seat, but every time I was given one of the preferred seats in the front part of the cabin. So at least you're quite unlikely to get the usual VY computer garbage of separating 2 pax or putting you in a middle seat in the last row... to get you to pay for assigned seating, etc.

OWE with BA is definitely worthless when flying VY out of BCN...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks, not sure I can be bothered with calling IB, downloading app etc for this, so will take my chances that I will get a reasonable seat.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:25 am

Hi,

I just bought a couple of Vueling flights throught the Iberia website.

Right after the purchase, I was able to connect to my Vueling account. I found my reservation and I selected my seats.

I believe that the link between the two accounts is my Iberia Plus number.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by friendly45
Hi,

I just bought a couple of Vueling flights throught the Iberia website.

Right after the purchase, I was able to connect to my Vueling account. I found my reservation and I selected my seats.

I believe that the link between the two accounts is my Iberia Plus number.
Interesting, thanks. I don't have an IB+ number, put my BA number into the booking but not sure if any Avios will result. If not, guess I will create an IB+ and VY account to get the Avios on future Vueling flights, and be able to select seats.

As it happens, took the flight in question this week. When I checked in on Iberia.com, it did not allow me any seat selection at OLCI, and I was assigned the back of the plane. However, wasn't a problem to get myself moved forward when I got to the airport, as the flight wasn't too busy.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Interesting, thanks. I don't have an IB+ number, put my BA number into the booking but not sure if any Avios will result. If not, guess I will create an IB+ and VY account to get the Avios on future Vueling flights, and be able to select seats.

As it happens, took the flight in question this week. When I checked in on Iberia.com, it did not allow me any seat selection at OLCI, and I was assigned the back of the plane. However, wasn't a problem to get myself moved forward when I got to the airport, as the flight wasn't too busy.
Did you get your Avios after all?

It would be nice to get confirmation on this forum whether the proposed/assumed rule above really matters regarding seat selection: IB+ account as well as VY account in order to be able to select seats.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: BA gold, IB platinum, TK gold, KLM Silver, EK, HHonours Silver, Scandic 2nd floor
the only way i managed to get a pre-assigned seat after booking IB flight number on a Vueling flight was by calling IB platina and they gave me the vueling locator
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash

It would be nice to get confirmation on this forum whether the proposed/assumed rule above really matters regarding seat selection: IB+ account as well as VY account in order to be able to select seats.
Didn't get any Avios for the flight with BA number in the booking. Have created an IB+ account and will create a VY account and see if that works in future. Will also try to amend it on one booking already made and see what happens.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FFlash

Ok, short update on this. I've now created an IB+ account and a Vueling account with my IB+ number as the primary FFP with VY. Will see if that works for seat selection going forward.

However, my current booking already had a BA number in it, which complicated matters slightly, but meant I found another way to do seat selection on VY with a booking on IB.

In order to change the FFP number in the booking from BA to IB+ (Seemingly not possible on IB.com, similar issue on BA.com), I tried Manage My Booking on Finnair and Royal Jordanian websites. Finnair wouldn't work (wouldn't recognise the IB+ number), but RJ.com did work.

I entered the 6 character IB locator and my name into MMB on RJ.com, and got into the booking. The resulting booking record showed another 5 character IB locator. After changing my FFP in the booking to IB+, I tried putting this locator into VY.com, and it worked! The booking appeared with the VY locator and I was able to change my seat from the pre-assigned one.

May not need to do this in future if having the IB+ number in my VY account works, but seems there is at least one other way to get into the booking on VY.com.

[edit : when I got to check-in at the airport, the FFP number was still showing BA in the booking, so the RJ.com trick didn't work for that. It worked fine for finding the VY locator to do seat assignment though].

Last edited by Oaxaca; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Ok, short update on this. I've now created an IB+ account and a Vueling account with my IB+ number as the primary FFP with VY. Will see if that works for seat selection going forward.

However, my current booking already had a BA number in it, which complicated matters slightly, but meant I found another way to do seat selection on VY with a booking on IB.

In order to change the FFP number in the booking from BA to IB+ (Seemingly not possible on IB.com, similar issue on BA.com), I tried Manage My Booking on Finnair and Royal Jordanian websites. Finnair wouldn't work (wouldn't recognise the IB+ number), but RJ.com did work.

I entered the 6 character IB locator and my name into MMB on RJ.com, and got into the booking. The resulting booking record showed another 5 character IB locator. After changing my FFP in the booking to IB+, I tried putting this locator into VY.com, and it worked! The booking appeared with the VY locator and I was able to change my seat from the pre-assigned one.

May not need to do this in future if having the IB+ number in my VY account works, but seems there is at least one other way to get into the booking on VY.com.

[edit : when I got to check-in at the airport, the FFP number was still showing BA in the booking, so the RJ.com trick didn't work for that. It worked fine for finding the VY locator to do seat assignment though].
Uh, what a messy process. I will try to mess it up even further next time by trying to credit to another oneworld FFP. Expecting 0% success, but never try never get, just experimenting
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
As a BA Gold can I reserve seats? There are 4 of us in the group - I'm the only one with status.

Thanks,
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by F1flyer
As a BA Gold can I reserve seats? There are 4 of us in the group - I'm the only one with status.

Thanks,
You don't mention how you booked (e.g. who is the marketing carrier), but as mentioned above, being BA Gold / OWE won't mean much on VY generally, it might if you have a BA flight number. Certainly with an IB flight number, even though I had the right to select seats on the fare I bought (that right came from the fare, not my status), in practice it was quite difficult as outlined above, until I got the VY locator.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Just in case it helps. here is my experience with seat selection on Vueling.

Route: ORY-BCN
Flight: IB5530 Vueling codeshare
Date: Aug 2015
Purchased at: iberia.com
Currency: Iberia Avios - transferred from ba.com using avios.com

Outcomes:
  1. Received IB PNR and etickets by email
  2. Cannot view or change seats via IB PNR
  3. I went ahead and registered on vueling.com, and designated my IB Plus number as preferred FF#. Not sure if this caused next outcome
  4. About 30 mins after receiving 1), I got an email from Vueling, with my Vueling PNR (in Spanish)
    Using The Vueling PNR I was able to:
    • Assign and change my seats!
    • Determine that the IB Avios award booking had mapped to a Vueling Optima fare, that provided:
      • advance (they call it allocated) seat selection
      • 1x checked bag per pax

I hope this helps!

FYI, if you don't get outcome 4 for some reason, contact Iberia via social media. I sent them a message on Facebook (to @Iberia Airlines), and they got the VY PNR back to me in about 2-3 hours. I prefer that to a phone call with potential hold time, etc, etc.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:40 am

Am trying the Iberia social media option today. Have a VY flight on Friday with IB ticket. Would really prefer an aisle seat.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Doing seating on an IB Express via Vueling booking

I entered the 6 character IB locator and my name into MMB on RJ.com, and got into the booking. The resulting booking record showed another 5 character IB locator.
Thank you, getting the Vueling code from RJ's website worked well to get seating.

It appears IB does not sell the rock bottom Vueling fare and only the one with a free checked bag and assigned seating (Optima).

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.