Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: switchyj
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I've been to Cabo many times and have never seen this type of thing. Unless things are taking a considerable turn for the worse? I think it's an isolated type of incident.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
What... I just checked into the hotel yesterday and didn't hear about this. What time did this happen?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
About 12 noon.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:57 pm

Scary stuff. I checked in around 2:30PM. Never would've known about this "event" if it weren't for this thread.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I was there about a week ago... I noticed they pretty much left the gate wide open, whereas when I was there last year they kept it closed and had a guard posted to let authorized pedestrians and vehicles through. Wonder if they'll go back to the old way.
We noticed the same thing about there no longer being a guard at the gate. When I checked in around 2:30PM yesterday (after the shooting), they had the gates closed.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
if the guy was tackled by officers with body armor, it seems the hotel may have had a threat or tip off to the violence.

In Cancun a few weeks ago, there were several dozen officers in riot gear and police vehicles, weapons and machine guns in hand, fortifying just half a block in the main downtown area from about 8pm till midnight. (Coincidentally very close to the Hyatt Ziva Cancun.) I assume whatever threat they had must have ended without violence, as a few hours later it was as if nothing ever happened.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
hmmm...trying to decide whether to tell my wife about this prior to our trip there in May with our three kids and other family members.

Seven non-refundable airfares suggest that I don't bother mentioning it.
Originally Posted by flyupfrnt
I've been to Cabo many times and have never seen this type of thing. Unless things are taking a considerable turn for the worse? I think it's an isolated type of incident.
+1

I would suggest you not give it a second thought, and enjoy your vacation in one of the safest spots in Mexico and one of the most beautiful beach settings in the world. This guy was dumb enough to start a gunfight with half a dozen law enforcement officers who clearly knew he was up to no good already, and were there just because of him. In other words, they were all over it.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I'm planning to go in a few weeks.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
A more in-depth report:

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/tour...abos-violence/
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a stay here later in the year, but I'm more than a little concerned about the area now.

See this thread - there was an incident there recently, and the links in the thread provide detail and show an alarming increase in violence in the area:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...os-3-12-a.html

I'm hoping the municipal government moves fast to protect the valuable tourist trade here.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Welcome to World of Hyatt.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That last news report there sure makes it sound like Cabo isn't as safe as it was last year.

Something tells me I'll be canceling my Ziva reservation.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I have a stay here later in the year, but I'm more than a little concerned about the area now.

See this thread - there was an incident there recently, and the links in the thread provide detail and show an alarming increase in violence in the area:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...os-3-12-a.html

I'm hoping the municipal government moves fast to protect the valuable tourist trade here.
You'll be fine. I was in the area a few months ago and felt perfectly safe. We have shootings and other incidents of violence in the town that I live in, but since I don't buy/sell drugs or involve myself in gangs, I don't overly worry. Just stay vigilant and street smart like you would anywhere else in the world that you may be traveling to, and enjoy your vacation.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure we'd all be fine at the hotel, but I do like to get into town (Flora Farms, etc.) and this is making me think that those expeditions won't be quite as worry-free.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm sure we'd all be fine at the hotel, but I do like to get into town (Flora Farms, etc.) and this is making me think that those expeditions won't be quite as worry-free.
We aren't really the type to stay at our hotel the entire time either, so we were out and about each day on our last visit. We didn't stay at the Ziva, but instead chose the Fairfield Inn in Cabo since we had no need for the all-inclusive feature. We just walked or took the bus everywhere.

Are there incidents going on? Sure. Are they going to affect your time there in any way? Highly unlikely.

I travel with my wife and kids, so I understand being concerned about things like this. However, unless things were to suddenly take a massive turn for the worse and Cabo becomes cartel central, I wouldn't change my plans. Besides, this particular property (Ziva) is very nice. My wife and I celebrated our anniversary there a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. You'll have a great time. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.