Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
SHOPPING
1. Safeway
a. Multiple locations (2)
b. Significantly more polynesian/asian offerings in regards to food, Made in Hawaii, Grown in Hawaii goods

2. Longs Drugs
a. CVS-owned; all CVS coupons and rewards are accepted.
b. Many locations, including Lihue and Poipu https://longs.staradvertiser.com/loc...p?island=kauai
c. Stores have a more significant focus on local items and goods than Mainland CVS stores.
d. Reliable source of distilled water for CPAP users.

2. ABC Stores
a. Significant number (3) of locations, accessible.
b. They carry almost nothing but local items, and also beer

3. Costco (2.6mi from LIH):
a. Gas up before dropping rental car off. It was at least $0.80/gal cheaper than anywhere else (8/20/18)
b. Kauai/Kona coffee, other gifts (e.g., macadamia nuts in multiple preparations)
c. Gift cards for local vendors are often available
d. Food court (many of the same items as continental US with same prices)
4. Walmart (1.3mi from LIH). Exceptionally busy. Busy store inside/outside/around it.
a. Beach/pool toys
b. Snacks (if you don’t have a huge family staying a long time to eat Costco bulk item)
c. Souvenirs (they have a section in the front for this)

KAUAI TOURS/SELF-GUIDED ADVENTURES
Swimming/Snorkeling
1. Poipu Beach - Massive reef offshore, with a reef onshore separating two beaches. With the closure of Tunnels/Ke'e/Lumahai beach due to landslides on Kuhio highway, Poipu beach has one of the top snorkeling spots on the island currently, and is just 5 minute drive from the hotel. Turtles and monk seal are spotted here regularly
2. Lydgate Beach - protected snorkeling spot perfect for beginners. Located on East side of the island. This looks close, but traffic in Kapaa can make this a 45 minute drive.
3. Anini Beach - Northeast on island, 1 hour to reach. Reef with significant amounts of sea life.
4. Tunnels Beach/Ke'e Beach - currently closed. 1 hour 30 minutes away. Snorkel right next to the beginning of the Na Pali coast, with significant amounts of turtles. Before Kauai restores access to the beach via Kuhio Highway, residents are strongly considering limiting access to the beach (no vehicles, only shuttles, or limited number of vehicle permits sold per day). Parking fills up fast here, and these beaches are the end of the road on island.

GUIDED TOURS
1. Wailua River + Secret Falls Hike. 30-45 minute drive from hotel. Cost $40/pp. 4 hour+ trip. 1 mile of kayaking followed by a short hike to a large waterfall. Some tours offer pineapple as a snack at the waterfall. Some offer just chips or granola bars like what you might buy from Costco.
2. Kauai Sugarloaf Pineapple. See the Huber families sugarloaf pineapple farm. Hole in the mountain farms is situated on 38 acres of land, where you will be given the rare opportunity to taste sugarloaf pineapple. An extremely low acidic pineapple that has a core that is edible, and not stringy. $65/pp w/ free pineapple and smoothie. The ARV of the pineapple you receive will be around $8-15. Sugarloaf pineapple sells for $3-4 a pound, with an average pineapple being 5-6 pounds in size. This is a once in a lifetime experience. 1 hour from GH Kauai http://kauaisugarloaf.com BOOK TOURS IN ADVANCE. We booked two weeks in advance, and at the farmers market on a Wednesday we overheard them say they were booked out for 2 weeks (so almost September). They only do tours on Thursdays.
3. Chocolate Tour. Lydgate Farms has a chocolate tour. $95/pp
4. Captain Andy's Tours. Captain Andy is currently leaving out of the south shore in Port Allen. He offers all 3 kinds of boat tours. 55ft catamaran w/ restroom, warm water rinse, cooked lunch, snorkeling, napali coast, alcoholic drinks included (up to $179 pp). They have smaller boats that do not have restrooms/rinse/cooked lunch, but will go in the sea caves. And then they have raft boats that require you to wear gloves, and are very much a thrill ride. They do beach landings in those, and basically anything. The choices are listed from most comfortable to least comfortable. 55ft catamaran is the preferred way for most

HIKING/SIGHTS
1. Kalepa Ridge Trail. 1 hour from GHK. Free. 2 hour round trip. 1.7 mile hike. Classified as hard by alltrails.com. For the time and distance you walk, this trail beats the Awaawapuhi Trail
2. Awaawapuhi Trail. 55 minute from GHK. Free. Half day. 6.7 mile hike. Classified as moderate by alltrails.com. It is a longer hike, but once you get to the end, the views are IMO better than the Kalepa Ridge Trail
3. Canyon Trail to Waipoo Falls. 50 minute from GHK. Free. 3 hours. Hike to a the top of a waterfall on the Waimae Canyon.
4. Heritage Trail. Literally on the beach at the GHK. Free. Not necessarily a crazy cool hike
5. Wailua Falls: do some research if you plan on doing a hike down to the waterfall
6. Spouting Horn. 7 minute drive from GHK. Underwhelming, but worth it to say you've seen it. 2-3 minute drive from Spouting Horn is the Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center, which has a Bubbas Burger/Tortilla Republic/The Lanai/Merriman Fish House/Eating House 1849, Dolphin, Ruth's Chris and other restaurants. To see the spouting horn, you will walk past a 150-200ft of street vendors selling crafts, everyday of the week.
7. Queen's Bath-dangerous, slippery and muddy on way day, rocky and if you are inside you may get washed out by the waves. But go at sunset and you'll see why.

FARMERS MARKETS
1. Kukui'ula Village Shopping Center - Wednesday Evening, 3:30PM - 6PM. Kauai Sugarloaf Farms attends this, and will let you try their pineapple and buy tours here. There is supposedly a beer garden, but I didn't find it. There is also food from restaurants there, as well as a booth by the "Pie Lady" (The Right Slice).

RESORT FEE INCLUDES
1. Free self-parking (for all, not just Globalist)

2. Free laundry in each guestroom with free laundry pods

3. Towel at Valet for excursions (and after 7pm for pool)

4. Free bike use

5. Sunscreen at pool

6. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights

7. Refrigerator in all rooms
  1. Self-parking
  2. Two complimentary refillable water bottles
  3. Purified water stations
  4. Poipu Bay Golf Course and Clubhouse shuttle service
  5. Coffee maker in room with Hawaiian coffee and tea
  6. Complimentary self-service washer, dryer and detergent
  7. Reusable logo tote bag located in closet
  8. Access to 24 hour Anara Spa fitness center
  9. Fitness and yoga classes at Anara Spa
    1. See daily activities schedule, 14 years and older
  10. Hospitality lounge for early arrival & late departing flights
  11. Welcome lei greeting
  12. Guided sunrise walk Monday - Saturday
  13. Hawaiian crafters daily in lobby
  14. Wildlife Walk twice weekly
  15. Hydroponic Garden tours twice weekly
  16. Entertainment and hula at Seaview Terrace
  17. Torch lighting ceremony three times per week
  18. Ukulele, lei-making and hula lessons
  19. Koi fish feeding and parrot talk
  20. Sunscreen samples at pool recreation desk
  21. Mountain Bike use - based on availability
  22. One hour tennis court time daily
    1. Reservations required, equipment rental available
  23. Complimentary boarding pass and incoming fax printing
  24. Unlimited local and toll-free calls
  25. In-room safe
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Kauai REVIEW- MASTER THREAD - mid-2011 Forward

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by steve64
To each his own
To me, valet is an extreme inconvenience. I much prefer to walk to my car than have to call ahead and/or wait for someone to retrieve it. I have stayed away from hotels and restaurants where valet is the only parking option.
To each their own indeed. I for one appreciate the fact that when we are headed to the beach, the GHK valet give us towels and bottled water (no need to walk down to the pool for towels). Very convenient.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Don't forget the complimentary access to the spa facilities as a Diamond (and assume Globalust).
Old May 26, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Current Kids club pricing

Wish I was smart enough to figure out how to post a photo (or patient enough to read how). So I cut and pasted pricing from the current brochure.

"For Young Guests ages 3 to 12. Children must be completely potty-trained. No diapers or pull-ups, no exceptions. Proof of age may be required. All campers should wear comfortable play clothes and shoes or flip-flops. Please bring a light extra layer, sunscreen and hat. Swimmers should also have a swimsuit, goggles and floaties as necessary. Day campers must be picked up by 4:00 p.m. Night Camp pick up is 10:00 p.m. Reservations are required. Please call extension 6390. Reservations, cancellations, and changes must be made by 6 PM the day prior. Late cancellations will incur a 50% charge. Night Camp features arts & crafts, indoor games, stories, computer games, movies and video games for campers.

**Times outside a Camp Hyatt session will be charged
a premium rate of $25/hr or fraction thereof. Based
upon availability.

Full Day Camp includes lunch $90
(9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
1/2 Day Camp without Lunch $50
(9 a.m. - noon or 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.)
1/2 Day Camp with Lunch $60
(9 a.m. - 1 p.m. or Noon - 4 p.m.)
Full Night Camp includes dinner $90
(4 p.m. - 10 p.m.)
1/2 Night Camp without Dinner $50
(Max. 3 Hours. Between 4 p.m - 10 p.m.)
1/2 Night Camp with Dinner $60

EDIT As of June 2 - Looks like summer rates just took effect and it's a hefty jump!
Full Day Camp includes lunch $125
(9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
1/2 Day Camp without Lunch $60
(9 a.m. - noon or 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.)
1/2 Day Camp with Lunch $70
(9 a.m. - 1 p.m. or noon - 4 p.m.)
Full Night Camp includes dinner $125
(4 p.m. - 10 p.m.)
1/2 Night Camp without Dinner $60
1/2 Night Camp with Dinner $70

Last edited by jumpdogjump; Jun 2, 2017 at 2:26 pm Reason: Complete change in pricing for summer
Old May 30, 2017, 9:34 am

Is the shuttle service to/from the airport still provided by that Roberts Shuttle, at a cost of $72~ per person?

To/from airport, the only other options are uber/lyft, taxi, and this bus schedule?
http://www.kauai.gov/BusSchedules

Is that right?

I have to return my rental car a day before I depart, and I want to find a convenient and low cost way to get back to the airport the next day.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by factory81
Is the shuttle service to/from the airport still provided by that Roberts Shuttle, at a cost of $72~ per person?

To/from airport, the only other options are uber/lyft, taxi, and this bus schedule?

Is that right?

I have to return my rental car a day before I depart, and I want to find a convenient and low cost way to get back to the airport the next day.
I don't know the circumstances which are causing you to turn the car in a day early, but you should probably call the hotel to find out (if no one here knows). But an extra day of car rental would probably cost far less than $72 per person. Or rent another car for a day when you turn in the one you'll have. Or re-book the car adding another day. Or join Costco and save enough on the car rental to pay for any extra day.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by factory81

Is that right?

Cost for a taxi is about $50 before tip (this was from last year) - much better deal than $72pp, especially if you're traveling with others. The concierge desk at the Hyatt can arrange it for you.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:51 pm

Quick question

wife just earned diamond status

Planning 2 days in august with 2 young kids. Right now DSU isn't available debating if I should book now king room and hope for upgrade on checkin or if I should book 2 queens to begin with so I have that as fall back. But in the latter case I assume little chances for upgrade as I made request for 2 queens. Am I right?

Advice greatly appreciated
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:30 pm

Upgrade to a suite extremely unlikely per feedback in this forum. I have been to the GHK many times (and will be there in 2 weeks!), but have always used DSU. I'd play it safe and book the 2 queen room.

I randomly checked Aug 8-10th, and the Garden Suite is available (not sure how firm your dates are).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ChikkyMonkey
wife just earned diamond status

Planning 2 days in august with 2 young kids. Right now DSU isn't available debating if I should book now king room and hope for upgrade on checkin or if I should book 2 queens to begin with so I have that as fall back. But in the latter case I assume little chances for upgrade as I made request for 2 queens. Am I right?

Advice greatly appreciated
If Garden suites are unavailable, sorry to say you won't get an upgrade unless someone further upgrades to ocean suites. Are higher tier suites (Ocean, Deluxe) showing available for your stay? If so, you may have the opportunity to pay for an upgrade on arrival.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by joecool1885
If Garden suites are unavailable, sorry to say you won't get an upgrade unless someone further upgrades to ocean suites. Are higher tier suites (Ocean, Deluxe) showing available for your stay? If so, you may have the opportunity to pay for an upgrade on arrival.
Do you know the approx. price of a paid upgrade to an ocean?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Playsmart
In years past when I had the Garden Suite booked (via DSU), I would get emails offering to upgrade to Ocean for about $300 if I recall correctly. That said, I have been offered complimentary upgrades to the Ocean suite upon check in on several occasions (we go every other year, so not sure if that helped, or simply luck of the draw).

As an aside, other than the first time they offered the upgrade for free, I have declined it, as we prefer the ground floor garden suites since we have kids, and its nice to let them run out onto the large grass area, and its nice to use the hammocks as well. To each their own, but just thought I would share.

I have a DSU booked in a little over a week, and can share my experience as a Glob.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Last September when I inquired by email, the upgrade charge from a Garden Suite to Ocean Suite was $250/night.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The upgrade charges change depending upon how busy it is.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Globalist Experience Today

"Globalist" and checked in today. Stayed here once about 3 years ago. Booked 4 nights with points and upgraded to Ocean View suite without asking at no charge. There are two conferences going on here during our stay and a wedding.

The suite upgrade was an unexpected and nice surprise. Nice welcome basket of chocolate macadamia nuts, pretzels, and tarot chips in suite upon arrival.

Stopped in the club for evening snack options. Pulled pork was ok and the rest of the salad and vegetable options were good.

Desserts at night were uneventful and not very good. But, everything else has been good so far.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:56 am

Great stay

Checked in Sunday, full points plus tier suite upgrade. Was upgraded to Ocean suite without inquiring (pleasant surprise). Was welcomed back as a repeat guest, even though it's been a few years (but have stayed here many times). Was informed during check in that both resort fees and valet parking would be complimentary as a Globalist (I love it when properties know the program).

Resort is dead, which is surprising for this time of year. Pool waitresses have all come by to close out our tab each day at 3:00, as they were being sent home early because it was so "unexpectedly" slow. My kids have loved having virtually no line for the waterslide all week!

Grand Club breakfast offerings have been quite good (glad they still have the Kalua Pork hash!). Evening dessert offerings are limited, and of very poor quality.

We have 2 more days before heading to Maui, but have been very happy with our stay here thus far. Too bad the new WOH program has ended my loyalty to Hyatt, and we likely won't ever be back.
super-mileage-fan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.