Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Travelzoo -- do they or don't they earn stay credits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold

I've searched and found a number of contradictory posts and reports on the eligibility of the TZ routes for earning stay credits:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6589059-post1.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11153647-post2.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10863628-post14.html

Do we have a definitive answer on whether these rates qualify or not? The T&Cs are a little too vague, but as TZ rates are actually booked on Hyatt.com with a TZ booking code certainly made me think I'd get credit.

However, I recently completed my first TZ stay at the HR Toronto and was not given stay credit. I called the Hyatt and was given a one time exception for credit. I was happy with the outcome, but will now think twice before booking another TZ rate.

I didn't use the 13147 trick, but noticed that it doesn't appear work for the current TZ promo in Toronto.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The answer should be yes. As long as you pay in the hotel for a rate that doesn't require you to be affiliated with Hyatt or its agents and not explictly excluded in T&C, that should be eligible. I think the agent made up the "one time exception" thing. It's either eligible or ineligible. They can't give you the stay credit if it's ineligible.

Last edited by jimmychang; Jul 1, 2009 at 10:47 pm
Old Oct 1, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
On The Road Again With FFN

Any current and absolutely positively stay credit posted for me when I booked Travel Zoo rate through Hyatt.com experiences? Or as far as that goes. anybody that got turned down flat for stay credit if they booked a Travel Zoo rate through the Hyatt website?

I'm in a business center now on the first night of a multi-stop road trip that got moved up because of FFN's. Some stops are at resorts that have much lower prices on Travel Zoo, and can still be rebooked that way if it works. Anybody can pay full price, but why would you if you can pay less and stay longer, but I really do want the stay credit for FFN.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Dia, HH Gold
I think the problem is thinking TravelZoo as a booking site. I believe it is and advertizing site and directs to a booking site. So the answer to your question depends on what site it direct you to for booking. Although not a travelzoo example, had a friend traveling with me, she had booked and paid through travelocity and was denied points and stay credit. Front desk said they couldn't even see the rate paid to Travelocity.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jayer
Any current and absolutely positively stay credit posted for me when I booked Travel Zoo rate through Hyatt.com experiences? Or as far as that goes. anybody that got turned down flat for stay credit if they booked a Travel Zoo rate through the Hyatt website?

I'm in a business center now on the first night of a multi-stop road trip that got moved up because of FFN's. Some stops are at resorts that have much lower prices on Travel Zoo, and can still be rebooked that way if it works. Anybody can pay full price, but why would you if you can pay less and stay longer, but I really do want the stay credit for FFN.
Why don't you simply call the phone number provided to make the booking - which is likely a Hyatt number and ask them.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:05 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Why don't you simply call the phone number provided to make the booking - which is likely a Hyatt number and ask them.
Or simply book (I believe they're usually cancellable) and then call Gold Passport to verify that its an eligible rate.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by peteropny
Or simply book (I believe they're usually cancellable) and then call Gold Passport to verify that its an eligible rate.
Correct. Most travelzoo rates are cancellable, but there are some that are not, so just read the Terms and Conditions.

By the way, I don't see the problem in getting stay and point credit. The TZ website simply takes you to the Hyatt website where you make the booking so it should be fine.

I don't know why others have had a problem but Hyatt was strange about one thing as I recall. While all other chains that I know of gave credit on Entertainment card rates (SPG, Marriott and I think Hilton and IHG) Hyatt stated that they did not, so who knows?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

I don't know why others have had a problem but Hyatt was strange about one thing as I recall. While all other chains that I know of gave credit on Entertainment card rates (SPG, Marriott and I think Hilton and IHG) Hyatt stated that they did not, so who knows?

And, guess what?

ALL TRAVELZOO RATES ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO EARN GP POINTS OR STAY CREDIT!!!

I contacted the special Hyatt phone number for the following TZ rate and the guy placed me on hold and checked with his superior and the answer is no credit whatsoever.

So forewarned is forearmed! By the way, one does earn both for TZ rates for Marriott and SPG.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/661016
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:46 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Or as far as that goes. anybody that got turned down flat for stay credit if they booked a Travel Zoo rate through the Hyatt website?
Yes, me. I learned the hard way last year; had a number of Travel Zoo rate code reservations that I did NOT get credit for (stay, point, FFN accrual, nada). When I called to request credit I was told "not an eligible rate". What really killed me was that they were for rates that were like only a couple bucks less than other discounts (AAA, prepaid, etc.). A good example of where some extreme penny pinching came back and bit me in the arse.

I agree this is one spot where Hyatt falls behind others; I assumed that since I booked through the Hyatt website that I was OK (as both SPG and HHonors allow).

Now, I simply avoid TravleZoo altogether (as I do Priceline, Hotwire, etc).

Not worth the risk for me as I'm all about points and stay credit!!

Last edited by JonathanIT; Oct 8, 2009 at 11:10 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:36 pm
wth

Programs: 2011 Air: AA (Plat) UA (Prem); Hotel: HGP (Dia), HH (Dia), KIT (IC); Car: HZ (PC) AF
I believe it has been pointed out on this forum before that TZ rates are often available via rate specials at the individual hotel info. page on hyatt.com.

So if you see a TZ rate, check the info. page for that property and click on the specials or promotions link. Often, you can find the same rate by a different name. And when you book it that way, there is no question that the stay will be credited.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Wow, that's too bad!

SPG allows travelzoo rates to earn FULL BENEFITS!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wth
I believe it has been pointed out on this forum before that TZ rates are often available via rate specials at the individual hotel info. page on hyatt.com.

So if you see a TZ rate, check the info. page for that property and click on the specials or promotions link. Often, you can find the same rate by a different name. And when you book it that way, there is no question that the stay will be credited.
Not with the one I posted above! In years past that was true, not sure of the present, however.

Bliss --

Already covered your remark above.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Since I Revived the Thread. . .

Called in yesterday and was told since I booked through Hyatt.com it would count as a stay but could not be combined with DELISH since that would be combining a price special and dining special. I'm not totally bookng on it being the correct answer, but it was a very together agent so who knows. Driving trip with evening arrival and morning departure anyway, so for the price difference I can pay to eat and still be ahead. Throw in a well-chosen weekend MR if I don't get stay credit and its all about a wash. Wanted to go there for years anyway so it seems like I can't lose.

But as suggested just above I will page through all the specials just in case. Becomes unrefundable days before arrival, but that is still a few days off.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Called in yesterday and was told since I booked through Hyatt.com it would count as a stay but could not be combined with DELISH since that would be combining a price special and dining special. I'm not totally bookng on it being the correct answer, but it was a very together agent so who knows. Driving trip with evening arrival and morning departure anyway, so for the price difference I can pay to eat and still be ahead. Throw in a well-chosen weekend MR if I don't get stay credit and its all about a wash. Wanted to go there for years anyway so it seems like I can't lose.

But as suggested just above I will page through all the specials just in case. Becomes unrefundable days before arrival, but that is still a few days off.
Don't believe it or at least get it in writing. I have spoken to 3 very experienced agents -- one with 10 years experience who is a troubleshooter for wherever Hyatt want him and that is often on the Diamond Desk and they all say no.

YMMV, but if you are banking on it get it in writing.

Moreover, if you think you can combine a $79 rate with a DELISH or DEL5K promotion, I'd say you are dreaming, but then again, stranger things have occurred. However, I would not want to be the one to run up a food and beverage bill on the expectation that it be removed at the end of the stay -- I am not that kind of a risk taker, others may be -- foolhardy, IMHO.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 7:51 pm

I find the terms for "Eligible rate" very confusing:

An "Eligible Rate" is any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to, rates found on Hyatt websites, Hyatt Daily Rate, volume, AAA and senior citizen rates, etc

The Travelzoo rate can be booked on the Hyatt website with the TVLZOO code, so shouldn't it be an elegible rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.