Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Feature - "E-STANDBY UPGRADE" - "Request Discounted Room Upgrade In Advance"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Feature - "E-STANDBY UPGRADE" - "Request Discounted Room Upgrade In Advance"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have received the offer at the Hyatt Regency SFO, and Grand Hyatt Seattle. Neither had my Diamond upgrade included (which Hilton does for Gold and Diamonds).
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:40 am

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
So how does this work out in the following situations:

1) I check in online, when availability on day of arrival is unknown?
2) I select two different upgrade types, and they are both available?

I actually enjoy this program. I have Platinum status gifted through a credit card, and that is fine for getting better rooms in the same category. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for nicer rooms, and will be curious to see how it works out.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
I booked at the Grand Hyatt New York via FFN promotion and I got an email with the following eStandby Upgrade Options. Can I do any better at check-in with GP Platinum status than this?

Unique NYC View $9/night
Experience New York City from the comfort of your own room
Provides a unique view of Grand Central Station and its famous statues, the action of 42nd Street, Times Square, or the Chrysler Building

Executive King, 360 sq. ft. $19/night
Enjoy the comfort of a separate parlor, furnished with a sleek designer couch, armchairs, fine art, lamps and tables
42" LCD TV
Pullout sleeper sofa

Business Plan for Two Guests $39/night
Add The Following to Your Stay:
Full breakfast daily for two adults in our restaurant
Complementary wireless internet access
Two shirts or blouses pressed per day (dry cleaning excluded)
Two bottles of water per day
Complimentary newspaper delivered to your room (Mon - Fri)
Free local, 800, and long distance calls within the continental U.S., Canada and Hawaii
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by westtexas
So how does this work out in the following situations:

1) I check in online, when availability on day of arrival is unknown?
2) I select two different upgrade types, and they are both available?

I actually enjoy this program. I have Platinum status gifted through a credit card, and that is fine for getting better rooms in the same category. I wouldn't mind paying slightly more for nicer rooms, and will be curious to see how it works out.
Which card "gifts" your Plat status?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:00 pm

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
Which card "gifts" your Plat status?
The Chase/Continental Presidential Plus Mastercard. By "gifted," I mean that I receive it as a benefit of the card rather than because I have stayed there.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:53 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
interesting double development

Booked a one night stay for HR Mainz in November....

Offered the Nor1 upgrade ('click here for upgrade opportunities') and when I went to see what was offered, was given the choice of early checkin or late checkout, at €65 and €80 iirc respectively. No room choice offered at all.

Don't think that this is good news

[I would put some screenshots in but I don't get the same offer when I go back to view my res in GP.com - unlike Hilton, who keep offering the nor1 upgrade when you view the res online]
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
A couple of weekends ago, I used a Welcome Back free night cert for a weekend night stay at the Chicago Hyatt Regency. I was offered various eupgrade options, including Regency Club for $50 [party of four, no high status within the GP program, so I requested it]. It was sold out when we arrived, but the check-in person was kind enought to do something to get it for me. Well worth the cost obviously for a party of 4 As it turned out, there were no more than 2-3 other people in there any time we went in except for the evening appetizer time.

Other eupgrade options included early checkin, $29, view room and perhaps larger room, but I had already made prior room arrangements due to special needs for our group.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by SharonLPK
A couple of weekends ago, I used a Welcome Back free night cert for a weekend night stay at the Chicago Hyatt Regency. I was offered various eupgrade options, including Regency Club for $50 [party of four, no high status within the GP program, so I requested it]. It was sold out when we arrived, but the check-in person was kind enought to do something to get it for me. Well worth the cost obviously for a party of 4 As it turned out, there were no more than 2-3 other people in there any time we went in except for the evening appetizer time.

Other eupgrade options included early checkin, $29, view room and perhaps larger room, but I had already made prior room arrangements due to special needs for our group.
(Above emphasis added by me.)

When I checked in to the Hyatt Regency San Francisco recently, the front desk agent didn't mention my NOR-1 request. When I asked about the status, she said that it had been "declined". This was in spite of the fact that the hotel's website still listed Regency Club rooms available; I kept checking throughout the day out of curiosity. I did get the (paid) upgrade after mentioning this to the agent who then checked with her manager. However, it left me with a negative impression of the hotel and the NOR-1 program in general. I'd prefer not to be offered the standby upgrade option at all if upgrades are awarded selectively, even when the room type is still available on the day of arrival and being sold to others.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:41 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by hotelierLA
I'd prefer not to be offered the standby upgrade option at all if upgrades are awarded selectively, even when the room type is still available on the day of arrival and being sold to others.
My understanding is that the eStandby upgrades are given at the discretion of the hotel's front office manager. I could see a FOM holding back a discounted upgrade if he or she thinks the room will sell for full price that day or if the room needs to stay open for a guest arriving not that night but shortly thereafter, but generally I'd think the hotel would be happy to take any free revenue it can get.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
My understanding is that the eStandby upgrades are given at the discretion of the hotel's front office manager. I could see a FOM holding back a discounted upgrade if he or she thinks the room will sell for full price that day or if the room needs to stay open for a guest arriving not that night but shortly thereafter, but generally I'd think the hotel would be happy to take any free revenue it can get.
Your reasoning makes sense, and I'm quite sure that was the hotel's rationale in my scenario. Furthermore, if all the Regency Club rooms had been assigned or sold before my arrival, I'd have had no reason to disagree with the front desk; that's the chance you take with NOR-1. However, the fact that they were holding out for a better offer irked me. I doubt I'll take the standby upgrade offer again.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 3:52 pm
hch

Originally Posted by aglp2k
Business Plan for Two Guests $39/night
Add The Following to Your Stay:
Full breakfast daily for two adults in our restaurant
Complementary wireless internet access
Two shirts or blouses pressed per day (dry cleaning excluded)
Two bottles of water per day
Complimentary newspaper delivered to your room (Mon - Fri)
Free local, 800, and long distance calls within the continental U.S., Canada and Hawaii
I just got this offer for $15 a night at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge, MA. I don't know what their restaurant prices are, but a full breakfast must be more than $15 alone. I've selected it for now, let's see how this ends up.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 7:09 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Very strange offer by Hyatt at Olive 8, Seattle: 50 minute massage for $79. Seems like these e-standby offers are morphing into a way to sell all sorts of add-ons.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:48 am

I saw a notation on one offer I got from Tamaya (this time with my 7 day arrival notice) that I haven't seen before:

"Diamond and Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport members are eligible for a complimentary upgrade, based on program guidelines, if available at check-in."

They were offering an upgrade to a Deluxe Balcony King for $9 and Regency Club for $39, both of which would be free if available for Diamonds.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by DealDetective
I saw a notation on one offer I got from Tamaya (this time with my 7 day arrival notice) that I haven't seen before:

"Diamond and Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport members are eligible for a complimentary upgrade, based on program guidelines, if available at check-in."

They were offering an upgrade to a Deluxe Balcony King for $9 and Regency Club for $39, both of which would be free if available for Diamonds.
HR Maui is not offering any free options as well. Cheapest is $30 for a partial ocean view king.

I have quit doing the Nor1 $0 club upgrades. I feel it gives the hotel an out for a less than spectacular upgrade. "You only requested a one-step upgrade." This is purely anecdotal, but my upgrades have been much better when not requesting a Nor1.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:17 am

Looking at the eStandby for SFO Airport... has the $0 complimentary upgrade to a Club Room.

Now if I am booking more than one room, does that mean both rooms are eligible for the upgrade... or only the one I as a Diamond, will occupy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.