Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) Addison, TX - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2007, 7:21 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have short stays on a rather frequent basis in this area of Dallas. I've grown tired of $329 for the Westin Galleria with -zero- platinum benefit and a dated hotel. So, given the double elite credit, I thought I'd give the Summerfield Suites a try.

On arrival, I'll admit it was a bit motel-ish for my tastes, but what I ended up with was A) An awesome rate; B) A clean room and very friendly service; and C)lots of things included in the price that would not have been included other places.

Rate was $109. Check in was a breeze in most respects. Room was large with a hampton-inn-esque King bed; not at all uncomfortable, but there are certain aspects of The Hyatt Touch that maybe won't touch this brand. That aside, there was free wireless, a big kitchenette, coffee aplenty, a nice sitting area, and a big dressing area and walk-in closet. The bathroom itself was tiny, and the shower fixtures were dated, with water that just barely qualified as "hot" and not "warm". That's the worst thing I could find to say! The room was clean and comfortable.

Happy-hour type reception is held with a different food each night (enchiladas the night I was there), along with fresh fruit. There is always coffee available and it was never stale. Breakfast - included - was small omelettes, scrambled eggs, sausage, potatoes, a waffle iron with pre-measured waffle mixes to DIY, plus fruit, cereal, and an impressive spread of pastries/bagels, etc.

The fitness center has a stairmaster, bike, and treadmill. It was tiny - but since I was the only one there, I guess it was HUGE!

The one bump in the road is with Gold Passport. I don't know if there's supposed to be any type of amenity for Diamonds, but none was offered. In fact, despite re-confirming my GP# in the reservation with Summerfield reservations, the checkin agent at the hotel said, "No, there's no GP# assigned to your reservation". I watched her put it in- and yet, at checkout, it didn't print anywhere. I asked my checkout agent about that, and they were able to print me out a bill with my GP# showing. After four days, no points have posted, so I don't know how long I'm supposed to wait for the credit. Anyone with experience in posting for the new brands?

I was pleasantly surprised by this property, and I'll head back here again.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
I too recently stayed at this property and I did not have a pleasant stay. I was also motivated to check out the brand as a result of the current promotion.

Upon check in, I also had to remind the clerk about my Diamond status. I made sure she entered my GP number correctly. She gave me my room key and I then had to drive to the other side of the property to find my room. Up three flights of stairs and I enter my room only to find that it was already occupied!! Thank God, that the guest was not in the room and I am very thankful that I did walk in on anyone!

So, back down the stairs and back in the car to drive back to the same clerk. When I informed her of this serious mistake, she replied "impossible"! Well, after a few minutes I was able to convince her that it was occupied, and she gave me a new room key for the room right next to the other one. So, you guessed it, back in the car and up the stairs again to MY room.

I thought the room and kitchenette was okay. Kinda dated, nothing of the caliber of a Hyatt. Very similar to a Homewood Suites property. It was cold and raining that night, and I couldn't get the heater to work properly, so it was a chilly evening in my room. To add to the not so pleasant stay, my alarm clock was broken and never went off.

To their credit, I did speak with the GM and he did credit me for the room. I will not return to this property, despite the promo and I look forward to trying a Hyatt Place if and when they ever open.

YMMV, and the rate was very competitive. Obviously, the OP had a good stay at this location.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 3:41 pm

Did it look like these pictures?

http://www.hyattdevelopment.com/ss_p...ery/index.html

Maybe you were assigned an unrennovated room. I doubt a newly finished room would look or feel at all dated judging by the conceptual drawings.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Tummy
conceptual drawings.
While the conceptual drawings look nice, the furnishings in my room were quite dated.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have agree with you. The SS are pretty decent properties. While they're no Hyatt's, they certainly are more than adequate, and quite frankly, preferred if staying on business for around a week.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:58 am

I stayed at the Addison Summerfield Suites about 6 years ago when it was brand new (a Wyndham then) and enjoyed it a lot. Great location and good amenities for long stays.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Any improvements to the dated rooms?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I would also like to hear about the quality of rooms at this property.

For those living in the vicinity of this hotel they have some awsome rates for MR in Jan. Prepaid rate is ~$62.00 all-in. Imagine getting diamond for only ~$750.00 with the current promotion. And to top it off each stay in Jan rakes in 2,500 bonus points (HP and SS promo). That's ~35,000 pts + diamond status through Feb. 2010 for the price of one night in NYC.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by todorovic
I would also like to hear about the quality of rooms at this property.

For those living in the vicinity of this hotel they have some awsome rates for MR in Jan. Prepaid rate is ~$62.00 all-in. Imagine getting diamond for only ~$750.00 with the current promotion. And to top it off each stay in Jan rakes in 2,500 bonus points (HP and SS promo). That's ~35,000 pts + diamond status through Feb. 2010 for the price of one night in NYC.

Building 11 does not appear to be a recent remodel as rumored. Visible but not awful wear on furniture. Drapes old enough they don't quite close. Quite a few chips and dings and a missing doorknob. (Perhaps somebody else has been in a building they are sure was redone recently)?

Not terrible for what I'm paying on a holiday week tonight, but not a great romantic destination. I'd give it a C. For anybody interested, several of the better dining places in Dallas are nearby.

As implied above and elsewhere in the thread, this is a legacy multi-building property. Enough people seem to have booked MR's here that the weekend price for January has gone up to $71. Should have booked some cheaper while I could, but I was hoping for a more exotic location.

Edited 2-4-2008--Back for another stay in a suite I would consider in good if not luxury shape. For those interested in a long-term stay, it does offer a real stove with a real oven and a apartment-sized refrigerator. I'd give this suite a B+. You could do worse. Perhaps the big weakness is the mattresses. While not awful, they are not the Hyatt mega-bed either.

Last edited by jayer; Feb 3, 2008 at 9:08 pm
Old May 17, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Just finished a stay here. My spouse and I both had separate rooms to take advantage of the BWB. We ended up going to a Hilton down the street to sleep on Friday based on the room and events that occurred.

So we arrived late after driving up to Austin due to the weather in Texas on Friday and delays/cancellations. Glad we drove as some friends trying to fly didn't arrive into DAL until after 1 am.

The hotel is definitely motel-ish. Check-in staff was friendly enough. No Diamond recognition, so we remind them about the welcome amenity points. No upgrades offered or discussed.

While checking in, one of the other staff members comes in and starts discussing with the employee handling our check-in about a guy complaining about a key not working. She responds that the key is working because he's getting a green/red light but that the wife/gf? is inside the room and not letting him in. They keep going back and forth on this while we (spouse and I) look at each other.

We then drive around to one of the buildings to check into the wife's room. We pass 3 police cars and a member of hotel management. We get into spouse's room and notice it looks even more dated than the SS in Houston-Katy Energy location. The bathroom was really dated and the mattress not good at all.

So we hope that maybe my room is better/in one of the supposedly updated/renovated buildings. We use the map to find our room and end up close to the police again. As we walk closer to the right number block, we get right next to all the police officers. Then we go up the stairs and realize that we have been assigned the room directly underneath the "domestic disturbance" occurring. There were police up the different floors and questioning the gentlemen and you could hear the wife/gf talking loudly above. Why the check-in staff would put us right near all of this when moments ago she was talking with her co-worker about the situation escalating was beyond us.

Needless to say, this is one dump of a hotel to actually stay in. As for a BWB stay, this was top notch for Dallas coming to $55.42 ai after Costco cert (AAA rate).

We saw a SS property off of Hwy 75 later that weekend that looked really nice/new and updated so maybe we'll give that one a try if need be.

The state of the hotel was surprising given how close to several new/hip Addison restaurants just around the corner. Oh well.

Originally Posted by jayer
Building 11 does not appear to be a recent remodel as rumored. Visible but not awful wear on furniture. Drapes old enough they don't quite close. Quite a few chips and dings and a missing doorknob. (Perhaps somebody else has been in a building they are sure was redone recently)?

Not terrible for what I'm paying on a holiday week tonight, but not a great romantic destination. I'd give it a C. For anybody interested, several of the better dining places in Dallas are nearby.

As implied above and elsewhere in the thread, this is a legacy multi-building property. Enough people seem to have booked MR's here that the weekend price for January has gone up to $71. Should have booked some cheaper while I could, but I was hoping for a more exotic location.

Edited 2-4-2008--Back for another stay in a suite I would consider in good if not luxury shape. For those interested in a long-term stay, it does offer a real stove with a real oven and a apartment-sized refrigerator. I'd give this suite a B+. You could do worse. Perhaps the big weakness is the mattresses. While not awful, they are not the Hyatt mega-bed either.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:05 am

this is a good place for BWB, I saw their weekend rates are as low as $55 last month
Old Nov 2, 2010, 11:57 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
this is a good place for BWB, I saw their weekend rates are as low as $55 last month
Not sure I understand what you mean since $55 a night would be terrible for BWB/FFN redemption. And BWB/FFN qualification is not running right now neither is redemption.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:12 pm

to be clear:
Staying there by paying $55 + Tax /per weekend night, and redeem the BWB free night at some Hyatts in NY, HK or Tokoyo
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:14 pm

personally I received a target promotion, stay anywhere one time on or before 11/7, get a free night cert staying anywhere before 11/30
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:55 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by iwpingmu
personally I received a target promotion, stay anywhere one time on or before 11/7, get a free night cert staying anywhere before 11/30
Oh ok - you got one of the "inactive" Diamond account targetted promos - stay 1x get 1 night free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.