Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gift card fraud @ Hyatt Regency Newport Beach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.

It appears the clerk who processed my checkout at the HR in Newport Beach in February helped themselves to the card # and pulled about $1800 from my e-gift card. I rather doubt the card was compromised through digital means....5 days after my checkout @ the HR Newport Beach the card gets hit for $385.00...then $1250 @ the HR in Scottsdale AZ...and then 2 small charges to pull the remaining balance off a week later in Kansas City & Houston. The gift card was purchased in December and the Newport Beach HR transaction was the first and only time it was used anywhere.

Hyatt Customer care is handling the situation in a very professional and expedient manner. I'm impressed. Upon reporting the fraud they promised to look into everything and I've been promised a new gift card within the next 2 business days. I was expecting weeks at best.

So...big thumbs down for the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, big thumbs up for Hyatt corporate's handling of the situation.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
It appears the clerk who processed my checkout at the HR in Newport Beach in February helped themselves to the card # and pulled about $1800 from my e-gift card. I rather doubt the card was compromised through digital means....5 days after my checkout @ the HR Newport Beach the card gets hit for $385.00...then $1250 @ the HR in Scottsdale AZ...and then 2 small charges to pull the remaining balance off a week later in Kansas City & Houston. The gift card was purchased in December and the Newport Beach HR transaction was the first and only time it was used anywhere.

Hyatt Customer care is handling the situation in a very professional and expedient manner. I'm impressed. Upon reporting the fraud they promised to look into everything and I've been promised a new gift card within the next 2 business days. I was expecting weeks at best.

So...big thumbs down for the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, big thumbs up for Hyatt corporate's handling of the situation.
Not to stand up for the HR Newport Beach but Hyatt's been having a lot of trouble with gift card fraud....Check out this thread

FDW
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I think this is much more likely a Hyatt problem than a HR Newport Beach problem. Plus if the agent wanted to commit fraud/theft they have access to credit card information, which can be used to buy a lot more than $2000 at a couple hotels.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would not necessarily blame the hotel. That thread that the poster above gave is the right one for you to read. This is a consistent problem with Hyatt eGCs that they are getting compromised. These include eGCs directly from Hyatt and not just eGCs through third parties.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
...maybe its not Hyatt Newport Beach

Yes, it is possible the breach was on Hyatt's end vs the Hotel however, I do not believe it is likely.

The method of inputing the gift card by the hotel is rife with potential for fraud. It's manually typed in by the agent who has the opportunity to do a CTRL + C and a CTRL + V into a notepad on the laptop. This is not possible with a swiped credit card. Stealing a gift card balance is super low hanging fruit for a theif...stealing credit card information is a bit more complicated as they still have to clone a card etc.

While I have no proof that it was the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach that's the source of the fraud, all circumstantial evidence points in that direction. Brand new gift card, first and only use was at the property, 5 days after check-out the card gets used in a neighboring state for a weekend stay.

Bottom line is that Hyatt needs to develop a secure method for using gift cards. Having the ability to apply the gift card as a method of payment during e-checkout seems logical.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
While I have no proof that it was the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach that's the source of the fraud, all circumstantial evidence points in that direction. Brand new gift card, first and only use was at the property, 5 days after check-out the card gets used in a neighboring state for a weekend stay.
Check the other thread. People who had purchased eGCs directly from Hyatt still had theirs compromised without any activity.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would definitely say given that this has been happening over and over again recently, the chance of it being a Hyatt issue is great. You're accusing a person that works for Hyatt of stealing. The risk of doing that is great as Hyatt can easily track when/where the gift card was used. I'm not saying that it's not possible, as there are many thieves in the world that don't consider the consequences. I'm just saying that your incident is not isolated so more likely to be the same as others.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:01 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by pWei
Check the other thread. People who had purchased eGCs directly from Hyatt still had theirs compromised without any activity.
Any compensation for this?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Any compensation for this?
I don't know if anyone has gotten compensated for this. Hyatt just replaces the funds and moves on.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
helped themselves to the card # and pulled about $1800 from my e-gift card.
Was this one code with $1800 or more on it?

I have several physical Hyatt cards $50, $100, and $200 from Amazon and SVM eBay. No problems.

I'll stick to getting and using these.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhdena
Was this one code with $1800 or more on it?

I have several physical Hyatt cards $50, $100, and $200 from Amazon and SVM eBay. No problems.

I'll stick to getting and using these.
i and many others had problems with physical GCs. YMMV.

I am not even sure whether it's a fraud or some glitch - leaning towards the latter given that hyatt seems to be pretty casual about it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.