Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatts that only give junior suites on DSUs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Markie
List of properties identified in the posts below:

North and South America:

Andaz Wall Street
HR Chicago
PH New York
PH Washington DC

Europe:

GH Berlin
GH Martinez Cannes
PH Milan
PH Vendome

India, Asia and Australasia:

GH Seoul
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP

Is the practice of only offering junior suites on diamond suite upgrades widespread? Which hotels?

I had this recently with PH Milan as well as GH Martinez Cannes.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by skaya
Is the practice of only offering junior suites on diamond suite upgrades widespread?
Nope, most hotels I know offer full suites.

It is pretty standard for most Hyatt Regency to offer Regency Suite, Grand Hyatt to offer Grand Suite, and Park Hyatt to offer Park Suite.

Some do offer Junior Suites, but in my experience it is 2 of the 20+ properties I have tried.

Which hotels?
PH SEOUL
PH DC (it is 50/50 last time I checked)

I had this recently with PH Milan as well as GH Martinez Cannes.

Last edited by DHalltheway; May 29, 2015 at 9:16 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
GH Berlin since their last management change...
Old May 29, 2015, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
PH NYC

Andaz WS is not a true suite either
Old May 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

HR Chicago
Old May 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Only got a Junior suite at Park Hyatt Vendome last year and, unlike football fan, I got a full suite at Grand Hyatt Berlin in May. Also, Grand Hyatt Chicago only gives a junior suite.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by joey965
Only got a Junior suite at Park Hyatt Vendome last year and, unlike football fan, I got a full suite at Grand Hyatt Berlin in May. Also, Grand Hyatt Chicago only gives a junior suite.
Which hotel is that again?

Old May 29, 2015, 5:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
As far as i am concerned a "junior suite" is just a regular room a tad bigger and i don't consider it a suite. you could also call it a corner room... If this were to happen, I know I would refuse the room and rather take a regular room without a DSU.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Nope, most hotels I know offer full suites.

It is pretty standard for most Hyatt Regency to offer Regency Suite, Grand Hyatt to offer Grand Suite, and Park Hyatt to offer Park Suite.

Some do offer Junior Suites, but in my experience it is 2 of the 20+ properties I have tried.

PH SEOUL
PH DC (it is 50/50 last time I checked)
In some PHs, the Park Suite is a junior suite: one room even though it's large. There might be some sort of a divider, perhaps with a swivel TV and minibar, but it's still one room with not even a partial wall let alone a real door.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some PHs, the Park Suite is a junior suite: one room even though it's large. There might be some sort of a divider, perhaps with a swivel TV and minibar, but it's still one room with not even a partial wall let alone a real door.
Been fortunate that all the PH I've visited don't have that very issue.

Additionally, I just checked the website and PH Seoul does have doors at the park suite, so it actually isn't a Junior suite.

Whoops!

But it is the tiniest suite in a Park Hyatt that I've stayed at thus far.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Been fortunate that all the PH I've visited don't have that very issue.

Additionally, I just checked the website and PH Seoul does have doors at the park suite, so it actually isn't a Junior suite.

Whoops!

But it is the tiniest suite in a Park Hyatt that I've stayed at thus far.
The bigger problem with the PH Seoul suites using DSUs is that they don't have desks, just a small dining table with chairs that aren't desk chairs. There's no reasonable electric outlet except for the coffee maker or next to the bed. Having the electrical cord to my laptop computer go across the room to a wall outlet scares me because it would be so easy to trip on the cord and send the computer crashing to the floor. It's odd in a hotel designed for business travelers and located far from the city's tourist areas.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
If it is going to be a very small suite (<50m2, and especially when <45m2), then we prefer an open floorplan (ie, a junior suite), or maybe just a semi partition rather than 2 claustrophobic rooms.

And when standard rooms are small (<30m2), I have no qualms with using a DSU to get a >45m2 junior suite if we're staying for longer than 4 nights.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:27 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'm not sure if I understand this thread. Many hotels have several categories of suites. For example, Hyatt Regency New Orleans has 4 kinds of suites. As far as I can tell, a DSU books you into the crummiest suite in the hotel's inventory. I'd be very interested to know of any exceptions. Yes we've all been booked into a bigger suite but these are one-off exceptions. IME the norm is that the DSU gives you the crummiest / smallest / cheapest suite. So perhaps the better question is, "which hotels offer crummy suites?".
Old May 30, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I think the OP's point is which hotels are classifying "junior suites" (ie, a single large room) as the entry-level "suite" for the DSU. GP's definition of a "suite" for the DSU is a "one-beroom suite", which seems to be a contradiction when receiving a single large room.

We personally are more interested in overall space and ease of use rather than complete separation, but I can see that guests travelling with children or inviting someone into the suite to talk business or otherwise looking for the added privacy might prefer 2 separate rooms, no matter how small, to a single large room.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The bigger problem with the PH Seoul suites using DSUs is that they don't have desks, just a small dining table with chairs that aren't desk chairs. There's no reasonable electric outlet except for the coffee maker or next to the bed. Having the electrical cord to my laptop computer go across the room to a wall outlet scares me because it would be so easy to trip on the cord and send the computer crashing to the floor. It's odd in a hotel designed for business travelers and located far from the city's tourist areas.
Just poorly designed overall. Arguably the bathroom is easier to work from if they just had a better chair.

GH Seoul has been known to give its unrenovated Junior suite to those on DSUs. It's the one with blue carpet, old fixtures and looks very much like it did when the hotel was built.

Last edited by Aventine; May 30, 2015 at 3:07 am Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.