Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Standard rooms available at hotel -- Hyatt says GP rooms 'not available'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kacee
Hyatt hotels that are currently cheating award bookings by moving standard rooms out of Hyatt Daily Rate inventory and into package-only rates (which can't be booked using points): (Additional suggestion: please also show when you checked (eg 6/5/15) for stay period of (eg 7/1-4/15):

Hyatt XYZ - checked 6/5/15 for 7/1-4/15

Andaz West Hollywood
Hyatt Regency Austin
Driskill Hotel, Austin (standard rooms only available on B&B rate for certain nights and hotel refused to budge after phone call from WoH)
Hyatt Atlanta Midtown
Hyatt Vineyard Creek
Hyatt Regency Embarcadero SF (6/25 - 6/26)
Andaz San Diego July 17-19 (SD Pride) - all rooms avail w/Best Avail
Hyatt Santa Barbara (7/17/15 - 7/19/15) - resolved with phone call to HGP
Hyatt Regency Toronto (8/13-8/16)
Andaz Maui (1/5-1/11) - standard garden room avail on AS/AA package
Grand Hyatt San Francisco (dates throughout November 2015)
Hyatt Regency SFO
Park City Hyatt Centric
Hyatt Place San Francisco

Additionally, Hyatt Place hotels are now apparently able to hide rooms from point redemption by claiming they're 'high floor' rooms. Here are those offenders:

Hyatt Place Saratoga/Malta -- checked 6/22/15 for Aug 1-Aug 15 (all dates blacked out for redemption, despite having plenty of rooms)
Hyatt Place Cleveland/Independence - 7/10-7/12. Only offering 'high floor' rooms on a 6 story hotel.

Please email [email protected] regarding the Hyatt Place High Floor issue; they said that there were too few complaints to warrant any change.
Print Wikipost

Standard rooms available at hotel -- Hyatt says GP rooms 'not available'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

There seems to be a trend with select properties as of late micro managing standard room inventory
Reports have been popping up on social media
Hopefully Hyatt isn't going the way of Delta Airlines
Old Jun 6, 2015, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree. In those cases, have you been able to get central reservations to force an award reservation for you after you have pointed out the discrepancy?
Almost always, except when such availability "disappears" before they look at it.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
This is really getting absurd. After hearing about the 'high floor room' code for Hyatt Place in other posts, I just experienced this absurdity for myself.

I spoke to GP Corporate and was told that "high floor" was a room code created at the beginning of 2015 because there are newer Hyatt Place locations that are very large hotels. (I have stayed at the Hyatt Place Austin which is 20+ stories, so I can understand this.) My problem is that Hyatt allowed the hotels to create the 'high floor' code but didn't mandate that this rate be available for GP bookings, thereby DRASTICALLY reducing the number of rooms available for points within Hyatt.

Since the Hyatt Place rooms themselves are no different, and that Hyatt has let even the original Hyatt Place hotels now use the 'high floor' code (even though they're usually only 5-7 floors in the hotel), this may be the largest stealth devaluation for any chain this year!

I'm moving ALL my Hyatt stays to SPG until GP addresses this. I understand why the hotels don't want to redeem GP nights (they get much lower revenue than selling it) but why is Hyatt corporate allowing them to get away with this???
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I've moved my stays to Hilton and SPG. Hyatt has been chipping away at benefits lately, on top of a subpar website experience.. while their customer service is good, I don't have time to call them for every single request.

Hilton points are close to worthless but at this rate, HGP is not too far behind. What's the point of earning with Hyatt when you can't even spend the points?
It's one thing to charge more points for the same room.. but not being able to get a room no matter what??
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by moulder3
This is really getting absurd. After hearing about the 'high floor room' code for Hyatt Place in other posts, I just experienced this absurdity for myself.

I spoke to GP Corporate and was told that "high floor" was a room code created at the beginning of 2015 because there are newer Hyatt Place locations that are very large hotels. (I have stayed at the Hyatt Place Austin which is 20+ stories, so I can understand this.) My problem is that Hyatt allowed the hotels to create the 'high floor' code but didn't mandate that this rate be available for GP bookings, thereby DRASTICALLY reducing the number of rooms available for points within Hyatt.

Since the Hyatt Place rooms themselves are no different, and that Hyatt has let even the original Hyatt Place hotels now use the 'high floor' code (even though they're usually only 5-7 floors in the hotel), this may be the largest stealth devaluation for any chain this year!

I'm moving ALL my Hyatt stays to SPG until GP addresses this. I understand why the hotels don't want to redeem GP nights (they get much lower revenue than selling it) but why is Hyatt corporate allowing them to get away with this???
Who is GP corporate?Chicago?
This is news to me and if so indeed a silent devaluation
I won't comment till I have all the facts\
A standard room should be a standard room and the floor number or how many stories the hotel has should have nothing to do with it
Thanks for the heads up
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I see normal suburban and airport HP properties (of the type that Hyatt acquired, not the newly built ones) in the 5-7 story range now offering the high floor room category. Sometimes it's ten dollars more but other times it can be booked at the same price as the standard room. The hotels don't seem to have a consistent definition of which rooms are considered to be on high floors.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:47 am

I've begun to move my business to other chains and non-Hyatt properties because of this "game playing" by individual hotels, not only with the room categories but also with Diamond benefits (breakfasts, DSU availability, etc.). I'm still a huge fan of the HGP program itself. It's a creative, well-managed program that is beginning to be undercut by the properties and their (greedy) owners.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello moulder3,

The policy is that if there are standard guest rooms available at the Hyatt Daily Rate, then there should be rooms available using Gold Passport points. If the standard rooms are only offered under a different package or rate plan such as the Advance Purchase rate or Awaken Package, then the hotel is not obligated to offer rooms using Gold Passport points.

I hope that helps to clarify!

Thanks,

Sarah
Even when those packages are less, $$ wise, than the daily rate?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by esquesk
More for informational purposes.
For example, if I had the knowledge that one hotel games the system in terms of award availability, I would be less likely to give them my revenue stays.
^
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Can't edit the wiki but Kauai:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ard-rooms.html
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Or equal to. Because they are then evading the program rules. I would think Hyatt corporate has an interest in not letting properties do that.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Kacee
Or equal to. Because they are then evading the program rules. I would think Hyatt corporate has an interest in not letting properties do that.
I guess this is probably a win/win for Hyatt GP. No $$ paid out for the award and the hotel gets more $$.

But it's a loss to the customer and another reason to reconsider keeping Diamond. SPG does play similar games but not anywhere near as bad.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:55 pm

I just noticed that the Hyatt Place Reno is now designating certain rooms as "high floor" rooms. I don't know whether this is having a significant effect on availability. Maybe they are just doing it for certain high capacity times of year, like Burning Man or similar kinds of stuff. But if you've been to the Hyatt Place Reno, the notion that there should be premium rooms based on floor is so absurd that it completely puts the lie to the notion that this is anything but an absolute farce designed by Hyatt to give their properties effective reward blackout control. I stay there a lot. A "high floor" premium designation at the Hyatt Place Reno is almost too absurd to contemplate.

In my view, there is nothing more crucial than blackout rules when judging a hotel loyalty program. This is going to be interesting to monitor. If this becomes more than isolated incidents, it would be hard to imagine a program going from top flight to crap more quickly. I've only been at the business travel game and the points accumulation game for about 10 years, but it's hard to imagine a more spectacular flame out than if HGP were to give properties effective quasi-blackout control in all but a few high-capacity days each year.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Just wondering, how would you know what the HDR is if there are no rooms available ?

But it's a loss to the customer and another reason to reconsider keeping Diamond. SPG does play similar games but not anywhere near as bad.
We should keep the focus on the specific properties that are playing these games. That way, we can use this thread for informational purposes, rather than a thread of complaining/venting as YMMV.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by esquesk
Just wondering, how would you know what the HDR is if there are no rooms available ?
Technically that is true, but all you have to do is compare the HDR vs package rate of the other room categories, and it's pretty easy to make that comparison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.