Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Daytona Beach Shores REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Diamond

I just completed a four night stay at Hyatt Place Daytona Beach. This is a fairly new Hyatt property opening in October 2013.

Pros: most of the 150 rooms are oceanfront with about 40 ocean view. Although my endless possibility points provided a ocean view room I was given an oceanfront room. The room is bigger than most Hyatt Place properties and very well laid out. Being newer the room was clean with nicer furniture than the standard Hyatt Places I have visited. The television was a 40inch and both HBO and Showtime was available. All rooms feature a nice sized walk out balcony with beautiful views of the Atlantic. The lobby is large and well laid out and the breakfast area is about double the size of most Hyatt Places I have visited. The morning breakfast is normal Hyatt Place fare. There is outdoor seating above the pool for eating. The main pool area is large and well maintained but was also one of my cons which I will explain. The beach area in front of the hotel is nice and since this hotel is actually in Daytona Shores was much less crowded and less beach traffic than the area north. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating.

Cons: Not much to complain about except for the nasty whirlpool. The main pool was clean and well maintained but I didn't see the whirlpool cleaned at any time during my four night (endless possibility promo nights). This resulted in an oily film on top of the water and dirt, sand, etc on the bottom. I can't believe anybody would have used this nasty pit but plenty of people did. Yuck. The second complaint concerned the balcony furniture. This issue was discussed at length on Trip Advisor and until recently there was no balcony furniture at all. When we arrived we found two plastic chairs you would find at Walmart for about $10.00 each and no table. An upgrade in this area is definitely needed.

Even though this is a category 3 property and I probably didn't maximize my 4 nights endless possibility promotion value, we wanted a beach vacation and I didn't see any other category 1-4 properties directly on the ocean. Overall very pleased with our choice.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Liked The Place In Off Season

Think beach hotel not resort. Maybe not perfect but really good. Well, breakfast was pretty average even for an HP.

On a very good stretch of walking beach. Better than average HP room with a real bath. Expanded breakfast area that functioned like a real old-fashioned hotel lobby the rest of the day.

Parking was a bit odd and would be a problem if the hotel was full (but I would not go near sold-out anyplace anyway). Rather than being under the hotel like many beach places, it was all around the hotel. Get there too late and you are across the street in the overflow. Behind a store. As it was people beeping their cars locked shut at midnight was kind of a pain for a light sleeper.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Any updates?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM, Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Any updates?
Stayed here a handful of times over the past few years. Typical Hyatt Place with beach-going crowds. They’ve always upgraded me to ocean view. Parking can be a pain if they are full since you have to park across the street. I’m always here for business so have never gone down to beach.
cfabar1 and synergistic like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I stayed here for a few days last November and the year before. Hotel itself is nothing special, just an average Hyatt Place, but it’s probably the best located HP in Florida being one of only 3 or 4 beachfront Hyatts in the whole state, the others being often 3+ times the price.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Alpinetrekker
I stayed here for a few days last November and the year before. Hotel itself is nothing special, just an average Hyatt Place, but it’s probably the best located HP in Florida being one of only 3 or 4 beachfront Hyatts in the whole state, the others being often 3+ times the price.
Yeah Daytona beach hotels are a lot cheaper than the west coast ones(Clearwater/st Pete) and south Florida. But personally I don’t like the sand and beach conditions in Daytona
Old Jun 18, 2021, 2:25 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Yeah Daytona beach hotels are a lot cheaper than the west coast ones(Clearwater/st Pete) and south Florida. But personally I don’t like the sand and beach conditions in Daytona
There is a big differnece in nightly rates GOM vs Atlantic properties. I agree that Clearwater to St Pete has the better sand-nice and powdery especially at St Pete's Beach. But, the bodysurfing is better on the Atlantic side, especially from St Augustine to Flagler Beach (my favorite and the reason why I bought in Palm Coast, instead of the Tampa area.) Daytona suffers from too many vehicles driving on the beach, so harder packed sand, but I think the water is cleaner on the Atlantic side, well, except the occasional jellyfish problem up near Jacksonville Beach.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 4:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by rbAA
There is a big differnece in nightly rates GOM vs Atlantic properties. I agree that Clearwater to St Pete has the better sand-nice and powdery especially at St Pete's Beach. But, the bodysurfing is better on the Atlantic side, especially from St Augustine to Flagler Beach (my favorite and the reason why I bought in Palm Coast, instead of the Tampa area.) Daytona suffers from too many vehicles driving on the beach, so harder packed sand, but I think the water is cleaner on the Atlantic side, well, except the occasional jellyfish problem up near Jacksonville Beach.
FWIW you have the cause-and-effect backwards on the hard-packed sand and the vehicles on the beach. There's a reason a number of early auto races were on the beach...the sand is naturally quite hard-packed (and flat).
cfabar1 and steve64 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:36 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
FWIW you have the cause-and-effect backwards on the hard-packed sand and the vehicles on the beach. There's a reason a number of early auto races were on the beach...the sand is naturally quite hard-packed (and flat).
OK, and so which came first: the chicken or the egg? I don't disagree with you, nor am I stating (as I didn't) that the result of the cars is the harder packed sand, but they both work hand-in-hand. The beaches are better north of Daytona, especially St Aug and Flagler-but still fairly hard packed sand, especially compared to St Pete Beach. I go for the quality of the water and waves, more than how soft the sand is.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:52 pm

Worst Hyatt ever

Staying for one night as pass thru from Keys. Worn down room. AC was not on when we entered room. When we cut on, black stuff discharged from vent. Bathroom amenities limited. My husband has shirts bigger than the bath towels. Will not recommend to anyone.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold
I actually cancelled a stay here in August and moved down the street to the Delta (Marriott), based on the horrible reviews of this HP. The front desk agent at the Delta told me she used to work at the HP and said to never stay there. Flooding when it rains, black mold, bad management, and the list goes on. It's a shame, because I have a need to go to Daytona a few times a year and it's the only Hyatt property.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Well that is sad, use to be great when it first opened.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 6:12 am

A year after the 2022 hurricanes their website still says, "ATTENTION: At this time, the Hyatt Place Daytona Beach Ocean Front does not have exterior access to the East side of the building. This includes the following areas that are currently closed, Pool, spa, pool bar, upper terrace, ADA lift, beach access."
Old Oct 6, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yep. Stayed here in June and there is no immediate access to the beach from the hotel. That said, you can access the beach easily from the vacant lot next to the hotel, just don't expect any easy amenities such as a shower to rinse off your feet from the sand or of course drinks. It didn't even seem the hotel was working at all to fix things or restore things and probably is hoping for a buy out. Still, the stay and room were nice. The balcony over the ocean was awesome, and breakfast in the morning was good. Just don't expect a resort or typical "beach hotel" experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.