Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

New Hyatt Gold Passport Features Launching in January 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stewie Mac
FAQ

Do points+cash bookings count toward earning elite status?
Yes. This includes "Diamond Trials" (in which customers with status at another hotel chain attempt to earn a match with Hyatt).

Does the cash portion of points+cash bookings earn points?
Yes, in the same manner as for paid stays.

Do points+cash bookings count toward current Hyatt promotions?
Yes, P+C stays will be treated as paid stays for purposes of bonus promotions.

Can confirmed suite upgrade certificates be used on points+cash bookings?
Yes. Now confirmed by Gold Passport Concierge here

Will points+cash bookings be exempt from resort fees & taxes?
No. P+C bookings will require the member to pay any applicable fees/taxes, just as with paid stays.
Print Wikipost

New Hyatt Gold Passport Features Launching in January 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by musikdude
Is this scenario worth it????? Is my math right?

If wanting to renew Diamond in 2014 but not having plans for enough stays the rest of 2013, one could do the following in Jan./Feb. of 2014. (while still at diamond level status)

A current diamond could earn diamond status again by simply doing 25 one off stays at various Hyatt Places with the new C&P option.

Cost of 25 stays would be:

$1250 USD cash (25 x $50) (or only $1125 USD if paid for with new giftcards)

plus it would take 62,500 points as well (25 stays x 2500)
(but that would be offset by the diamond bonus (25 stays x 500 = 12,500)
(plus the earning of 8,125 points for the $1250 spend (6.5 x $1250)
that means a net of 41,875 points needed to do this

Grand Total would be $1125 plus almost 42k in points.

Is that worth it???

FYI - The reason would be that later in 2014, I would want to be a diamond while burning a large number of points on several different summer trips at top Hyatt properties (booking them before end of year to get current point levels).

thoughts?????
Don't forget to factor in your time. I would rather find a HP at 75-80 all in and not select the points and cash option. Not sure where your located and if you have options to find low rates at HP's. Besides the suite upgrades, that a lot of money to spend for free breakfasts. For me I think it's a stretch, now if you were closer to the 25 nights that's a different story.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:16 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Hmmm.. who am I going to believe? Blogs or company rep? I'm going to go with the Gold Passport Concierge.
Trust me the blogs are getting that info from a company rep in Gold Passport - I fully expect the info here to be updated shortly. Hard to get all info to all parties at the same instant with these things I'm sure, but pretty excited about the Diamond suite upgrades with cash and points stays myself!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So Hyatt has decided to wipe out accounts and balances going forward in a way it hasn't done before. Not a good sign for customers, even for those who have frequent account activity. At least they are giving more than 2 years advance notice before wiping out accounts, and that is a good thing.
I'm wondering about this. Does the announcement of a new 24 month expiration policy mean they are actually going to start enforcing it? Because with the current 12 month GP expiration Hyatt was always glad to reinstate expired accounts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Will the cash portion of P+C be subject to taxes? or is it more like a "co-pay" for a free night, where taxes are not charged?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:11 pm

Hyatt really did an excellent job of planning this little devaluation announcement followed by some choice nuggets to get people to forget all about the deval. Great work by the PR department.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Hmmm.. who am I going to believe? Blogs or company rep? I'm going to go with the Gold Passport Concierge.
The blogs get their information from a company rep as well. The fact that multiple ones are reporting that Diamond Suite upgrades can be used on C&P means that there's confusion somewhere.

How else do you think so many had detailed analysis within minutes of it getting posted on FT/MP?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
While these changes are welcome, I'm going to hold off judgement until I see what the C+P availability looks like (and please make this option available online as repeatedly calling in for availability will be a big hassle). Maybe it's just me but I haven't seen a lot of C+P availability after the SPG devaluation. I do think this is a step in the right direction. ^
I found plenty of SPG cash+points availability this month where SPG is asking for several thousand or more points for merely saving $10+taxes. The Hyatt offer may end up looking pretty poor too rather often.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Not to be a downer, but these new perks likely won't benefit frequent Hyatt guests

Here's my analysis:

1. Expiration of points moving from 12 months to 24 months

It's sad to say this, but a benefit designed to help the occasional guest is bad for frequent guests. It means the GP point liability to Hyatt increases (which is awful enough with the introduction of the Hyatt Card), meaning that redemption levels are GUARANTEED to rise even more in the coming years. For anyone who doesn't believe me, remember what happened to Delta.

2. Exclusive 20% Discount for Platinum and Diamond Members

This perk is perfectly designed by Hyatt to offset new benefit #1 in the eyes of frequent guests. The problem is that the Hyatt.com rate is always at least 10% lower than the Daily Rate, so just from the get-go you're only saving 10%. Yes, I realize the .com rate is pre-paid, however AAA rates are often 15-25% below the Daily Rate and require no prepayment. I do hope this becomes a real benefit, but the pessimist in me thinks hotels will simply increase their Hyatt Daily Rate another 5% or so, so the actual 'discount' from Hyatt.com rate or AAA will be negligible or non-existant. (I would also guess that many of the frequent guests have corporate rates that are 20% or less than that Daily Rate.)

3. Points + Cash

This was a no-brainer for Hyatt to add on a year they've already announced a new Category 7 & significant point increases. Hyatt is clearly hoping that customers will see this as the offset to higher award redemptions and although Points+Cash may be beneficial for some, it will likely only be available at the hotel's discretion. That's because (likely the same as SPG), this rate is something the hotels can choose to offer to boost occupancy during low-times (approx. <70% occupancy) and have it automatically disappear during busy travel periods. The hotel--not Hyatt--is likely eating the lower rate here (and it will likely end up being roughly the same revenue to them as an award booking), so don't expect it to be widely available when you need it.

Still waiting/hoping: Award stays to count toward elite qualification...

I'm shocked that Hyatt isn't addressing the elephant in the room, which is that they STILL don't count award stays toward elite qualification. To my knowledge, all other major chains now offer this and adding the benefit literally costs them nothing to add this (something they love)! After hitting us over the head with the new Cat. 7, increasing the points for most redemptions & adding additional benefits tailored more to infrequent guests, why can't they add one that would clearly help us! For those that say it would increase the ranks of Diamond members, then why not require a member have a year (or even two) of Diamond status on revenue stays only before allowing award stays to count toward elite re-qualification? I know many people said the point devaluation was the last-straw for them. For me, it's this. Why continue to stay with Hyatt if I'm unsure if I'll have 18 or 30 stays the following year, when I can stay with another chain and know I'll at least be racking up stays toward lifetime status? (And don't get me started on the requirement for Hyatt's 'lifetime' program...)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Received this email today. What caught my attention is obviously the 20% discount for Platinum and Diamond members. Question on the limited rooms available for the 20% discount and whether its eligible for use with suite upgrades using points, and Diamond Suite Upgrades?

I'm currently a AAA/CAA member, so hopefully the 20% discount is materially better than AAA/CAA.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Wow, 100 points and I'm the first one to say these new program "benefits" are darn near worthless IMO. I'm a Diamond, so obviously I don't go more than 12 months without activity... changing it to 24 months - worthless. 20% off "rack" (call it what you like, it's an expensive rate by any name compared to discount rates) rate when I can instead get a cheaper AAA or corporate rate - worthless. C&P at redemption levels that aren't great, when I would just use points (I like taking "free" vacations) - worthless (for me).

I still like Hyatt the most - but today's changes do nothing to improve my feelings after the deval (which I was going to be fine with until I saw how steep a deval for aspirational properties it was).
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I'm currently a AAA/CAA member, so hopefully the 20% discount is materially better than AAA/CAA.
I'm deeply skeptical it will be -- particularly given that properties often offer the AAA breakfast rate at the same price. (Even as a Diamond, I like booking it to have the option of a restaurant breakfast at properties with clubs.)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtremit
I'm deeply skeptical it will be -- particularly given that properties often offer the AAA breakfast rate at the same price. (Even as a Diamond, I like booking it to have the option of a restaurant breakfast at properties with clubs.)
IIRC international properties don't have aaa rates so it seems like a benefit there...
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by dtremit
Note sure how many international properties have AAA rates; haven't seen them in Japan, Korea, HK, London, Paris, or Germany.

So for much of the world, and for those of us without a corp rate, if the 20% is actually available on most dates for cancellable res, they would be quite welcome.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
IIRC international properties don't have aaa rates so it seems like a benefit there...
The majority of places I've been to seem to have Costco rates avialable, but some like the Park Hyatt Tokyo do not.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The majority of places I've been to seem to have Costco rates avialable, but some like the Park Hyatt Tokyo do not.
I've been using AARP, which at most of the properties I've used has been a 10% discount of the Daily Rate. Advance Purchase has often been 15% or very occasionally 20% at the time I was booking, but usually the rate has gone up by the time I'm confident enough to make a non-cancellable booking, so for me, 20% off on a cancellable booking would be much appreciated if it is available on most dates and well in advance when the rate are still low.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.