Wiki Posts
Search

Resort Fees on Award Stays -

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Resort Fees on Award Stays -

My question is does a resort have to disclose "resort fees" at time of booking? - specifically on award stays? If they don't disclose, can they decide after a stay has been booked, but before the stay has commenced to start charging a resort fee?

Background: Our family has a suite booked at the new Andaz Papagayo next summer. When booking over the phone, there was no mention of a resort fee at the property. I also checked on their website and did not find a mention of a fee, except when booking a dummy reservation on a paid rate (10% of the room rate) it shows up in the rate details. I made a inquiry to the property and they said that they "We're waiting to hear back about whether or not the resort fee will be included." [on nights booked with points].

When looking at Hyatt's website again, on the bottom of all reservation pages, it says "Additional taxes and charges, including resort fees at some properties, may apply and will be disclosed prior to booking."

Do you think that we have a basis for fighting this if they later decide to start charging it on stays booked with points?

Also, if the resort fee is 10% of the room rate, what could a resort fee be on a stay booked on points? - do other properties follow a similar structure? All the properties I have stayed at just use a flat fee

If this belongs in the Andaz Papagayo thread - mods please move it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano

Do you think that we have a basis for fighting this if they later decide to start charging it on stays booked with points?
In my opinion yes you should not be charged for something that did not exist when you booked your reservations. To me its akin to baggage fees on airlines. When they first implemented that fee they didn't retroactively charge people who booked a flight before the fee was instituted. I think the same should apply here.

Note - I have no clue what Hyatt's position is here - you may want to PM their account here to get clarification.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
When looking at Hyatt's website again, on the bottom of all reservation pages, it says "Additional taxes and charges, including resort fees at some properties, may apply and will be disclosed prior to booking."

The statement on the website is clear: disclosed prior to booking - and they weren't disclosed to you. I think you have a valid argument against paying them.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Most hotels I've stayed at did not charge the resort fee for award stays, however, it is up to each individual property. Some discount the fee.

Have you tried to book an award online to see if a resort fee is shown? I've always seen it listed at the top of the rate page if it applies.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Plat, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I would make a screenshot / printout of this webpage and refuse to pay any resort fees. The message is very clear.

I would NOT contact them again to clarify the question because then they could tell you about the fee and then offer you a free cancellation. I assume that this is not what you want.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:55 am
Suspended

I thought the policy always used to be no resort fees on any award stays (this included point stays, FFN, and Chase card free nights). Has this changed?

Where there was inconsistency between individual properties was for Diamonds -- some waived a portion of the resort fee, some waived all of it, some did nothing, and some waive part/all of it only if you ask.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by oc2005
I thought the policy always used to be no resort fees on any award stays (this included point stays, FFN, and Chase card free nights). Has this changed?

Where there was inconsistency between individual properties was for Diamonds -- some waived a portion of the resort fee, some waived all of it, some did nothing, and some waive part/all of it only if you ask.
Correct, resort fees are waived on all award stays according to Hyatt T&Cs.

The inconsistency is the treatment of Diamonds on revenue stays - some properties waive it completely, some discount it, some charge full amount.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a solution looking for a problem. Nobody has assessed OP nothin. He's called. An employee doesn't know the answer, will find out the answer: presumably correct and the issue will never arise.

If it does, OP can assess the facts at that time. But, he should sit back and look forward to his vacation.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 8:34 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a solution looking for a problem. Nobody has assessed OP nothin. He's called. An employee doesn't know the answer, will find out the answer: presumably correct and the issue will never arise.

If it does, OP can assess the facts at that time. But, he should sit back and look forward to his vacation.
Agreed, the OP will not likely be charged. Even if he/she is, I'm sure Hyatt CS will adjust it. The property isn't even open yet so the employee hasn't been trained. And 10% of $0 is $0 anyways.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Often1
This is a solution looking for a problem. Nobody has assessed OP nothin. .
True, but the wording on the Papagayo website re: resort fees is surprisingly vague: add'l fees "may apply" This is markedly different than the definitive statement one usually reads, such as the Kauai property: A daily Resort Fee of $25 plus tax will be added to your rate daily."
Old Sep 20, 2013, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bdemaria
True, but the wording on the Papagayo website re: resort fees is surprisingly vague: add'l fees "may apply" This is markedly different than the definitive statement one usually reads, such as the Kauai property: A daily Resort Fee of $25 plus tax will be added to your rate daily."
Perhaps so. So, you call, you ask, they don't know, they tell you they will research and they will.

The property will figure out the answer, tell OP and all will be well in the world.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by peteropny
Correct, resort fees are waived on all award stays according to Hyatt T&Cs.

The inconsistency is the treatment of Diamonds on revenue stays - some properties waive it completely, some discount it, some charge full amount.
I reviewed the T&Cs but could not locate anything on resort fees. Where in the Hyatt T&Cs does it state resort fees are waived on all award stays?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello FTers!

It has been confirmed. When using free night awards or points the resort fee is not charged. This is for all Hyatt hotels with resort fees. So if you encounter a hotel attempting to charge your for this please either let us know or call Gold Passport and let them know.

-Chrissi R.
This has been posted a number of times related to resort fees on award nights.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US Airways, Delta, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott
What about points plus cash reservations? Are resort fees charged for these?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globlist,MarriottPlat,Hilton Gold,Delta Silver,National EE,Avis President Club, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rocksurf
What about points plus cash reservations? Are resort fees charged for these?

You have to pay taxes on cash part. I believe resort fees would be charged also.

I found it better to use points for a lot of Caribbean resorts were taxes and fees can be over 25% per day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.