Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by hqly2001
I have a life vest for her for when we go fishing on a boat, I'm assuming a PFD works just fine right? I might need to find myself a floataion device as well just to be safe with her being out there with me. So i guess i should rent from Bob instead of the hotel?
Like I said before, the hotel has flotation devices if you need them.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by salvag
Just wanted to share my review of The Andaz. I will start off by saying that this is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. I really cannot imagine there being a better hotel on Maui, or possibly all of Hawaii. Pictures do not do this gorgeous property justice.
I guess we have different standards as that's far from the truth.... I can think of at least 10 better Hawaiian properties that are at similar or lesser price points.

The physical property is great but this rooms are poorly designed from a guest perspective. The rooms lack storage space, 2 of us with 2 weeks worth of clothes don't have nearly enough space. There bathroom (especially the suite one) is so spartanly laid out and the space isn't well used.

Example here, the TV in living room and bedroom are on the wall opposite the beach. As a result if you want to use the loveseat, you view the TV wall / inside of the property versus the ocean.

The chairs on the lanai are uncomfortable and un-padded... the purpose of the lanai is to sit on and enjoy the tranquility. Hard to do so if your ... is sore.

Finally, the lanai walls. Ugh. Dislike in every possible aspect. The view from the pool into the lanai is great... if you are a voyeur. Absolutely 0 privacy on your lanai and that's not a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, a nice property but VERY far form any of the nicest in Hawaii. Heck, the Sheraton Maui is a nicer property if you are in a premium room and much, much more private.

Please DO take into account that the base rate on these rooms is $400+ per night... for $400+ a private lanai is a must.

Originally Posted by betterbydesign

The snack/beverage fridge was nicely filled, and thankfully I love Kind Bars Not quite the variety I've enjoyed at say, the NYC Andaz'. WiFi was plenty quick. We also heavily utilized the water bottles during the trip - great touch.

The sandals we were more ambivalent on, but loved the beach bag they came in.

Also - during check-in, they of course asked what Diamond amenity I would like - we were offered an in-room Mai Tai cart service as our food/beverage option, which we happily chose. Upon our call, they sent up a lovely woman and very cool portable bar cart to make us fresh Mai Tai's from scratch (squeezing, zesting, etc). Very tasty, very cool experience - definitely the most interesting & memorable Diamond Amenity I've ever had, and set a great tone for the stay.
These all appear to NO LONGER offered.

Minibar has 2 Kind Bar's + 1 Pop Chips. 1 Tonic Water, 1 Ginger Ale & 1 Juice.

No beach bag... or flip flops.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos

These all appear to NO LONGER offered.

Minibar has 2 Kind Bar's + 1 Pop Chips. 1 Tonic Water, 1 Ginger Ale & 1 Juice.

No beach bag... or flip flops.
Just got back from there yesterday and we got the beach bag, flip flops and water bottles. They drop them off at the same time they drop off your luggage after checking in. I agree that the minibar was unimpressive for the free stuff.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by pilotjustin
Just got back from there yesterday and we got the beach bag, flip flops and water bottles. They drop them off at the same time they drop off your luggage after checking in. I agree that the minibar was unimpressive for the free stuff.
Apparently they "forgot" this and (thanks to this thread) I mentioned it and they were received).

Property has quite a few "missing touches" for a $400+/night resort (rate up to $600/night on last 2 nights). The multiple mentions at check in of "we've upgraded you" when they hadn't irks me as well (it was like they were doing me a favor).

ok I may also be annoyed at the moment that the palm tree blocks my entire sunset view from the lanai... if I was on 4 or above no issue :/

Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:48 am

I saw where the room couches aren't real comfortable for napping but in the suites do they have a pullout mattress? On a comfort level how are they?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok knock off the arguments - each stay is a unique set of circumstances and each poster is entitled to their opinion in their review. Whether or not you agree with their perception does not really affect their perspective.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by nic3456
I saw where the room couches aren't real comfortable for napping but in the suites do they have a pullout mattress? On a comfort level how are they?
No pullout mattresses but you can order a rollaway.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
ok I may also be annoyed at the moment that the palm tree blocks my entire sunset view from the lanai... if I was on 4 or above no issue :/
Were you in a 31 or 33 room? Just checked in tonight, hotel has been great thus far. Given the high season, and these were award bookings, they gave me all 3 of what I asked for - ocean view, high floor, and connecting rooms. Very pleased thus far. I will say that 2 floors up, that palm tree is still kinda in the way

Last edited by peteropny; Dec 21, 2013 at 8:32 am Reason: Remove quoted pic
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Were you in a 31 or 33 room? Just checked in tonight, hotel has been great thus far. Given the high season, and these were award bookings, they gave me all 3 of what I asked for - ocean view, high floor, and connecting rooms. Very pleased thus far. I will say that 2 floors up, that palm tree is still kinda in the way
I'm in an Partial Ocean View Suite on a paid room rate using diamond suite upgrade. And the paid rate is in the high 3s for 4 nights then ~ $600 last 2.

Gut says those on points booking are the ones happier than those paying $$$
Old Dec 21, 2013, 8:01 pm

Sorry for the consecutive posts... every day I learn more things the property offers...

Last night, learned they have a courtesy car
2 nights ago learned about the water bottles and beach bag / flip flops.

I really wish they had some mention of the in house offerings in writing so you don't feel like you've missed out because your host or bellman neglected to mention or provide offerings.

Last edited by Vuelos; Dec 21, 2013 at 8:58 pm Reason: Misunderstanding
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond, *wood Plat, National EE
Sorry for the consecutive posts... every day I learn more things the property offers...

Last night, learned they have a courtesy car
2 nights ago learned about the water bottles and beach bag / flip flops.

I really wish they had some mention of the in house offerings in writing so you don't feel like you've missed out because your host or bellman neglected to mention or provide offerings.
IIRC - all of what you mentioned above has been posted here previously. I do agree though. It would be nice if all hotels were proactive in informing guests about these types of things.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Nice courtesy car too, Lincoln Navigator from what I saw last night. Also there's self service laundry with free soap/etc too. Sad to be moving to the HR tonight.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Free Breakfast

Hey all- so I just returned from a 4 night stay (took advantage of the book 4 nights, and get 2 of those nights for free + $75 resort credit). Went the week before the holiday madness began and got a great rate of about $350/night- so around $700 for 4 nights. I was able to apply a Diamond suite upgrade to the stay and got the andaz suite with partial ocean view...it was, in my opinion, a fabulous room with a fabulous view.
One thing to note is that I am not currently Diamond, I'm just Plat but had banked 4 Diamond suite upgrades earlier this year when I signed up for the Diamond status match challenge...however, at check in they promptly informed me that I was confirmed for my Diamond suite upgrade AND that I would receive the free breakfast benefit (which btwn me and my SO came to $100/ day, as we opted for the fantastic buffet each morning which was $45 per person). Sure enough at check out they wiped my bill clean of every single breakfast charge, which totaled over $400 with tip...was this a fluke or does everyone using a diamond suite upgrade (who are no longer diamond) get this benefit?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Etcd21
...was this a fluke or does everyone using a diamond suite upgrade (who are no longer diamond) get this benefit?
You got lucky.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:33 pm

So after reading several reviews - it sounds like most of the suites are just 2 regular rooms combined with bad views? It appears I would be better suited just reserving a regular room and get a good view? (I'm using points so I could use one of my Chase Hyatt free nights instead of all points.) If I book 2 rooms through my account would everyone in both rooms get free breakfast (if I'm diamond)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.