Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Major changes to Hyatt stay certificate participating property list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major changes to Hyatt stay certificate participating property list?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
It would if they would count for stay credit.... which they don't!
Ok.. I just don't see the point of these certificates, unless just staying at Hyatt as one-offs and wanting to save $$$. I can't see someone with status using it, unless they've already qualified for the following year, and just care about the coin.

I guess I'm willing to pay a little more to get a lot more value in terms of service, benefits and upgrades.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok.. I just don't see the point of these certificates, unless just staying at Hyatt as one-offs and wanting to save $$$. I can't see someone with status using it, unless they've already qualified for the following year, and just care about the coin.

I guess I'm willing to pay a little more to get a lot more value in terms of service, benefits and upgrades.
The point of these certificates was never about buying them for oneself. The point of these certificates was as presents for other people.

However, some people realized that there were circumstances where the certs could be arbitraged at certain times and places to allow one to stay for much less than they could via other avenues. Diamonds still received the vast majority of their benefits even when using them.

That loophole has now been more or less closed, so there is no longer any point in buying them for one's own personal use.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The point of these certificates was never about buying them for oneself. The point of these certificates was as presents for other people.

However, some people realized that there were circumstances where the certs could be arbitraged at certain times and places to allow one to stay for much less than they could via other avenues. Diamonds still received the vast majority of their benefits even when using them.

That loophole has now been more or less closed, so there is no longer any point in buying them for one's own personal use.
Diamonds no longer get the benies from using these?
I believe the Hyatt Arlington is a bit cheaper through certificates so I was thinking about using them, but it would make sense to pay the extra $20-50 to get club access/bfast, etc.

My real question is whether they are only available to use on regular rooms, or if they can be used for, say "Business King", if no standard rooms are available...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by healthnut
Nothing has changed in that regard.

What I meant to say was that, even though stay cert stays weren't eligible for some benefits like the use of suite upgrade certs, most of the Diamond benefits still apply.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by healthnut
I believe the Hyatt Arlington is a bit cheaper through certificates so I was thinking about using them, but it would make sense to pay the extra $20-50 to get club access/bfast, etc.

My real question is whether they are only available to use on regular rooms, or if they can be used for, say "Business King", if no standard rooms are available...
All diamond benefits, including upgrades, are available when using the certificates.

Before they changed the program, I used them extensively to requalify, but alas, that is no longer possible since they don't get stay credit.

They used to be a very good deal for some properties, particularly since they included taxes.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mary2e
All diamond benefits, including upgrades, are available when using the certificates.
Room upgrades, yes. But you cannot use a Diamond suite upgrade certificate on a stay cert reservation.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I haven't used a stay certificate in years - before we had suite upgrade certificates - but room upgrades are applicable. I know I got those.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:15 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I haven't used a stay certificate in years - before we had suite upgrade certificates - but room upgrades are applicable. I know I got those.
They have been very good in certain circumstances. I used to use them for my partners annual conference - the cert rate saved us about $100 a night (conference is usually 5 nights). Getting all the Diamond perks (except for the suite upgrades Certs) made the usage a no brainer - saving $500 and forgoing 1 stay credit which can be easily made up late in the year if needed for $100.

I haven't used one recently though.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny
They have been very good in certain circumstances. I used to use them for my partners annual conference - the cert rate saved us about $100 a night (conference is usually 5 nights). Getting all the Diamond perks (except for the suite upgrades Certs) made the usage a no brainer - saving $500 and forgoing 1 stay credit which can be easily made up late in the year if needed for $100.

I haven't used one recently though.
For the one off stay, to save $$$, it makes sense.

I get the feeling though, its not possible to build ongoing loyalty to these certificates, if trying to qualify for status within the GP program. Sounds like mutually exclusive markets with a small degree of overlap. At some point the GP elite member has to pay the qualifying rates to qualify for status.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:53 pm

I used them at a few properties over the years if the savings were significant. There's one resort in Florida where I DID use a certificate at the past three years in a row, because it saved me almost $150 per night, and since we always stayed multiple nights, it was well worth it.

Plus, I was lucky enough that they always upgraded us to a one-bedroom suite, waived resort fees, and even gave me credit for the stay and points...which apparently normally doesn't happen. Unfortunately, the recent changes have made it no longer worth it to use the certificates at that particular property.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carnalismocc
I used them at a few properties over the years if the savings were significant. There's one resort in Florida where I DID use a certificate at the past three years in a row, because it saved me almost $150 per night, and since we always stayed multiple nights, it was well worth it.

Plus, I was lucky enough that they always upgraded us to a one-bedroom suite, waived resort fees, and even gave me credit for the stay and points...which apparently normally doesn't happen. Unfortunately, the recent changes have made it no longer worth it to use the certificates at that particular property.
Which property in Florida? Sounds like great service extended.. Is the resort fee normally waived there?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Which property in Florida? Sounds like great service extended.. Is the resort fee normally waived there?
The Hyatt in Clearwater Beach...great property where my family and I have always received outstanding service. Not sure if they're still waiving the resort fees on diamond members or not, I've heard both yes and no from previous guests.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carnalismocc
The Hyatt in Clearwater Beach...great property where my family and I have always received outstanding service. Not sure if they're still waiving the resort fees on diamond members or not, I've heard both yes and no from previous guests.
I thought it maybe Clearwater Beach.. we did have it booked for the Christmas Break, but then Cypress opened up with suites, and we decided to go to Disney for Christmas.

I really wanted to try the hotel out, but Coconut Point has a lounge, and their rates were super low for the dates we booked, before heading to Orlando.

Alas, will have to try Clearwater and the other Florida hotels on another trip down the road.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I was told by Hyatt customer service 2 months ago that they were upgrading people certificates. I have called three times and its always a run around. Anyone get upgraded or a refund?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
What are "people certificates"??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.