Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Major changes to Hyatt stay certificate participating property list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major changes to Hyatt stay certificate participating property list?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by FD1971
The expected award category change late 2013/early 2014 will not help either.
Is this a widely held opinion? Any source?

How long advance notice has GP given in the past?

I had 500,000 Hilton points that were very suddenly reduced in value by half last year. Hope Hyatt's not going to do it to me this year.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Devaluations tend to snowball. I sort of expected this to be the next step after the new cert categories were launched.

Does the Hyatt Stay Certificate even come under GoldPassport in the Hyatt corp structure? If not, I wouldn't make much of this being a sign of anything to do with GoldPassport. Corporate incentives programs -- and that was the likely intention of this stay certificate program -- of this sort or related ones are usually rather distinct from loyalty program operations even as both tend to often fall under the sales/marketing management.

Any way, these no-advance-notice changes have pretty much gutted a lot of the value that used to be had by the small segment of customers who even knew about these things and then cared to use them.
The certs don't fall under GoldPassport management, according to gleff on his blog.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
Hyatt has been able to set themselves apart from most of the competition, mainly due to good promos and outstanding customer service. All those points eroded massively over the last years resulting in the fact that there is hardly any Goodwill left among formerly pretty loyal GPP card holders.

Therefore, it is not surprising that many folks jumped ship. The current change will have a certain effect on Hyatt customers Europe and Asia and quite frankly I see the loss of pretty good customers in those markets as a result.

The question is in how far a chain with such a small footprint can survive without a loyalty scheme that is able to differentiate themselves from the more powerful competition.

The expected award category change late 2013/early 2014 will not help either.
Agree that there has been a dumbing down to nearest common denominator so that statuses can be fast tracked. Fast tracking seems to be the name of the game amongst competitors, with consumers willing to switch at a drop of a dime.

What the major chains fail to realize is the erosion of good loyal customers, that has no choice but to go elsewhere and fast track everywhere. Its important to retain customers by providing good value. I hope Hyatt will continue to provide good enough value, where it differentiates from competitors.

Yes, why not provide heads up? Seems class act if some notice is given. Sometimes behind the scenes, execs are under pressure to go the undiplomatic route whatever the reason. With Fairmont, its because of a huge liability of free nights earned.. Just wipe it out, and wipe off the liability off the books. At least Fairmont made exceptions to Platinum status to their loyal customers in the following years, without actually having to qualify 10 stays 30 nights. Those exceptions won me as a continued customer after the unannounced 'enhancements', I eventually recovered the lost free nights that were lost to enhancements through the comp statuses.. Not to mention the attached benefits to status accompanied. Would have lost me as a Platinum Member 7 years ago, instead I increased my stay rate. Things have changed again, so I'm going to where the market forces lead.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by OsakaWino

A few words by Jeff Zidell could kill all those rumours almost instantly.

Quick post on FT that there are no plans to increase the number of points or introduce a new category for extremely expensive properties would help a lot.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OsakaWino

I had 500,000 Hilton points that were very suddenly reduced in value by half last year. Hope Hyatt's not going to do it to me this year.
I'd expect that we'd be given advance notice of at least a couple of weeks or months before the devaluation's announced implementation date.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
why.......Hyatt just changed the vouchers with absolutely no notice.......

I'd expect that we'd be given advance notice of at least a couple of weeks or months before the devaluation's announced implementation date.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:12 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
why.......Hyatt just changed the vouchers with absolutely no notice.......
Because these vouchers are nothing to do with HGP.

And HGP gave us 6 week's notice of the last devaluation (advised end April, eff early June 10)
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Was it a devaluation - or was it just adjusting to the higher rates that those properties are charging?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:45 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by 4aks
Was it a devaluation - or was it just adjusting to the higher rates that those properties are charging?
That was creating category 6 (highest award category 22,000 points per night - cat 5 is/was 18,000 points per night). They've also given advance notice of category changes for some properties.

I would expect advance notice of future changes especially if a new category is involved. In 2010, Rene called me before the announcement was made.

As stated, I don't think the stay Certs are under Gold Passport.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by peteropny
I don't think the stay Certs are under Gold Passport.
I'm not so sure about that. In order to change or cancel a reservation made using Stay Certificates you MUST call Gold Passport.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 4aks
It was in the main a devaluation of points in customer accounts.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelStar
I'm not so sure about that. In order to change or cancel a reservation made using Stay Certificates you MUST call Gold Passport.
The certificates direct calls to 800.555.0233 or "the nearest World Reservation Centre." They do not reference Gold Passport for reservations.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
thats a reference to MAKING the resee, not CXLing them which requires GP intervention.............

Originally Posted by sensei
The certificates direct calls to 800.555.0233 or "the nearest World Reservation Centre." They do not reference Gold Passport for reservations.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Here is a good quote from View from the Wing that describes the program in more detail:

"Hyatt’s gift cards and gift certificates are wholly separate from Hyatt Gold Passport. The certificate program got a new leader within the last year, and a charge to figure out how to make the program more successful. Hyatt says that means focusing on availability of hotels when users want to redeem, and focusing on the corporate market." There is also a reference that 80% of sales are corporate volume sales.

You can read more at:
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...asnt-personal/
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sensei
Here is a good quote from View from the Wing that describes the program in more detail:

"Hyatt’s gift cards and gift certificates are wholly separate from Hyatt Gold Passport. The certificate program got a new leader within the last year, and a charge to figure out how to make the program more successful. Hyatt says that means focusing on availability of hotels when users want to redeem, and focusing on the corporate market." There is also a reference that 80% of sales are corporate volume sales.

You can read more at:
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...asnt-personal/
Good point.. just that no announcement of the devaluation leaves a negative taste in the mouth of consumers. Hyatt should have a policy across the board to provide consistent customer service.

Consumers don't understand devaluations unannounced is coming from a different department. The practice is reflective on Hyatt as a whole.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.