Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Thank you. ^^

Frankly, given that valet isn't that much more. If it's not much of a walk, we may just use it.
Well then you have to walk from the front (where the valet drops) to the back tower. Might as well drive to the back and go up the elevator in the back.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Just to make sure I've covered all my bases ... I'll be in Maui soon...
I'm on P&C + a DSU confirmed in a Lahaina Ocean Suite
I stayed at the property last fall for 5 nights by myself for a conference. I was able to apply a DSU to my reservation. I ended up cancelling the DSU when I learned that the Regency Club was in the Atrium tower and the (DSUable) suites are all in the other 2 towers; proximity to the club was more important than a suite for that stay. I requested an ocean view room on the same floor as the club, which was granted. No complaints at all, in fact it was a delightful stay. Very large room, great views of the pool area and ocean, club was more than adequate for breakfast and dinner as well as daytime snacks/soft drinks/coffee. I did have a 7 minute elevator ride/walk to the conference area, in the base of the Lahaina tower. It’s a large spread-out hotel, depending on your priorities, you may wish to consider doing the same thing. They were renovating a very large corner suite adjacent to my room but I’m not certain that would be a DSUable suite.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
There are plans to move the Club to the lobby level. It is going to be located where the shop "Maui Hands" and an Asian Travel Service now occupy space. It will have an outdoor area which is currently behind the Maui Hands store. There is no set timetable for this move- I was told maybe a year.
I thoroughly enjoyed the club being on a high floor, breakfast each morning on a small outdoor balcony with incredible views. Can’t get that with a ground floor club.

The "regular" self parking lot is quite a trek from the main entrance and especially from the Lahaina wing.
The main/Atrium tower is the closest tower to the main entrance.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thanks! Quite honesty, I'm using a DSU because some years I have the expire without using them

But I will contact the VIP manager and ask for a suite closer to the club. It's been years, and I can't even remember where our previous rooms were located - perhaps they were in the atrium, because the club wasn't that far away.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Thanks! Quite honesty, I'm using a DSU because some years I have the expire without using them
Funny, I've been Diamond for like a dozen consecutive years and I haven't used one (had them all expire) for like the last five years. ...just an issue with the properties I have to stay at lately.

With regard to this property, I also use 100% point stays, but even if not I also favor being in the main tower, and closest to the Club, vs. in a suite.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:47 am

hmmmm... I'm on P&C.

I've had trouble using them as well. Tried earlier this month at Chesapeake and they were all sold out. I'm going to end the year with 2 extras.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Be aware that the Ocean Suites in the Lahaina wing don't have the most desirable view. They are located only on one side of the building, the bottom of which is a huge roof of the meeting facilities. I have not stayed in one of these but just from looking at them from the outside it would seem these would have a more limited ocean view. Other comments on FlyerTalk have indicated that some in the Napili wing face the Hyatt timeshare next door. I have never heard of any suites in the Atrium building.

We have stayed in a Deluxe Ocean Suite (paying a hefty surcharge) and they are all in the Lahaina wing but directly face both the ocean and the lake.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Be aware that the Ocean Suites in the Lahaina wing don't have the most desirable view. They are located only on one side of the building, the bottom of which is a huge roof of the meeting facilities. I have not stayed in one of these but just from looking at them from the outside it would seem these would have a more limited ocean view. Other comments on FlyerTalk have indicated that some in the Napili wing face the Hyatt timeshare next door. I have never heard of any suites in the Atrium building.

We have stayed in a Deluxe Ocean Suite (paying a hefty surcharge) and they are all in the Lahaina wing but directly face both the ocean and the lake.
While the Deluxe Ocean Suites in the Lahaina tower of course have a better view (plus much more space, a bigger living room, a full dining table, and an extra lanai), the standard Suites in the Lahaina tower have excellent views too, especially from the higher floors. The view from the bedroom of the standards suites are almost identical to the view from the dining table area of the Deluxe Ocean Suites, and it is an incredible view -- almost like you're on a cruise ship at sea.

The view from the living room/lanai of the standard suites is more a mountain/luau view, you will probably get a glimpse of the ocean (at least out on the lanai), and it is still beautiful, just in a different way. We actually like the luau view part of it -- it just adds to the Hawaiian flavor for us with the music and all; and we actually missed that part of it our last stay when we had a Deluxe Ocean Suite. But it does go on for several hours most nights, so not everyone will like that aspect.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thanks! Quite honesty, I'm using a DSU because some years I have the expire without using them ...
I’ve had DSUs expire without being used many times. There’s a lot more to a hotel stay than just the size of the room. Just because it’s a complimentary elite benefit doesn’t mean it has to be used. Obviously there are different priorities for a solo traveler versus a couple versus a group or a family.

The Atrium Tower room I stayed in last fall was enormous: king size bed with lots of space on either side, sofa, large table/desk, dressing area with large closet and bathroom, large lanai. It’s easily the size of studios/suites at many other hotels. It was clean, perhaps recently renovated. Most importantly from my point of view, it was a 1 minute walk, without elevator, to the Regency Club. I walked back and forth to my conference once per day, the club several times (breakfast, afternoon snack after conference, evening refreshments (dinner in my case), dessert. I’m most definitely not a foodie, I don’t recall paying for any food other than an ice cream during my 6 day 5 night stay. One of the club hostesses was incredibly gracious and gave me a box of Hawaiian chocolates and a couple of other snacks (none of which I had seen during my stay) when mentioned I was headed to the airport for my redeye flight.

Don’t sweat the DSU too much. If yours expire you can join our “I Didn’t Use All My Elite Perks” support group .
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:09 am

My stay was a little over a week ago and for 5 nights.

After communicating with the VIP manager and indicating we would like a room with a nice view, we arrived to find ourselves assigned to an "upgraded" deluxe suite in the Napili Tower, on the second floor, and facing the timeshare and its pool. I could have jumped in. The bedroom had a lovely view, but it also had a Juliet (no sitting) balcony making it useless. I do not go to hawaii to stare at another hotel from my lanai.

I called the front desk and magically, the same suite in the same tower but the opposite corner on the 4th floor appeared and we moved. Both suites were so-so and not that large. The bathrooms were enormous. We did like that it was a true suite with a separate bedroom with a door.

The hotel, while full, did not seem to be sold out. We were visiting with friends who stayed somewhere else, so our time at the hotel was limited. We did invite them to join us at the pool only to find that they had no towels. Yes, they were out of towels around 11am. We were told we could use the timeshare pool, and they had plenty of towels. Argh...

The property appears to be in good condition, as were the rooms. We used valet parking, since it was only $4 more than self parking. We only used the club in the morning, and the offerings were of the usual options, but it seemed there were fewer of them. We did not even walk into the club for hors douvres so I can't comment.

We used points & cash and a DSU. I was extremely disappointed with the original suite we were given, particularly since I had communicated with the VIP manager and she knew we were repeat visitors, albeit, not in many years. I fully blame the lack of a decent suite to the redemption situations going on with P&C and the diamond challenges and trials. These properties are under siege from all these redemptions (see Andaz Maui), and I really don't blame them one bit for what they're doing. However, if you're a long time diamond and repeat guest at this property, don't expect much. Seems they can't tell the difference between those who use Hyatt as a first choice and those using it to get that once-in-a-lifetime free vacation. I do plan on indicating that to the VIP manager and her boss (who sent me a welcome email).

Will we go back? Not unless we have to. We have family on the island, and our friends invited us to join them. That, and my husband was badly effected by the burning cane and was starting to have trouble breathing after 4 days. Good thing we left on the 5th day. Note that the hotel is not the reason we would not go back. Maui isn't our favorite island and we found it boring after a few days. So did our 1st timer friends. We prefer Kauai or the BI over Maui. If we visit family, we'll either stay with them or stay at the hotel near the airport, which is closer to their home.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
it's actually a better pool!

[QUOTE=Mary2e;25548165]My stay was a little over a week ago and for 5 nights.

The hotel, while full, did not seem to be sold out. We were visiting with friends who stayed somewhere else, so our time at the hotel was limited. We did invite them to join us at the pool only to find that they had no towels. Yes, they were out of towels around 11am. We were told we could use the timeshare pool, and they had plenty of towels. Argh...

Did you try the 'timeshare' pool? The adult infinity pool there is much nicer than the Regency pool which is over chlorinated in my opinion.

I've never used a DSU here because as others have said the full ocean view rooms on the club floor are large.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:16 pm

Honestly, this tendency to pin the failure of various Hyatts to honor their HGP obligations on customers legitimately using the benefits and incentives offered by Hyatt itself is very unfair and shortsighted. It really smacks of blame the victim. These hotels are undermining the entire HGP program which, until now, has been a favorite of frequent travelers, both business and leisure.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by catsassy
Did you try the 'timeshare' pool? The adult infinity pool there is much nicer than the Regency pool which is over chlorinated in my opinion.

I've never used a DSU here because as others have said the full ocean view rooms on the club floor are large.
We did use the timeshare pool and enjoyed it. However, it was almost beyond belief the hotel was out of pool towels and didn't know when the delivery would come in.

Even after being told that the regular rooms were nicer, and we've been in them before, but forgot, we used the DSU because we like a separate bedroom when on vacation.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Honestly, this tendency to pin the failure of various Hyatts to honor their HGP obligations on customers legitimately using the benefits and incentives offered by Hyatt itself is very unfair and shortsighted. It really smacks of blame the victim. These hotels are undermining the entire HGP program which, until now, has been a favorite of frequent travelers, both business and leisure.
I agree. But by the same token, these same hotels are being told to keep their average room rate/spend up so they're caught between corporate and HGP. What are they supposed do when they are under constant pressure from people taking every possible advantage of the program? It never was this way before, and yes, these hotels were favorites.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt, United, Marriott
FYI: Valet parking is now $28. I think self parking is $18, but we haven't checked out yet.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:51 pm

it was almost beyond belief the hotel was out of pool towels and didn't know when the delivery would come in.
This is when I would have asked for them to go get some room towels. I check for towels when I get to the pool. If I don't have one within one hour, I'm not very friendly the second time I ask. I would be shocked if they don't launder their own pool towels.

This hotel has had bad management for years. They just don't care about their guests if it’s going to cost them an extra dime. They know they will have no problem filling beds with honeymooners and anniversaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.