Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric The Pike (AVIA) Long Beach REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite

Does anybody have any experience with this property? I know it's new to Hyatt so looking for some feedback. I have a 1 night stay coming up in LA and thought about giving it a try as my usual places are sold out that evening. The price is not too bad at $143/night.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:57 am

Go for it -- I just stayed there Monday night. Although my view was that of a parking garage, the hotel and room were very modern, clean, and sleek. Reminded me of a slightly lower-end Andaz property. Defiantly a better option until Regency Long Beach remodels. They recognized my Diamond status - breakfast can be room service or in the restaurant.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by nutz123
They recognized my Diamond status - breakfast can be room service or in the restaurant.
You just sold me on this property. Breakfast in the room, and the fact the rate for my stay just dropped to $107 AAA rate!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:19 pm

I wanted to add a review after my one night stay here last week:

I had a great stay here. It was my first Avia experience and I really liked it. It was kind of like an Andaz, just a little less so than an actual Andaz (if that makes any sense). The lobby is nice and modern looking and the staff very friendly. I got upgraded to a 'master suite' which was a long room with a large rotating flat screen TV dividing the sleeping area and the living room area, which had a couch, chair, coffee table and lamps. Nothing looked old, but there was a a very little bit of wear and scratches on the wood furniture. On the side of the room was an area that had a long desk and a minibar. None of the food/drinks were free like at an Andaz, but I wouldn't expect that anyway. There is a shelf in the minibar for personal items that you bring. The bathroom was modern and had a really nice big tile shower stall with a dual head shower. The king bed was very comfortable. The lighting in the room was good. The only bad part of the room was the view of the parking structure across the street. It was close enough to hit with a stone and it was all I could see out my window.

One of the highlights of the stay was the room service breakfast that was included as my diamond breakfast. It wasn't mentioned to me at checkin, but I asked since I had read it here and was told yes, that I could order room service and up to $24.55 would be taken off the bill. (this would include the service charge and taxes, so you really get about $18-19 in menu items, but I went over by a few dollars and it too was removed from my bill at checkout) I was only registered for 1, so I assume if you book for 2 you would get $49.10 in breakfast credit.

The final thing I'll note was the good deal on parking. The website lists it at $17/day, but the hotel actually charges only $7/day which is much less than any other parking in the area ^. I asked the desk clerk about the discrepancy between the website and actual charge and was told that 'Hyatt was still in the process of taking over and was making the hotel raise the parking rate...that they had raised the rate on their website, but hadn't made the hotel implement the new price yet'. This may have only been the desk clerk's opinion, but if true I say to Hyatt for already chipping away at this hotel's good points.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by srodr
I wanted to add a review after my one night stay here last week:

I had a great stay here. It was my first Avia experience and I really liked it. It was kind of like an Andaz, just a little less so than an actual Andaz (if that makes any sense). The lobby is nice and modern looking and the staff very friendly. I got upgraded to a 'master suite' which was a long room with a large rotating flat screen TV dividing the sleeping area and the living room area, which had a couch, chair, coffee table and lamps. Nothing looked old, but there was a a very little bit of wear and scratches on the wood furniture. On the side of the room was an area that had a long desk and a minibar. None of the food/drinks were free like at an Andaz, but I wouldn't expect that anyway. There is a shelf in the minibar for personal items that you bring. The bathroom was modern and had a really nice big tile shower stall with a dual head shower. The king bed was very comfortable. The lighting in the room was good. The only bad part of the room was the view of the parking structure across the street. It was close enough to hit with a stone and it was all I could see out my window.

One of the highlights of the stay was the room service breakfast that was included as my diamond breakfast. It wasn't mentioned to me at checkin, but I asked since I had read it here and was told yes, that I could order room service and up to $24.55 would be taken off the bill. (this would include the service charge and taxes, so you really get about $18-19 in menu items, but I went over by a few dollars and it too was removed from my bill at checkout) I was only registered for 1, so I assume if you book for 2 you would get $49.10 in breakfast credit.

The final thing I'll note was the good deal on parking. The website lists it at $17/day, but the hotel actually charges only $7/day which is much less than any other parking in the area ^. I asked the desk clerk about the discrepancy between the website and actual charge and was told that 'Hyatt was still in the process of taking over and was making the hotel raise the parking rate...that they had raised the rate on their website, but hadn't made the hotel implement the new price yet'. This may have only been the desk clerk's opinion, but if true I say to Hyatt for already chipping away at this hotel's good points.
I stayed here last night and would agreed 100% with your post. It was almost like a cross between a W and an Andaz (decor was more like a W but better lighting in the room). Reminded me a bit also of the Olive8 Hyatt in Seattle.

Was also upgraded to a master suite as a Diamond and the room was very nice, although not huge (more like a junior suite and probably about 500 sq ft or so).

Dinner room service and breakfast in the restaurant were very tasty and affordable. Even if breakfast wasn't free as a Diamond, the menu prices would have been very reasonable ($10 for what would usually be called an American breakfast).

Toiletries are still from a local company which was a nice change from the usual white ginger.

Only complaints were: 1. one elevator was out of service and the other one was quite slow and 2. no valet parking (although the current $7 a day self parking in the lot across the street is quite a deal!)

Would definitely stay again and I hope they don't change the property too much as they integrate it into Hyatt. I think Hyatt could take some lessons from them to rollout to the rest of the chain! In fact, I could see Avia being a strong sub-brand for Hyatt to keep and expand on.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Not happy

Just had my first stay at this AVIA and I think calling it a mini or scaled down Andaz is very accurate. However, the service here is pretty bad...at least for my stay.

Here are a few things that really disappointed me:
1) They didn't provide free upgrade to Hyatt Diamond members and the Classic King Room is pretty darn small.
2) In-Room dining is major issue at this hotel... Upon my arrival, there was a in-room food service menu on the desk, which has some pretty nice sounding items for very reaonable prices. I called the extension on the menu but no one ever answered the phone. I end up leaving the hotel to get food, which wasn't difficult considering there are many restaurants nearby.
3) In-Room breakfast major failure. Diamond member is entitled to free breakfast in the lobby restaurant or select room-service. I opted for latter as I have some morning conference calls and didn't want to sit in the restaurant. I placed the breakfast order hang-tag at around 12:15 midnight after I came back from my workout but no breakfast in the morning... I was running late for a meeting, so I ended up going hungry The no-show breakfast really threw a curve ball for my schedule. The restaurant is not buffet style, so you really can't grab a few things and go...
4) Crazy housekeeping staff - At about 7:45am, a male housekeeping staff was banging door by door aggressively. Unlike other hotels, this AVIA does not have do not distrurb hang tags. There is a leveler on the door lock, which reads "turn for privacy'. I turned the lever but not sure what visual clue it provides from the outside, but needless to say the housekeeping guy didn't get that clue. Given I heard him knocked everyone down the hall, there must be others that are not happy.

Perhaps I am just unlucky but the service here really sucks considering AVIA calls itself "high-end". The property itself is well kepted, modern, clean and chic but kind of small.

All said, letting your Diamond member go hungry without breakfast just really irritate me especially when I have a long day of jam packed meetings...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wlau
Just had my first stay at this AVIA and I think calling it a mini or scaled down Andaz is very accurate. However, the service here is pretty bad...at least for my stay.

Here are a few things that really disappointed me:
1) They didn't provide free upgrade to Hyatt Diamond members and the Classic King Room is pretty darn small.
2) In-Room dining is major issue at this hotel... Upon my arrival, there was a in-room food service menu on the desk, which has some pretty nice sounding items for very reaonable prices. I called the extension on the menu but no one ever answered the phone. I end up leaving the hotel to get food, which wasn't difficult considering there are many restaurants nearby.
3) In-Room breakfast major failure. Diamond member is entitled to free breakfast in the lobby restaurant or select room-service. I opted for latter as I have some morning conference calls and didn't want to sit in the restaurant. I placed the breakfast order hang-tag at around 12:15 midnight after I came back from my workout but no breakfast in the morning... I was running late for a meeting, so I ended up going hungry The no-show breakfast really threw a curve ball for my schedule. The restaurant is not buffet style, so you really can't grab a few things and go...
4) Crazy housekeeping staff - At about 7:45am, a male housekeeping staff was banging door by door aggressively. Unlike other hotels, this AVIA does not have do not distrurb hang tags. There is a leveler on the door lock, which reads "turn for privacy'. I turned the lever but not sure what visual clue it provides from the outside, but needless to say the housekeeping guy didn't get that clue. Given I heard him knocked everyone down the hall, there must be others that are not happy.

Perhaps I am just unlucky but the service here really sucks considering AVIA calls itself "high-end". The property itself is well kepted, modern, clean and chic but kind of small.

All said, letting your Diamond member go hungry without breakfast just really irritate me especially when I have a long day of jam packed meetings...
Wow - I'm sorry to hear your experience was so bad! My 3 stays about a month ago were the exact opposite. Was upgraded for all 3 stays from the lowest room category, twice to a master suite and once to a grand king since my pre-blocked room wasn't ready yet when I check in at 10am. Ordered room service 2 of the 3 stays and the service was quick, tasty, and very reasonable. Didn't try the in room breakfast, but I was able to eat breakfast in the restaurant when it opened at 6:30am and be on the road by 6:45am each day. Only unresolved complaint I had was it turned out they charged me for one breakfast and didn't automatically remove it since it didn't post in time for my check out and I haven't gotten bookkeeping to fix it yet.

Hopefully you just had a one time bad experience and the declining service isn't part of the Hyatt transition. This is now my second favorite LA/OC Hyatt behind Huntington Beach, so I hope they get any service issues ironed out!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:26 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hi wlau!

Could you please PM your reservation details? We would like to look into these issues that you experienced. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thank you for looking into this member's experience. I am considering booking a stay at this property next month. Can you please assure me that wlau's experience was not what a Diamond member should expect?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
I've had two stays here - in Sept and Oct - on business. I was first attracted to the property because the room rate was reasonable and the parking rate was also ($7/nt.) and it was a new addition to the Hyatt brands that I just wanted to try out.

The rooms were fine - the first time I was upgraded - and the place kind of had an Andaz "boutique feel" to it but did not always folllow through.

Although offered, I did not take advantage of room service but I did eat breakfast in the restaurant every morning of both of my stays. I have to say that out of the 6 nights I spent here in total, the service in the restaurant only met my expectations once or twice. It was VERY slow, disorganized, and just poorly run. A couple of days it was so bad that it made me and my team (I had referred several business colleagues to stay here as well) late for our morning meetings at a nearby supplier. I mentioned some feedback about the restaurant at check out on my second stay but the front desk folks did not really seem to get too excited about it. Needless to say I did not patronize the restaurant at all for any paid meals since there are many places to eat within walking distance that actually have good customer service.

If they could kick some *** in the restaurant, I would continue to stay here as I otherwise like the hotel and the surrounding area.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by wlau

As much as I enjoyed my one stay here a few months ago, I do have to agree that the breakfast room service here does not work well:

I had not received a door card to order the breakfast so I stopped at the front desk on my way out for a run at 6:15am and gave my order to the desk agent and asked for a 7am delivery. When I returned it was exactly 7am and I ran into the waiter in the lobby with my tray of food (I thought). But when I told him I could just take it from there he said that it wasn't my order and that mine hadn't even been cooked yet because they don't process the orders without calling to confirm first and they had called my room 3 times with no answer! I said I couldn't answer since I was out and that if the front desk took my order in person there should be no reason to call me to confirm it. But of course arguing with the waiter is pointless, so I told him to rush it since I was in a hurry. The order did then come pretty quickly, but if it hadn't I would have been pretty pissed as you were.

I did not think to complain to the manager about this, but your experience reminded me of it as they probably were calling your room to confirm while you were at the gym.

This is clearly a room service processing issue that needs to be corrected, so I think its good if Nick does look into it.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
As much as I enjoyed my one stay here a few months ago, I do have to agree that the breakfast room service here does not work well:

I had not received a door card to order the breakfast so I stopped at the front desk on my way out for a run at 6:15am and gave my order to the desk agent and asked for a 7am delivery. When I returned it was exactly 7am and I ran into the waiter in the lobby with my tray of food (I thought). But when I told him I could just take it from there he said that it wasn't my order and that mine hadn't even been cooked yet because they don't process the orders without calling to confirm first and they had called my room 3 times with no answer! I said I couldn't answer since I was out and that if the front desk took my order in person there should be no reason to call me to confirm it. But of course arguing with the waiter is pointless, so I told him to rush it since I was in a hurry. The order did then come pretty quickly, but if it hadn't I would have been pretty pissed as you were.

I did not think to complain to the manager about this, but your experience reminded me of it as they probably were calling your room to confirm while you were at the gym.

This is clearly a room service processing issue that needs to be corrected, so I think its good if Nick does look into it.

Actually, I worked out for about an hour and returned to the room at 12:15 midnight. I filled out the breakfast tag and hung it on my door around that time. I did not get a call between then and when I left the room in the morning (unless they called during the 10-15 min that I was in the shower).

I am an elite with IHG's Priority Club as well and stay at Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Express a lot when I travel to areas that don't have Hyatts. I must admit that I really enjoy (and probably am spoiled) by Hyatt's Regency Club and Grand Club, as well as the Club Lounge at Crowne Plaza and the free breakfast by Holiday Inn Express. For business travel, buffet is the way to go... you can be grab something quick or take as long as you need is just perfect. This AVIA has a sit down breakfast restaurant or the in-room...and buffet is not an option to the best of my knowledge. They really need to think of something reliable and fast for those weekday business travelers. I remember when I was at the Andaz West Hollywood on a leisure trip, I had an awesome breakfast in the restaurant, but it took FOREVER, almost an hour and a half -- I will never have that kind of time during the work week.

What surprised me most about my experience is that the in-room service (meal or breakfast) is a good revenue source for the hotel. Granted mine would have been free due to Diamond status, a hotel should be all over those in-room services... I will say though, there are a ton of restaurants near this hotel for lunch and dinner, all within short walking distances (the hotel is in The Pike shopping/dinning center). If AVIA doesn't fix this issue, they might as well close the restaurant and bar...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Made a reservation over a month ago, cancelled it later that same day and yet I was still charged as a "no-show". Had to call accounting and get them to reverse it, which they did eventually (hopefully- we will see). waste of 30 minutes of my day. annoying!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
...One of the highlights of the stay was the room service breakfast that was included as my diamond breakfast. It wasn't mentioned to me at checkin, but I asked since I had read it here and was told yes, that I could order room service and up to $24.55 would be taken off the bill. (this would include the service charge and taxes, so you really get about $18-19 in menu items, but I went over by a few dollars and it too was removed from my bill at checkout) I was only registered for 1, so I assume if you book for 2 you would get $49.10 in breakfast credit.

I had a nice stay last week. I booked two rooms under the AAA Rate of $107 and used two of my 2011 Suite certs to confirm the upgrades to the master suite.

My mom used one of the rooms and checked in a little early. Her room was on the third floor. She was offered a Diamond Ammenity and chose the wine and charcuterie option. The wine was a half-bottle of Coppola chardonnay.

I arrived around 3:30 p.m. and was told my suite wasn't ready (I had asked for a high floor). I hung out in my mom's room until the room was ready. The keys were delivered to us along with three free drink coupons for the inconvenience, which I thought was a nice touch. I took the points for my ammenity.

We were given a master suite on the top (7th) floor and while it was the same room and view as my mom's, being able to see over the top of the parking garage made it quite brighter. A minor problem was the hotel failed to honor our "no down pillow" request so we had to call housekeeping and get foam pillows. One of the bedside lights was also not working so that was reported and fixed the next morning.

We loved the walk-in shower and general comfort of the room. At first, we thought the bed was too soft, but we ended up sleeping very well.

We had some noisy (conversation) neighbors in the adjoining connecting room; I think the hardwood floors in the entryway contribute to it. Anyhow, it didn't impact our sleep and they were gone the next day.

Our breakfast credit for our room was $24.55, even though there were two of us in the room, so it appears the credit is per room and not per person.

We had breakfast in the restuarant twice; the first day was very good service but the second day was slow and they forgot my toast (same server).

Parking remains $7 a day and there was no problems in finding spaces in the huge structure.

Overall, a very nice property and a great value but a little hit and miss with their customer service.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 23, 2012 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Our breakfast credit for our room was $24.55, even though there were two of us in the room, so it appears the credit is per room and not per person.

I would call CS about the breakfast credit. You are entitled to breakfast for those registered (I think up to 4 people). So if 1 person gets $24.55 then 2 should get twice that. If they didn't give you credit for 2 then you should fight it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.