Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
The view from the standard suites is nothing to write home about at both properties, you will not see the Cathedral in Cologne and might see the sister building at DUS. Contact both properties to pay for an upgrade into the next suite category.

Service at the club is pretty good at both properties and this comment comes from a frequent guest with multiple visits each year, also at the respective restaurants or conference facilities.

Full breakfast is comparable as well, DUS is simply newer and tends to be more upscale. Remember, the Regency Dus was supposed to become a Grand Hyatt.

I would not necessarily burn a suite upgrade at both hotels, at least after the paper certs. were discontinued and are not available on Ebay anymore.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
@ Price123, Markie, Chad75, peter42, FD1971
Many Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I don't intend to use a DSU as I prefer to use them for a full week stay,
however I'm hoping for the option of breakfast at their restaurant since I found the breakfast at PH Hamburg and GH Berlin to be excellent.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by suite2suite
@ Price123, Markie, Chad75, peter42, FD1971
Many Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I don't intend to use a DSU as I prefer to use them for a full week stay,
however I'm hoping for the option of breakfast at their restaurant since I found the breakfast at PH Hamburg and GH Berlin to be excellent.
If you compare the breakfast buffets of chain hotels in Germany, only Kempinski is superior to Hyatt, but both play on a Champions League level.

As a frequent lunch guest @ Dox, I can only recommend the three course business lunch priced around €30. Very good value, very attentive service + GPP points and GC discounts. ^

Well managed property, however also a hotel not known for super uppgrades. I am not saying they are playing the Park Hyatt card (one category upgrade only...) but the first GM established certain principles, at least if you ask me and some colleagues.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 9:07 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by suite2suite
I need to decide for a one night stay in June:
HR Dusseldorf or HR Cologne?

Which one offers:
1) a better view 2) a larger room 3) full breakfast, Club or Restaurant 4) better Club food/amenities.

Thanks
The view in Cologne is breath taking. Just be sure to book *any* Club room. The Club Lounge is located in the centre of the highest floor directly facing to the Rhine and the cathedral.

The Hyatt Cologne additionally has an indoor pool.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:56 am

If booked for a standard suite, what are the chances of upgrade to executive suite? Platinum member here.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Unlikely.

The normal suites are great though.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:43 am

For those who are not Diamond and want to book on points 3 nights or more, I strongly recommend the base suite. It comes with club access and breakfast in the lounge, restaurant or room service. One morning I had two breakfasts: one light in the lounge before workout and a more substantial one in the restaurant afterwards. Service everywhere was top notch.

On the other hand, as a Platinum, I received no elite recognition. My suite was on the lowest possible floor (12th) facing the black office building next to the hotel.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by gum
The view in Cologne is breath taking. Just be sure to book *any* Club room. The Club Lounge is located in the centre of the highest floor directly facing to the Rhine and the cathedral.

The Hyatt Cologne additionally has an indoor pool.
Thanks
Old May 24, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Various
Had a short stay this weekend at this property and also at HR Cologne. There is simply no comparison between the two from what I saw. It can be summarized to read one is new and the other is tired. Nothing wrong with the HR Cologne even though it doesn't feel modern(neither rooms nor lobby) but the HR Düsseldorf is clearly better.

Platinum and stayed in standard rooms.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Had a short stay this weekend at this property and also at HR Cologne. There is simply no comparison between the two from what I saw. It can be summarized to read one is new and the other is tired. Nothing wrong with the HR Cologne even though it doesn't feel modern(neither rooms nor lobby) but the HR Düsseldorf is clearly better.

Platinum and stayed in standard rooms.
It is fair assessment, especially the second part of the first paragraph, that there is nothing wrong with the Regency Cologne, it is just late 1980's infrastructure, which was partly renovated five years ago, but still cannot hide its origins, i.e. the lobby and spa.

The Regency Dusseldorf was supposed to become a Grand Hyatt, it is grand after all and probably what Hyatt wants to be across the board on (Hyatt) International soil.

They are in the process of renovating Mainz, Hamburg should be next, places like Baden Baden will probably never materialize, so at this point, the overall quality in Germany is still very high, but if you care about value for money, there are quite a few alternatives in almost all the markets, maybe except Mainz.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
I checked in 30 min ago and it was a terrible experience. I hope FTers can chime in on the points below to keep me honest in my distaste for this property. If anyone from Hyatt or Hyatt GR Dusseldorf is reading, feel free to PM me - if my experience is more than a single/one-off experience, this property is in trouble.

1. No diamond recognition - I had to ask the check in attendant if my number was in the res b/c there was absolutely no recognition of diamond (or any) status (more on that below)

2a. Unaware of GP/Diamond benefits - I was initially told that my rate (corp) did not include breakfast - I pointed out that this is a typical diamond benefit. Attendant once again had to look up my status and seemed to remember that breakfast was provided in the lounge.

2b. Is breakfast in the restaurant still a diamond benefit? Given earlier comments in this thread, I inquired about breakfast in the restaurant as an alternative to the club. She quickly said no but checked with a colleague who was at the next station. They had a quick chat in German but I made out a "no no" while shaking his head. The agent reiterated that the club was the only option for breakfast.

3. Building on the theme here, there was no mention of bonus points or amenity - I once again had to check if my GP # was on file b/c I had never had an experience like this at a Hyatt. She confirmed again that my number was on file that I'd "get the points" (paraphrase)

By far the worst check in experience I have ever had in all my years as Diamond. This disappointment was amplified by a long trip and a long day - this was a quick way to squash any excitement I had about trying a new property.

The room is nice (but very small); given the awful first impression and numerous mistakes made, I can't recommend staying at this property and would check other Hyatt options or another brand (I regret not doing so) when in Dusseldorf.

Originally Posted by michael_v
For those who are not Diamond and want to book on points 3 nights or more, I strongly recommend the base suite. It comes with club access and breakfast in the lounge, restaurant or room service. One morning I had two breakfasts: one light in the lounge before workout and a more substantial one in the restaurant afterwards. Service everywhere was top notch.

On the other hand, as a Platinum, I received no elite recognition. My suite was on the lowest possible floor (12th) facing the black office building next to the hotel.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:00 pm

I feel your pain. Still waiting for my points to post. Some of the FD agents are very green. Did you use the Diamond/Plat Priority counter?
Do enjoy the modern architecture and facilities though - could be worse - Hyatt Cologne 30 minutes away is a dump, a property stuck in the 70s with staff to match.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So no knowledge of the Diamond benefits.... Not that big a deal in my opinion since you seems to know them already. And why the fuss about the amenity points, those will either post or you can claim them easily afterwards and get the 500 bonus points for doing that as well. And if you want the amenity (nobody does) simply ask for it.

Not a very good initial impression and some training is required, but not that big a deal either. It's still one of the better properties in Germany. So have breakfast in the lounge and enjoy the view.

Rooms are pretty standard as well with 32m2, so nothing very small there. You must have been tired :-).
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:40 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mohan12
I checked in 30 min ago and it was a terrible experience. I hope FTers can chime in on the points below to keep me honest in my distaste for this property. If anyone from Hyatt or Hyatt GR Dusseldorf is reading, feel free to PM me - if my experience is more than a single/one-off experience, this property is in trouble.

1. No diamond recognition - I had to ask the check in attendant if my number was in the res b/c there was absolutely no recognition of diamond (or any) status (more on that below)

2a. Unaware of GP/Diamond benefits - I was initially told that my rate (corp) did not include breakfast - I pointed out that this is a typical diamond benefit. Attendant once again had to look up my status and seemed to remember that breakfast was provided in the lounge.

2b. Is breakfast in the restaurant still a diamond benefit? Given earlier comments in this thread, I inquired about breakfast in the restaurant as an alternative to the club. She quickly said no but checked with a colleague who was at the next station. They had a quick chat in German but I made out a "no no" while shaking his head. The agent reiterated that the club was the only option for breakfast.

3. Building on the theme here, there was no mention of bonus points or amenity - I once again had to check if my GP # was on file b/c I had never had an experience like this at a Hyatt. She confirmed again that my number was on file that I'd "get the points" (paraphrase)

By far the worst check in experience I have ever had in all my years as Diamond. This disappointment was amplified by a long trip and a long day - this was a quick way to squash any excitement I had about trying a new property.

The room is nice (but very small); given the awful first impression and numerous mistakes made, I can't recommend staying at this property and would check other Hyatt options or another brand (I regret not doing so) when in Dusseldorf.
The FD staff there is very unexperienced, that is correct.

AFAIR breakfast downstairs is only included if you stay in a suite.

Amenity is always hit and miss at non NA properties, but RTW1 is not correct, some people take the amenity!

BTW. I had the discussion about diamond benefits at the Grand Cypress as well, so this is not really Düsseldorf specific.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
"Premium" HSIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.