Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: whitesol
HYATT GOLD PASSPORT® DIAMOND TRIAL
Terms and Conditions

To qualify for this promotion, member must contact Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service at 800.304.9288 or [email protected] between June 1, 2013, and April 30, 2014, reference Offer Code DMD14 and provide a statement with their account activity from a competitor. Upon enrollment, member will receive trial Diamond membership for 60 days. To maintain Diamond membership through February 2015, member must complete 12 eligible nights at any Hyatt worldwide within 60 days of enrollment. Member will also receive 1,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points on their first six (6) eligible nights within 60 days. Maximum 6,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points may be earned. Diamond 30% point bonus will be awarded for all eligible stays during the 60-day trial membership period when member chooses points for their stay. If member completes the stay requirements they will receive a new membership card, valid through February 2015, within 3-4 weeks of qualifying. Membership benefits will be available when member provides their Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of reservation and check-in.

Limit one trial tier offer per member. Hyatt Gold Passport will track all eligible nights in which a Hyatt Gold Passport account number is provided. An eligible night is defined as a single night at any Hyatt in which an eligible rate is paid. For the purposes of this Promotion, an “Eligible Rate” shall be defined as any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to, rates found on hyatt.com, the Hyatt Daily Rate, Volume Account Rates, AAA and Senior Citizen rates. “Ineligible Rates” are discounted rates, including, but not limited to, any free night stays, Third Party Internet Rates (examples include priceline.com, hotels.com, Expedia, and Travelocity), traditional wholesale rates (examples include GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, etc.), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, Club at the Hyatt discount certificate stays, Hyatt employee or employee family discount rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers or contracted rooms (a contract room is a room that has been reserved pursuant to a written and executed agreement between a hotel and a corporation, government agency or individual for a negotiated room rate in exchange for an agreed upon number of rooms to be rented for an extended period of time). Back-to-back stays at a single Hyatt are considered one stay. Hyatt Gold Passport reserves the right to alter or withdraw this promotion at any time without notice.

The following are all the competitors and required status to qualify for the Diamond Trial Offer.

Hilton Honors- Gold VIP and Diamond
Marriott- Gold and Platinum
Starwood- Platinum
Priority Club (now IHG Rewards Club)-Platinum
Fairmont Hotel (one FT has had success)

Please note, the competitor statement must indicate your name, tier status and at least one stay in the last 12 months. Please email statement of your membership activity with a competitor to us for processing.

This promotion is subject to the complete Terms and Conditions of the Hyatt Gold Passport program. For complete program terms and conditions, visit goldpassport.com. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® encompasses hotels managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Hyatt Hotels Corporation. The trademarks Hyatt®, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz®, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place®, HYATT house®, Hyatt Residence Club®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation and its affiliates. ©2013 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.

Important note on timeframe: You have 60 days from the start of the challenge to complete the 12 nights, regardless of what the expiration date is on the your account profile. You may still retain Diamond status until the end of the month in which your trial period ends.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by FD1971
Under the bottom line, if you are really serious about switching to Hyatt, a challenge should not turn you away...
Exactly. I have always been proponent of actually earning the status.

It is always fun to read newly comped Diamond complaining after their first ever Hyatt stay why they didn't get upgraded to a suite.

There has always been double stay promotions in the past few years. It is very easy to earn the status if one has any paid stays at hotels.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, National EE
IMHO, they could still keep the challenge requirements but do not give out comp status for that time. Or even if they do give comp status, at the very most it should be platinum and not diamond.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So is the local Hyatt hotel whose sales department puts in for the status match going to get debited by Corporate for each status match provided (and/or the benefits of the status provided)? Otherwise what Corporate control is there on the results of this greater decentralization and on the local sales' person/team putting in for elite status?
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The concept of a challenge makes sense to me, but this sounds like a move to give preference to regulars at individual hotels rather than people who are interested in the overall Hyatt portfolio.

For what it's worth, I wanted to look at alternatives to Hilton after a couple years of Diamond there and tried SPG and Hyatt. Hyatt completely won based on customer service, programme benefits and the Park Hyatt chain and now gets my business where I have the ability to make the choice (mainly when Hyatt has a hotel in the location!).

As a result I'm now dependent on a soft landing from Hilton to get any status at all, whereas with Hyatt and SPG I'll be renewing as earnt Platinum and Gold respectively. In 2011, I'll do what I can to get my HGP up to Diamond again.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Absolutely agree this decision..

BTW, does it means Hyatt diamond cannot be matched to other program? e.g. to SPG plat?

Or, just matching from other programs is not offered any more..
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
BTW, does it means Hyatt diamond cannot be matched to other program? e.g. to SPG plat?

Matching from other programs is not offered anymore - Hyatt can't control what other programs do.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GLD
I heard somewhere that the reason that they shut this down was that someone was selling doctored statements from competing programs so people could status match and get the suite upgrades and benefits without ever even stepping foot in competitors hotel.

I don't blame them for trying to cut off this activity. I am defiantly glad that I did do the status match last year, Hyatt did get 30 stays out of me that Hilton probably would have got. Now I am scrambling to requal to diamond with Hilton this year.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Lets look at it a different way...what does Hyatt lose-2 suite certs. What does Hyatt gain???

1-A potentially new customer
2-Credit card fee
3-Points "fees" sold to the credit card company
4-A chance to show a frequent traveler (obviously, as they are Diamond/Plat/Etc with another program) their "best"-someone who stays very few, if any, nights a year in a Hyatt
^ and...
5-Getting folks invested in accumulating a lot of stays and maintaining status once they've started down the road of Diamond perks.

I know that I'm just one data point but FWIW: With a potential status match, I was starting to plan Hyatt stays in places where in the past I'd used other hotels for my 60-80 nights on the road per year. Now, I may go for the Hyatt credit card, but such stays and maintaining status become less appealing.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller
Absolutely agree this decision..

How can you "Absolutely agree this decision..." when you have NO CLUE as to how this program works? Understand how a status match really works then come back and give your decision.

Originally Posted by edwards183
I heard somewhere that the reason that they shut this down was that someone was selling doctored statements from competing programs so people could status match and get the suite upgrades and benefits without ever even stepping foot in competitors hotel.

I don't blame them for trying to cut off this activity. I am defiantly glad that I did do the status match last year, Hyatt did get 30 stays out of me that Hilton probably would have got. Now I am scrambling to requal to diamond with Hilton this year.
SO WHAT.

You get one status match/lifetime. Even if you go about trying to get different accounts-ie. different PO boxes, different spelling changes from your name...how many would this acccount for? .0000000001% of all status matches and .000000000000000000000000000001% of suite certs used. REALLY...I am sure rounding errors are 10X's status match costs on the balance sheet.

I still think this is a VERY VERY poor decision. (I am diamond-status matched-have no "skin" in this game..im done)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The concept of a challenge makes sense to me, but this sounds like a move to give preference to regulars at individual hotels rather than people who are interested in the overall Hyatt portfolio.

For what it's worth, I wanted to look at alternatives to Hilton after a couple years of Diamond there and tried SPG and Hyatt. Hyatt completely won based on customer service, programme benefits and the Park Hyatt chain and now gets my business where I have the ability to make the choice (mainly when Hyatt has a hotel in the location!).

As a result I'm now dependent on a soft landing from Hilton to get any status at all, whereas with Hyatt and SPG I'll be renewing as earnt Platinum and Gold respectively. In 2011, I'll do what I can to get my HGP up to Diamond again.
Not quite. There's no preference for regulars vs an individual interested in the overall portfolio. Regulars at a certain property have probably earned status anyway. What this does is give control to local sales departments who know and understand their market better than corporate. The intent, I'm sure, is to use this as a tool to go after high revenue prospects. For example, a sales manager recruited from a competitive hotel may be able to contact his old clients and try to woo them over.

My opinion on this is that it protects the brand. Hyatt doesn't want to dilute the experience. If the only reason you'll stay at a hotel is because of status, then you're probably a customer that will churn eventually. Ultimately, the most loyal and valuable customers are those that love the properties. They will choose to earn status. Hyatt made a calculated business decision and in my opinion, a good one.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Thanks for the info, Chrissi. While I status matched earlier in the year and am now a loyal Hyatt customer, I am curious, does this mean that there won't be challenges anymore either for those with credentials from a different loyalty program? So would a Starwood Platinum with evidence of their stays get a "stay X times in X days and retain Diamond through the end of the year" offer, or not?
They suspended the Platinum and Diamond Trials a while ago, Ben.

Seems like the answer is "no" with the OP in this thread. (unless a specific property sponsors it, apparently).

-David
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They suspended the Platinum and Diamond Trials a while ago, Ben.
It seems like they were doing it up until mid-October, once they stopped status matching, no? Not sure if that constitutes a while ago or not. But does seem to be recent, IMO.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It seems like they were doing it up until mid-October, once they stopped status matching, no? Not sure if that constitutes a while ago or not. But does seem to be recent, IMO.
+1

I got my match to Plat in early September. I'm also unsure if that would be considered a while ago..
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:27 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hyattnjfan
Not quite. There's no preference for regulars vs an individual interested in the overall portfolio. Regulars at a certain property have probably earned status anyway. What this does is give control to local sales departments who know and understand their market better than corporate. The intent, I'm sure, is to use this as a tool to go after high revenue prospects. For example, a sales manager recruited from a competitive hotel may be able to contact his old clients and try to woo them over.
This is probably a better way of describing what I was trying to say. I'm not that familiar with the hotel business, but to what degree does "local" actually have relevence? This year I've had 10 nights in Amsterdam, 30 in Chicago, 30 elsewhere in Illinois, ~100 in South Africa.

Maybe the inter-regional/ international market is a minority in terms of Hyatt's guests, in which case a focus on the local market makes sense, but it's not what I would have expected.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:33 am

That's not the Diamond and Platinum Trial thread, which was suspended a while ago. That's what I was referring to. That's not what you meant? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...5-14-10-a.html (discontinued May 14 2010).

The competitive/tier status matching suspension was just announced in this thread on Nov 8. That was the last remaining status match done by GP as far as I know.

Now the only way to get status with Hyatt is either by stays/nights or, get a specific property to sponsor you for a competitive status match.

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I got my match to Plat in early September. I'm also unsure if that would be considered a while ago..
I'm sure you did as GP Concierge just posted two days ago on Nov 8 that the tier (status) match is now discontinued, except by individual property sponsorships. The one you got, and the Diamond Trial I took advantage of were handled by GP, not by individual properties sales departments, right?

I was just trying to answer Ben's question but apparently my answers confused both of you. There was only one competitive (tier) status match handled by GP. Now it's been discontinued. That program is the subject of this thread. There was another thread on how to do it, which is now closed (the thread Ben linked to in his reply, which I quoted, above). That was the same program. I guess I didn't need to mention the Plat/Diamond Trial programs, but I thought that's what Ben was asking about because DMTRIAL09 was a status match based fast-track promo also, if you recall. (See post #144 in the Plat/Diamond Trial Thread). Anyway, they are all discontinued for now.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 10, 2010 at 5:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.