Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport South - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum

2 night stay. Not impressed; particularly with housekeeping. Sofa hassock was sticky from previous guest spilt soda. Coffee set-up refreshed, but mugs were not replaced/cleaned. Entry foyers on side doors had leaves, papers, etc on the floors. Hallways did not appear clean.

Check-in was not particularly friendly (rare for MSP) but Plat status was recognized and amenity offered. (Points selected, did not post. Nor did G Bonus.) Original room was on highway side of hotel, even though better located rooms were available. (profile states high floor, quiet room) When I requested a move, the FD Clerk stated "yes, I saw that, but the room was pre-blocked." Oh.

I did not use the indoor pool, Mall of America shuttle, or airport shuttle. Location IS convenient to airport and mall, but IMO there are other properties that offer a better value. This one is certainly not inexpensive, and I would not stay here again.

First time I have ever made this statement with regards to any type of Hyatt property!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 9:14 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello sophiegirl,

On behalf of Hyatt, let me apologize. I have contacted the hotel mananger and she was as horrified as I about the conditions during your stay. Can you please PM me as soon as possible so we can get this resolved for you.

Thank you very much

Geoff B.

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
2 night stay. Not impressed; particularly with housekeeping. Sofa hassock was sticky from previous guest spilt soda. Coffee set-up refreshed, but mugs were not replaced/cleaned. Entry foyers on side doors had leaves, papers, etc on the floors. Hallways did not appear clean.

Check-in was not particularly friendly (rare for MSP) but Plat status was recognized and amenity offered. (Points selected, did not post. Nor did G Bonus.) Original room was on highway side of hotel, even though better located rooms were available. (profile states high floor, quiet room) When I requested a move, the FD Clerk stated "yes, I saw that, but the room was pre-blocked." Oh.

I did not use the indoor pool, Mall of America shuttle, or airport shuttle. Location IS convenient to airport and mall, but IMO there are other properties that offer a better value. This one is certainly not inexpensive, and I would not stay here again.

First time I have ever made this statement with regards to any type of Hyatt property!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
I really hate to hear this, I had rooms booked in July. I really prefer Hyatt, but I cannot stand dealing with room issues.

One part of me wants to think this is an isolated incident. The other part does not want to take a chance.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Jul 17, 2010 at 7:05 am
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:52 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I really hate to hear this, I had 2 rooms booked for 8 days in July. I really prefer Hyatt, but I cannot stand dealing with room issues.

One part of me wants to think this is an isolated incident. The other part does not want to take a chance.
Hi EasternTraveler,

Having talked to the hotel manager on behalf of sophiegirl, I can confidently say that was an isolated incident. The manager was just as upset as we, at Flyertalk Gold Passport Concierge, were with the stay sophiegirl received.

Geoff B.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Perhaps sophiegirl might want to chime in again with a follow-up on how things were handled?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Perhaps sophiegirl might want to chime in again with a follow-up on how things were handled?
I am not certain that I want to chime in again, but to be honest I think I must.......

I greatly appreciate Geoff's pro-active handling of this situation, and was impressed by it. I said so in a PM. That PM was (evidently) NOT read by Geoff, but by a different Hyatt Concierge; who responded that "the hotel had been notified of my comments and perhaps would be in touch".
Hmm.........

I have not heard from the hotel.

I am not a particular germaphobe or neat freak - as my Mother sees fit to constantly remind me . It should be noted that I had a 2 night stay, so even if the sticky hammock were missed once, it should have been cleaned the next day. I used the same entrance my entire stay, and it was never cleaned up either.

I generally write very positive reviews and comments. I cannot in this instance; and stand by my original post. Although I will now be in the area on a regular basis, I will not stay in this hotel again.

EasternTraveler; you could try a night or two - (I never mind being proven wrong on a hotel issue) but I would definitely have a back-up plan.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jun 15, 2010 at 5:40 pm
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've been at this property a few times and it struck me as no better or worse than any of the other Hyatt Places I've been to recently. The cleaning failure noted in the OP is not representative of what I've experienced at this hotel, but I too would be unhappy if I had such an experience with a dirty room.

This hotel does seem to have higher prices than the other Hyatt Places I've been booking as of late.

If the price is not way out of whack and there is an interesting Hyatt promotion (as there is now), then I'll be using this property again if only because of Hyatt GP promotions.

On my next flight out of MSP, I am likely to be staying again at this property (if only to rack up some GP promotional award and get the bonus AA miles) and because it's not bad for an airport-area property.

From the hotel, it's even possible to walk to a light-rail station that connects downtown Minneapolis with the airport and the Mall of America -- that is if not wanting to take the hotel shuttle to the station and/or airport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:07 am

I agree with the OP, this hotel is less than ideal and not up to Hyatt standards.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: HH, MR, CR, PC
Hyatt Place Bloomington

I have never joined a site like this but I happened to be the gentleman checking out when the above was making complaints to the the manager. When he said that he had reviewed the hotel on Flyer Talk, I had to join. I then sat at the bar while his wife and children waited for their food. I must say that I do not agree with his complaints. I found my room very clean and comfortable. The breakfast area was not designed for the amount of people it tried to hold this morning. However, every staff member I saw was working extremely hard to keep the place clean. It is a design flaw that I have seen in every Hyatt Place I've stayed in. I work for Delta and see a lot of hotels. I'm not sure if the lady behind the desk was whom he was referring to. However, she showed him his reservations on her computer, called another employee over to make sure he double checked the guest's room for cleanliness and even offered him a $50.00 rate (she asked him what he wanted to pay and he told her $50.00, so she agreed to it). This is even a lower rate than I paid and we have a Delta rate with them! I will continue to stay at this hotel and other Hyatt Places. I think the entire staff handled the situation with grace.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:05 pm

This location is the worst Hyatt Place property of all that I have ever stayed in. Some of the housekeeping staff walked out on the manager and I don't blame them. She is the reason there is a problem here. Her response to every problem is "I will ask them to be more detail oriented." Literally, she then calls the head of housekeeping to the front desk and says to him "Tell the housekeepers they need to be more detail oriented". Exactly what do they need to do or did they fail to do. The guy turns and walks away. Later observing the manager from the breakfast area, I notice that when a guest calls and she speaks to them, she hangs up the phone and rolls her eyes. She does not do anything about what the guest called despite saying "I will take care of that right away". I don't know how long right away is, but usually I would consider it less than an hour and a half. The length of time I was at the front observing her taking more than one phone call and reacting the same way, while making none. The staff does not have any respect for her and it is VERY obvious. Sophiegirl do not count on a return phone call!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have never noticed an issue with cleanliness or attention to detail. It's always been a standard, run-of-the-mill Hyatt Place. The times I've interacted with the staff, they've always been pleasant and accommodating. The location is quite convenient for overnight stays before an early AM flight or things of that nature, although there's not really anything nearby that is accessible by foot, except the light rail stop a few blocks away.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:06 am

I too have stayed at this hotel several times. In the past it was an isolated incident when the place was less than ideal. However, in May my room was not cleaned well. In June the plates were not cleaned properly. A couple of weeks ago the room was not cleaned well. Most of the staff is friendly, some have their moments that are not ideal.

I would have to say that what the OP experienced would be par for the course on some days. Every hotel has its days, this one has more negative than positive recently. I would have to agree the manager is unresponsive. The staff seems sincere, she seems fake.

I have started staying at the Embassy Suites for this area. The rate has actually been lower and the breakfast better. I prefer Hyatt, but the unknown, makes it not worth taking the chance. The interaction with manager shows that improvement is not in the works.

Our company has specified hotels for our stays. I have complained about this property enough and so have a few others. We are now allowed to stay at the Embassy Suites. So they have lost a few hotel stays a month.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:40 pm

Hyatt Place Bloomington, MN

I stand by my original post. Working for delta, I know firsthand that if they receive any sort of complaints, we would not continue to stay there. I did not see any staff walk out and I highly doubt this actually happened. The staff I encountered were very busy but not upset in the least. Maybe some people just can’t be satisfied. I’m not sure the girl behind the counter could have done anything to satisfy EasternTraveler. I see you deleted your original post after my post. She handled herself with class. It is quite possible that this may not be the same young lady that Danger Man is talking about. I certainly did not see anything fake or insincere. I stay there at least twice per month and I will continue to post my stay comments, good or bad, in order to either prove me wrong or continue to promote this hotel. Stay tuned….
Old Jul 25, 2010, 5:20 pm

Welcome to FT. My post is there, just for you and everyone else that wants to read it. You were present for a whole 15 minutes maybe of a 4 day stay and you think that you know what happened. You don't know what happened.

1. My room was not cleaned. It had trash on the floor that had not been vacuumed and hair that had not been cleaned from the tub.
2. The first morning the bowls had hard dried cereal in them. I pointed it out to them. One employee ignored it. The one at the front desk ended up removing 90% o them because they were so dirty. He apolgized and told me my stay would be complimentary.
3. There were other compounding issues. It just so happens that you only came in on the tail end of an ongoing conversation. I have a letter from her confirming the issue and why it happened with her apologies.
4. I was offered a complimentary stay and ended up paying $50 for one of my nights and full agreed upon charges for the other nights. I was the one being generous.

Bottom line, don't stick your nose where you don't know what you are talking about. Unless you are really NOT who you say you are, you would not have done that.

Good day ole chap. I hope you do not experience a bad stay at this hotel. At least I know that I will NOT.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:52 pm

WOW! ET, you must really have a chip on your shoulder. You are correct, I did not see your room nor the dirty dishes. However, I never commented on that either. I simply stated the facts of my stay and what I observed of your conversation with the young lady behind the counter. I stand by my post, the hotel was clean and the staff was working very hard. If you truly have a letter from the young lady then your comment of her being unresponsive is incorrect. Good luck on your future travels and God Bless. Something tells me this isn't a first for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.