Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the best NYC Hyatt?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Which is the best NYC Hyatt?

What is the best New York City Hyatt in your opinion and why?

I am a Diamond, so I would be also interested in which is the best NYC Hyatt for Diamonds.

This is for an FFN stay later next month.

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 8:12 am

Status aside, one is probably best off avoiding Hyatt in New York.

If you really want to stay at a Hyatt, I am sure that the Andaz Wall Street is currently the best option. When it opens the 5th avenue property would be my choice location wise.

The Grand Hyatt is really not an acceptable property IMHO, but the one thing it does have going for it is a convenient location. Otherwise, it certainly is "Grand" in name only.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Agree with Mike. The Grand is bad and I wouldn't stay there. I still miss the Stanhope that was a nice Park Hyatt.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:18 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Grand is a convention hotel. Rooms received minor renovations about 4-5 years ago but those renovations weren't extensive enough and in some cases were a degradation -- lamps were replaced with dim 8 watt energy-saving flourescents, for example. Bathrooms are still postage stamp sized, even in large suites. Still, rooms are tolerable if you buy lightbulbs and don't expect too much. Also everything -- and I mean everything -- costs extra, including leaving a bag for a few hours on checkout or having a package delivered to your room.

Service is also mediocre and you may have a long wait on check-in and check-out if you refuse to use the machines. The Grand Club staff cannot check you in or out -- all they did was stick a machine right outside the club. These machines IMO are only an option if you are lucky and agree with everything on the bill as stated.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The Grand is a convention hotel. Rooms received minor renovations about 4-5 years ago but those renovations weren't extensive enough and in some cases were a degradation -- lamps were replaced with dim 8 watt energy-saving flourescents, for example. Bathrooms are still postage stamp sized, even in large suites. Still, rooms are tolerable if you buy lightbulbs and don't expect too much. Also everything -- and I mean everything -- costs extra, including leaving a bag for a few hours on checkout or having a package delivered to your room.

Service is also mediocre and you may have a long wait on check-in and check-out if you refuse to use the machines. The Grand Club staff cannot check you in or out -- all they did was stick a machine right outside the club. These machines IMO are only an option if you are lucky and agree with everything on the bill as stated.
Totally agree, I remember having to press the lamp button 3 times to turn the lamp off. The hotel relies on its location and large number of rooms for customers but it really is a mediocre Hyatt.

The best NYC Hyatt right now is the Andaz Wall Street! You can find some reviews on it right here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

interesting...I didn't realize that the GH NYC is so far below the Andaz.

what about the club in the GH? for a family of 4 or more, it would seem that GH NYC is better for breakfast option...right?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
The GH NY is NOT my type of hotel and I have status with Starwood too. The GH is simply a zoo.

That said, if you want to go for a few days and take advantage of the city, get some benefits by using the club, sure - why not. It's not my type of place but it isn't that bad that I would refuse to go there!
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:59 pm

I honestly don't understand why this hotel gets such negative comments. I am staying here right now and they have taken very good care of me.

For a family it really can help cut the cost of eating in NYC. The club offers a decent continental breakfast (If you can get a AAA rate with full breakfast, even better!), afternoon tea and cookies, evening hors d'ouvres and dessert. It's also a great source for bottled waters and they have a wonderful latte machine.

Is it a busy hotel? Yes. Don't come here with the expectation of a boutique hotel experience. However, from the comments I've seen on FT, you would think this was a real dump, which is certainly is not.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303
what about the club in the GH? for a family of 4 or more, it would seem that GH NYC is better for breakfast option...right?
As a Diamond you will also receive complimentary breakfast at the Andaz, so it shouldn`t make a difference. Since the Andaz breakfast will be full breakfast in a restaurant setting, I think it will probably be nicer than the club breakfast at the GH NYC.

I would not let the complimentary offerings at the Grand Club at the GH influence your decision too much. You will get free breakfast at the Andaz, and there are a lot of delis, cafes, and restaurants near the Andaz where you can eat at reasonable prices if you find the hotel`s prices high or just want variety.

At any hotel in NYC if bottled water is not complimentary I just go out to a Duane Reade or a deli to buy water and anything else I might want.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:19 pm

Grand Hyatt has been good very accommodating to us as far as the room selection/upgrade goes. The recently changed coffee brand in the RC is not my favorite though and the breakfast gets very boring after a while. But access to Fiji/Pellegrino bottled water is always a nice perk, even if that is not such an advantage over Andaz. There are so many factors that make the hotel best for one or the other person, and the choice being two hotels it really is no such thing as the best Hyatt in NYC.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:42 pm

There are also advantages to the Andaz Wall Street location. I really enjoy the downtown area and there are a lot of things that that would be interesting for a family, such as Battery Park, South Street seaport, some very good restaurants, bargain shopping at Century 21, etc..

Another upside to the location is how much quieter it will be at night and on weekends. While the GH`s location is convenient, 42nd street and Lexington avenue is certainly not where I would want to stay for any extended period of time.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
There are also advantages to the Andaz Wall Street location. I really enjoy the downtown area and there are a lot of things that that would be interesting for a family, such as Battery Park, South Street seaport, some very good restaurants, bargain shopping at Century 21, etc.
I used to stay at the Regent Wall Street (at 55 Wall) before its conversion to condos, and I agree about the location as a good base for lower Manhattan exploration.

Having said that, I'll be at the GH next week (first time in about 10 years) and will add my report to the other recent experiences.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold
definatly Andaz Wallstreet...staeyd there for 7 nights...was perfect, nice breakfast, free minibar
Nice large room...enjoy...
And you cant hear anything from outside...stayed in there on the 15th floor
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
As a Diamond you will also receive complimentary breakfast at the Andaz, so it shouldn`t make a difference.

I think the breakfast at Andaz is $50 per room. So a group of 4 would only get $12.50 each for breakfast which is insufficient.

So I guess the general feel is that the Andaz has superior rooms and better for individuals while GH NYC is better for families?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Go with low expectations and you'll be fine at the GH NY. It was certainly a disappointment after the Park Hyatt DC and Andaz WeHo, however the locations was it's greatest asset. It has a door leading directly to Grand Central station which is handy, and gives access to the food outlets there.

The club, it seems, is typical of American club lounges which don't offer complimentary alcohol. We only used it to grab water and soft drinks as the lounge was small and had a woeful offering to what we are used to in Australasia. As above, if you book an AAA rate with breakfast you can eat in the restaurant, which was sufficient, but by my standards what you would expect at a 3 star hotel.

Personally I prefer the Andaz brand, but we're a young couple, not a family. Until Andaz 5th Ave opens I'd choose the GH over the Andaz for location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.