Wiki Posts
Search

Meeting Place at the Airport - Coming from different flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
Meeting Place at the Airport - Coming from different flights

I'm meeting relatives at HK in a couple of weeks. It will be all our first time in HKG. I'm arriving via UA and they are arriving via 5J (Cebu Pacific). Our flights arrive around the same time (give or take an hour - in case there are any delays, etc).

Where might be a good place to meet each other - given we're both first timers to the airport? It looks like both planes arrive in the same terminal, so I was thinking after immigration - where everyone waits for their arrival parties might work - except it will be crowded.

Are there any other locations, relatively close to the gates/immigration, that can work as a good and easy-to-find meeting place?

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by lcatfishl
I'm meeting relatives at HK in a couple of weeks. It will be all our first time in HKG. I'm arriving via UA and they are arriving via 5J (Cebu Pacific). Our flights arrive around the same time (give or take an hour - in case there are any delays, etc).

Where might be a good place to meet each other - given we're both first timers to the airport? It looks like both planes arrive in the same terminal, so I was thinking after immigration - where everyone waits for their arrival parties might work - except it will be crowded.

Are there any other locations, relatively close to the gates/immigration, that can work as a good and easy-to-find meeting place?

Thanks!
I would meet in the arrival hall after clearing immigration and customs. Best not to wait around in there.

Pick an end and find each other.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
HKIA is one of the few airports where arrivals & departures are segregated, but you could still find somewhere comfortable to wait before immigration, because this area also serves as the pre-departure lounge for the boats to China and Macau.

There's a Pacific Coffee just before you go through immigration - you might be able to track it down on this map http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/interactive-map.html

However it does mean that if you have checked bags going round on the belt, they will at some point be pulled into storage.

There are also some F&B places in the arrivals area but I've always found that part of the airport the busiest!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 1:03 pm

I'd meet after immigration and customs; the MTR Service Centre is in the middle of the hall and makes for an unmissable landmark. There's seating nearby.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by 889
I'd meet after immigration and customs; the MTR Service Centre is in the middle of the hall and makes for an unmissable landmark. There's seating nearby.
As does Mc Donalds if you want to enjoy a coffee while waiting.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would just meet in town, assuming you're not planning on sharing a taxi.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I always arrange to meet at the Airport Express ticket desk. IIRC there is seating there
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Airport Express Ticket Counter is a BAD idea, because... There are TWO of them, one at Hall A, one at Hall B (which are two halves of the same hall). Just meet at McD.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Airport Express Ticket Counter is a BAD idea, because... There are TWO of them, one at Hall A, one at Hall B (which are two halves of the same hall). Just meet at McD.
Thanks to everyone who responded. If there's a McD's that can't be missed after customs, I'd probably use that, then. I always check the local McD's menus when in a different country, anyway.

As an aside, the Airport Express Ticket counters also sell the Octopus cards, yes? That's going to be our next step after meeting up, anyway.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes they do.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:39 pm

If you want to get some quick use out of your new Octopus card, then buy it before you head to McDonalds.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:22 pm

Are you sure that there are desks in both halls - not as far as I remember

Please note that although you can pay for your AE ticket with a credit card, you have to pay cash for your octopus card, so your first port of call may need to be the ATM's in the arrivals hall

Last edited by steveben53; Nov 11, 2016 at 12:06 am
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:26 am

Yes - you are correct. There are two desks, one in either hall
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveben53
Please note that although you can pay for your AE ticket with a credit card, you have to pay cash for your octopus card, so your first port of call may need to be the ATM's in the arrivals hall
Thanks for the head's up.
I already plan to have some currency prior to arriving, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.