HK island to CAN

Old Oct 1, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
HK island to CAN

Does anyone know how long a drive is it from HK island to CAN airport?
Looking to get a private car transfer.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

~3.5 hours
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
~3.5 hours
Also depends on who is driving, the type of vehicle and/or the type of registration plate.

Cross border private service is not cheap as there are only a limited number of vehicle who is license to do the run. You will also need to factor in the cost of the return trip for the driver.

OP must have a really good reason to fly out of CAN vs HKG or SZN.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tentseller
Also depends on who is driving, the type of vehicle and/or the type of registration plate.

Cross border private service is not cheap as there are only a limited number of vehicle who is license to do the run. You will also need to factor in the cost of the return trip for the driver.

OP must have a really good reason to fly out of CAN vs HKG or SZN.
The train is pretty easy, isn't it?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Blumie
The train is pretty easy, isn't it?
Yes but OP looks for something else:

Originally Posted by hakzai
Looking to get a private car transfer.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
How is the train easy from HK Island to CAN? Especially with luggage?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
How is the train easy from HK Island to CAN? Especially with luggage?
No such train exists.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
OP must have a really good reason to fly out of CAN vs HKG or SZX.
I'm curious about this as well. I often fly out of SZX instead of HKG because China coverage is much better. Furthermore, thanks to the newish train, the "Shenzhen shuffle" is no longer super annoying.

CAN is an entirely different beast. The airport is far enough away from both Guangzhou East (through trains go there) and Guangzhou South (high speed trains, now from Futian, go there) to render the train option pretty useless. Meanwhile, the car option costs around $HK2000.

There are some places you can fly to from CAN, and not HKG or SZX, but the list is pretty short.

As a general rule, I never connect within China. However, I would do so if flying nonstop entailed a 3.5 hour car ride and $HK2000.

If flying from CAN was the only practical option, I would take a train to Guangzhou the day before my flight, and stay in a hotel.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips guys.
I did check with some business contacts on the car ride and price.
3.5 hrs and HK$2000 is the going rate and time to get to CAN.

I was planning on flying out from CAN due to QR A380 flies out from there.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:01 pm

Thanks for the tips guys.
I did check with some business contacts on the car ride and price.
3.5 hrs and HK$2000 is the going rate and time to get to CAN.

I was planning on flying out from CAN due to QR A380 flies out from there.
Why do you not just fly between the two?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why do you not just fly between the two?
This thought crossed my mind because the cost is certainly less than $HK2000, but perhaps the flight times aren't well suited for the OP's schedule. In any event, now that we know that the OP is going to a destination that is served via HKG, I can safely opine that the CAN detour (just to fly on different airplane) is cause for unnecessary hassle.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:33 am
Original Poster

QR doesn't have first class to HKG. therefore my reason to travel to CAN.
I thought about flying to CAN. But that would bump the total distance traveled over 14Kmiles and require more AM.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
QR doesn't have first class to HKG. therefore my reason to travel to CAN.
I thought about flying to CAN. But that would bump the total distance traveled over 14Kmiles and require more AM.
Paying for the 20:20 h flight on KA from HKG to CAN would be my way to go. It will be cheaper and (at least in my opinion) less hassle. Getting your bags interlined from KA to QR might be an adventure, though.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Paying for the 20:20 h flight on KA from HKG to CAN would be my way to go. It will be cheaper and (at least in my opinion) less hassle. Getting your bags interlined from KA to QR might be an adventure, though.
Depends how many they are travelling, I guess OP wouldn't want a Y seat from HKG to CAN so hiring a private car for 2 is way cheaper.

OP also wants to start from HK island, and it will be around 40 minutes drive to HKG, so driving to CAN will get OP there about the same time.

It also adds flexibility as OP can leave at any time he wanted vs 8:20pm HKG departure, maybe leave HK at 6pm the latest to catch the flight, and hope it wouldn't be delayed.

KA doesn't interlink bags anymore so OP will need to collect the bags and recheck in, not a very easy transit as CAN

And if OP does want to save some money and still enjoy private transfer, change another private car at Shenzhen border will save around $500 and wouldn't cost more than 5 minutes of time if organized well in advance.

Last edited by Ausriver; Oct 9, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:07 am

Why would you assume the OP would want to pay for J on a 40 minute flight? All but my very wealthiest friends would call that extremely wasteful.

Assuming a modest (I.e not crazy) delay, I can all but guarantee you that if I checked in at HK station an hour before scheduled departure, I would get to CAN well before a person who left from there in a car at the same time.

That having been said, I would still probably go for the car option because this would allow the OP to leave HK after the KA flight departs---->less time wasted at CAN. I will also say that the new highway is pretty slick, and effectively starts at the China side of the Shenzhen Bay checkpoint. I figure 1.25 hours to get from Central to there, and 2.25 hours from there to CAN. At night, this estimate is reasonably conservative. During peak hours, I'd allow for extra time to cross the border, but my 1.25 hours already takes into account most scenarios (my average, including peak times, is just shy of an hour; absolute worst is 2 hours, but I've only gotten close to this number 3 or 4 times).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.