Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: BA
A suit should b around HKD 8K, but all depends on materials and all that.

Not 100% sure on the turnaround time. But you could call or email and ask.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Gold, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Just got back.

Well, my tailor (New World Tailor) has closed down, so I went on the hunt for a new one while I was there the last week of June. Did a massive internet search, narrowed it down to 2, and wound up buying new suits @ Sam's Tailor (www.samstailor.com).

4 Suits (one 3 piece) - All "better-than average" fabrics (silk/wool), 10 shirts, 30h turn-around (I took them home with me the next day).

$2156 USD. For the quality, the instant-turn-around time, and to me, that's a fair-price.

Busy shop. The suits/shirts are awesome and I love them. I'll be going back to them next time I'm in HK, which I guess is about as good an endorsement as I can give them. Should've had them make me a Tux, too ($500 usd), but I'd hit my suit-budget for that trip.

Cheers!

-SF
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:41 am

I wrote my review of Sam's before I saw this post... lol! I'll add that Sam's is good quality, but I'm sure there are better. It's also a friendly environment, and they seem up to date on the latest trends.

There are 2 reasons I chose them. 1: They were open on 7/1, which is an HK holiday. 2: If politicians / celebs keep going there, then that's a decent endorsement... usually if a tailor sucks, they'll get bad press and the DC folk will stay away. In fact, when I was there "Sam" was in DC on business.

-SF

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Hi All-

I'm visiting HKG in Sept and want to get a custom suit. I rarely wear suits, and am poorly educated on the subject so I am a perfect client for the 'tourist trap' tailors. Trying to avoid that through research.

My goal is a quality mid-priced suit (somewhere around $600-800 USD would be nice), I have an awards ceremony to attend in late Sept so it gives me a good reason to do this now.

I first found Sam's Tailor and saw many good reviews and press on this establishment. But certainly mixed reviews as well. I am a sucker for the 'small-time' story and it seems more fun than a flashy place, but I want a good suit and a good value too. So I feel like I should look elsewhere. However, any recent experience at Sam's?

Empire Tailors (www.empiretailors.com) seems to have good reviews and a reputation higher than Sam's. However the establishments that fly around the world tailoring (and there are a few) seem somehow less appealing to me, is their best tailor travelling? Do they travel because of demand or because they need to create demand?

Looking for advice on a mid-tier location in HKG that can turn a suit around in 4 days... thank you. And off-topic, but any good resources to learn about what makes a quality suit would be helpful!

Cheers
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Hi All,
Getting married this November and looking at getting a nice custom navy blue suit made up for the ceremony and to have going forward. I don't wear suits much but it'd be nice to have a quality custom fit one since my body shape is linebacker build and I'm short

This October I'm going to be in Hong Kong arriving late on a Thursday then having full day Friday & Saturday and departing on Sunday. Is this enough time to setup an appointment on a Friday morning and then be able to pick up my suit on Saturday? Or do they need more time than that? I'd rather not have it shipped back to the states as I want to try it on and ensure it's all correct as soon as possible and with the chance for them to fix it and ship to me after fixing it if necessary.

Also, I'm going to be in Bangkok in September but with arrival on Thursday & departure following Tuesday. I could go to a tailor there on Friday and pick up on Monday if the more time is needed. Do BKK tailors compare well in price and quality to HKG?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Hi All,
Getting married this November and looking at getting a nice custom navy blue suit made up for the ceremony and to have going forward. I don't wear suits much but it'd be nice to have a quality custom fit one since my body shape is linebacker build and I'm short

This October I'm going to be in Hong Kong arriving late on a Thursday then having full day Friday & Saturday and departing on Sunday. Is this enough time to setup an appointment on a Friday morning and then be able to pick up my suit on Saturday? Or do they need more time than that? I'd rather not have it shipped back to the states as I want to try it on and ensure it's all correct as soon as possible and with the chance for them to fix it and ship to me after fixing it if necessary.

Also, I'm going to be in Bangkok in September but with arrival on Thursday & departure following Tuesday. I could go to a tailor there on Friday and pick up on Monday if the more time is needed. Do BKK tailors compare well in price and quality to HKG?
Honestly, i would question the quality of any tailor that turns around a suit in that timeframe. You would need at least a couple of days between first fitting and second fitting, and then you would go back for third fitting/pick up if all is ok. For your wedding I wouldn't risk it, especially as the days of HK tailors being super cheap are long gone.

I've never been to a Bangkok tailor but I hear there are some good ones there.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by phol
Honestly, i would question the quality of any tailor that turns around a suit in that timeframe. You would need at least a couple of days between first fitting and second fitting, and then you would go back for third fitting/pick up if all is ok. For your wedding I wouldn't risk it, especially as the days of HK tailors being super cheap are long gone.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll stick with my existing Tux for the wedding
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:45 pm

@phol -

What you're saying here makes no sense at all. Are you telling me it takes more than a couple hours to cut/stitch some fabric? I went in @ 11am (no appointment, on a holiday), first fitting @ 4p same day, next fitting @ noon the next and had there been problems, tailoring in-house to correct @ the 2nd fitting. 4 suits, 10 shirts, 24h. You pay a bit more for faster turns, but that's it. Oh, and my fabric choices were limited to "in-stock", but that's fine, I got what I wanted anyway.

You have to remember, these are MASTER clothiers that have their stitch-shoppes stitching 24h/day. Jumping the line just costs a buck or two... the way it should be! ;-)

@mikelat -

What your asking for isn't a problem at all. In fact, one of the suits mentioned above is blue. (Though more royal than navy). If you go to Sam's it'll run you ~$350-$500USD but it'll be awesome. Go with the ticket pocket!

-SF

Originally Posted by phol

Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by SoulFlyer
@phol -

What you're saying here makes no sense at all. Are you telling me it takes more than a couple hours to cut/stitch some fabric? I went in @ 11am (no appointment, on a holiday), first fitting @ 4p same day, next fitting @ noon the next and had there been problems, tailoring in-house to correct @ the 2nd fitting. 4 suits, 10 shirts, 24h. You pay a bit more for faster turns, but that's it. Oh, and my fabric choices were limited to "in-stock", but that's fine, I got what I wanted anyway.

You have to remember, these are MASTER clothiers that have their stitch-shoppes stitching 24h/day. Jumping the line just costs a buck or two... the way it should be! ;-)

@mikelat -

What your asking for isn't a problem at all. In fact, one of the suits mentioned above is blue. (Though more royal than navy). If you go to Sam's it'll run you ~$350-$500USD but it'll be awesome. Go with the ticket pocket!

-SF
A good suit takes time. If you're talking about tourist traps like Sam's then you probably can get an alright suit turned around quickly. But for my wedding I wouldn't want the McDonalds of tailoring ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:35 pm

In general, my suits from HKG tailors (Gordon Yao) always take like a month to be ready.

I go in for 2-3 fitting sessions while I'm in town and then few weeks later I get an email saying that the suit was shipped. So overall, the whole process takes around a month or so for me.

I'm sure I could ask to get it faster but considering I wear them for work and not for any special occasion, I see little point in asking for expedited service.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:06 pm

I normally go to Gordon Yao...he is a bit moody but he suits are the best I've owned. I have had suits from Saville Row and across HK. I made the mistake of thinking a cheaper option was a good idea and due to the reviews of lords tailor and their sister company charms...... as esquire and a few other had good reviews I would give them a go......BIG MISTAKE the worst suits I have ever owned. Not sure who actually wrote the good reviews (probably their employees) but here is an accurate review.....

Customer service terrible, made to feel that we were an inconvenience to them the whole time not friendly and didn't bother to actually serve my wife and I

Suits don't fit and jackets for both are at least 4 sizes too big and look like I bought them from a second hand shop. Trousers are of low finish quality and side loops are a joke I've worn the trousers once and the tab has come off.

Melted my Zegna fabric from over heating it during pressing, I have shown it to 2 tailors local to me and both have said they have perminantely damaged 1000gbp of fabric purchased from Zegna directly.

Avoid lords tailors at all costs....if they are cheaper you are getting cheaper......
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:00 pm

I had a new suit from Gordon Yao delivered just 2 days ago. Around $1600 for a basic 2 piece in dark checkered grey colour.

Happy to post some pics when I get the chance if anyone is interested.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have made an appointment at Sam's Tailor and William Cheng & Sons for next week. I am considering cancelling my Sam's appointment. Any recent experience with either?

I found this post on another forum which I found useful.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/68785/be...0#post_7300417
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What are the turn around rates you've been getting? I'm only in HK for 4 days (barely) and would love to get a three piece made.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Turnaround times are described in the thread and vary with the amount of bespoke tailoring, which in turn varies by price and tailor. The cheap places can do 24 hour turnaround, moderate to good quality can often do 72 hours (these are the USD 1000 suits) while top quality would require 2 or 3 fittings which can't be done in 4 days. Most people are happey with the good quality 72 hour suits, which are quite a bit better than what you can get at Nordstrom etc for much higher price in US. Worst case they ship you the finished product by post a week after your final fitting. I use Danny's for good quality and have been satisfied every time, they would do decent job in 3 days.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks 6, would you know if Danny's will replicate a suit for me if I bring one to the shop? Or do they have certain rules like lapels can't be skinner/wider than X inches, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.