Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Staying in Hong Kong: Recommendations and Suggestion much appreciated :-)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, Qantas Frequent Flyer

Hi All,
Glad to join the group.Love all the information on this site. It's opened my eyes to the world of frequent flying.Would also love to be able to contribute in any way possible.
Just a quick question for our experienced Hong Kong road warriors. I travel to Hong Kong from Perth almost every month for about 3-4 days a trip. Just turned in to a MPC Gold.
I usually stay at The Ramada Hong Kong. Now the plus points of this Hotel has been the ease of getting there - the A10 bus virtually drops you to its gate, quite reasonable rate most of the time (around 120-150 AUD roughly 90 to 120 USD). And it's on the tram line so getting to Central and Cause Way bay is quite easy (these places are where I've got most of work taking place). On paper this place ticks all the boxes, however, I've somehow never enjoyed staying at this property. Mostly because of the service there. Somehow the staff has never been warm nor there seems to be any recognition for repeatedly staying there. Early check in or late check outs are quite patchy.
So my question is - would you'll have any recommendation for places to stay in around the $120 to $150 AUD Mark, easy to get to (close to the MTR being a big plus), good service and if possible being part of Rewards Group I.e. IHG, SPG etc that could help me maximise miles etc. Hong Kong Island would be preferred but Kowloon is cool too.
Hoefully I haven't overloaded in my first post
looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
cheers,
Smoothflyer
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
With that budget and you want points, might want to comsider the fairly new Crowne Plaza and HIE at Tseung Kwan O (or Kowloon East if you buy that). Long way from airport, but fairly quick by MTR to Causeway Bay and Central with one quick switch at North Point. Not recommended for tourists but you are not touring.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:46 pm

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rkkwan
With that budget and you want points, might want to comsider the fairly new Crowne Plaza and HIE at Tseung Kwan O (or Kowloon East if you buy that). Long way from airport, but fairly quick by MTR to Causeway Bay and Central with one quick switch at North Point. Not recommended for tourists but you are not touring.
Was thinking of the same place. Not easy to find decent hotels on a budget that would also offer points...

There's a Holiday Inn Express currently being built in Yau Ma Tei, reasonably close to the MTR and A21 bus stop on Nathan Road. Prices right now appear to be in the 800-1000HKD region. It's a pretty bad area (albeit safe, it's HK...), but a new hotel anywhere is still a new hotel and it would get you IHG points that can be converted to airline miles, if that's what you'd be wanting to do.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rkkwan
+1

I have stayed there about a dozen times and the welcome is really good....front desk and concierge have always recognised me and have always been very good about early check-ins etc. (That said, I am an IHG Gold member, so that may be the main reason).

Moreover, the rooms are great and it is generally a very enjoyable experience, so I encourage you to give it a try.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Will definitely try on my next trip. Any thoughts on the Marriott Courtyard in Hong Kong?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smoothflyer
Thanks for all the tips. Will definitely try on my next trip. Any thoughts on the Marriott Courtyard in Hong Kong?
The one across your Ramada should be out of your budget. The one in Sha Tin, no, coz it's inconvenient for Central and Causeway Bay requiring multiple switches on trains.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips rkkwan. You're super knowledgeable :-)
I'll definitely be booking the CP on my next stay and then might give the Marriott a go. See which one I'd like and if I have to up my budget then ...
Overall though which one loyalty program is worth keeping to? The Mariott or the IHG. Whilst I've read really good good reviews of HHonors but overall there hotels are quite out of my range.
Cheers,
Smoothflyer
P.S.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:29 am

Been to HK a few times and staying at Stanford Mongkok mostly. The location is good with many eateries and night market.

If you prefer something better, langham place would be a good alternative around that area.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:18 am

Same theme, different approach

Used to be a fairly frequent visitor to Hong Kong - mostly on busines but have also taken my wife a couple of times. 9 out of ten time stayed at the Sheraton Kowloon, mostly because of the habour views. The other times I have stayed on Hong Kong Island, but somehow I have preferred the Kowloon side.

Next holiday trip is comming up this fall, and I am inclined to go with Sheraton again. But before doing that, please challenge my in my selection. Criteria is fairly central location, habour views and similar budget as the Sheraton. What could potential alternatives be?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
How about The Excelsior? Causeway Bay is different to staying in the CBD, but you're still on the Island. The side harbour view rooms at that hotel give an interesting perspective as you're essentially looking down the coast rather than across at it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Sheraton has the unbeatable view of the harbour. If you go for the view then Tsim Sha Tsui would be the place to stay - I always like the view from Kowloon to HK island and the Excelsior is at the wrong side of the harbour.

Not sure what's the price range of the Sheraton (I never have that kind of money when I stay in HK). If you go for the view, try the IC, or IC Stanford, Shangri-La Kowloon.

There is also a Hotel Jen (by Shangri-la group) down the road from the Ramada.

Last edited by nacho; Apr 29, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nacho
Sheraton has the unbeatable view of the harbour. If you go for the view then Tsim Sha Tsui would be the place to stay - I always like the view from Kowloon to HK island and the Excelsior is at the wrong side of the harbour.

Not sure what's the price range of the Sheraton (I never have that kind of money when I stay in HK). If you go for the view, try the IC, or IC Stanford, Shangri-La Kowloon.

There is also a Hotel Jen (by Shangri-la group) down the road from the Ramada.
HK is the "wrong side of the harbor"? The real estate market seems to disagree.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Causeway Bay is on the "wrong side" for "the view". But if OFFlyer just wants "a harborview", Excelsior is fine, the Harbour Grand in Fortress Hill is fine with his budget. Both close to MTR. On the Kowloon side, the Kowloon Shangri-La may not cost much more than Shearton's Tower Harbourview room. Or there is Hong Kong Hotel near the Star Ferry for a different angle. Both a bit further from the MTR than the Sheraton. Or just behind the Sheraton, the taller and newer Rhombus Panorama for the same view as the Sheraton. And likely cheaper, the Salisbury next to the Peninsula.

And of course, on the island, there's also the Grand Hyatt, though to me too far from the MTR. And the Wan Chai Star Ferry is now further away than before.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by moondog
HK is the "wrong side of the harbor"? The real estate market seems to disagree.
Yes that is for people to 'live' there. AFAIK properties on HK island land aren't subject to land rent - my parents live in the 'new' Kowloon area and they have been paying 'land rent' since 1997.

Properties prices are very highly linked to school district (I'm sure you know what I mean if you are living in China). Tons of prestige schools are on HK island.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Note my idea was for a side harbour view room which is on the west side of the stalk that runs behind the excelsior. It's a T shape i recall, not a simple rectangle. You get a view of the harbour and central for a reasonable price. In a great hotel. Without having to run the knock off watch or tailor suit gauntlet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.