Wiki Posts
Search

Tour Ideas in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
did you take a tour? if so, which one and what did you think of it?
here is a link to the tour http://www.splendid.hk/en/tour_details.php?scid=6&id=33

it was a great way to see HK with not much time so spend, def could have skipped the jewelry factory and more time would have been great at each stop. timing was perfect as i hopped a one hour star ferry harbor ride just after the tour. nice part was they picked me up at the marriott so didn´t have to find my way downtown since didn´t know my way around, but now that ive done it i see how easy it is.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I'm glad you enjoyed it all, and...
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
i hopped a one hour star ferry harbor ride just after the tour.
Thanks for paying about 10 times what us locals pay per hour for the Star Ferry - it helps keep the fares low for the rest of us!

Last edited by christep; Jul 10, 2015 at 3:32 am
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:28 am

Do you think a tour is necessary or should I just make an itinerary myself? I have never been to HK or Asia for that matter and have no clue how to get around.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
On the topic of tours, I note that the ones advertised on viator.com or splendid.hk seem a bit on the pricy side... are these just the going rates or are these simply oriented at less price-sensitive foreigners? (i.e., is it possible to find cheaper tours once on the ground? )
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I had one full day on my (first) visit to HK and did not take a tour. In retrospect this was the correct choice as I found it very easy to get around HK by metro and taxi, and directions are easy as many people speak English. IMO most sights do not require (and would not benefit from) a guide. The highlights were visiting the Walk of Stars on Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade, the Star ferry across the harbor, walking around HK and Kowloon, and the views from Victoria Peak. Also enjoyed visiting the Peninsula Hotel - a good place to have a drink in the lobby if not the rather boring bar inside Felix. On that note, the only reason to visit the appropriately named Ozone bar on 120fl bar of Ritz is to say you've been there - the view was nonexistent due to the haze. The "Women's Market" is a complete waste of time unless you are looking for cheapo flea market stalls. I did not find the view from the tram to be worth the 30m wait or the price - I found better views from the public bus on the way back down the mountain, which only takes 30-45m but often quicker than the tram if you include waiting time.

I'm a bit too old for the party scene at Lan Kwai Fong but this would have appealed in my 20-30s. In general the nightlife scene at HK blew away Kowloon so would consider staying on HK side if that is your priority to avoid the time and expense of taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.