Wiki Posts
Search

Tour Ideas in Hong Kong?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Tour Ideas in Hong Kong?

I'm transiting via HKG to China and have one full day in Hong Kong, staying at the Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel by the airport. I want to pack in as much as possible. Can anyone recommend any tours? I found this website which seemed to have some good options: http://www.splendid.hk/en/tours_hk.php

Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I'm transiting via HKG to China and have one full day in Hong Kong, staying at the Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel by the airport. I want to pack in as much as possible. Can anyone recommend any tours? I found this website which seemed to have some good options: http://www.splendid.hk/en/tours_hk.php

Thanks!
HOHO buses are good.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
HOHO buses are good.
Thanks, will check it out.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Thanks!
Been to HK 3 or 4 times, never once took a so called tour. Id simply take the bus to HKI and to the peak station, take the train up and bus it down if its a clear day. Then find my way to the old time trams and ride it and checkout the buildings. 2 good museums imo are the History museum in Kowloon and the Discovery museum in Kowloon park alot of pics and info on the history og HK.Id take the Star Ferry to Kowloon. Walk around Nathan Rd and to a couple of the mkts, then bus it A21 on Nathan back to HKG and back to the Marriott desk for the shuttle back to the hotel. Or take the Airport Express r/t, I like the bus since I get to see things as we are heading in, its slower but cheaper

thats if you are interested in seeing the city itself
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Been to HK 3 or 4 times, never once took a so called tour. Id simply take the bus to HKI and to the peak station, take the train up and bus it down if its a clear day. Then find my way to the old time trams and ride it and checkout the buildings. 2 good museums imo are the History museum in Kowloon and the Discovery museum in Kowloon park alot of pics and info on the history og HK.Id take the Star Ferry to Kowloon. Walk around Nathan Rd and to a couple of the mkts, then bus it A21 on Nathan back to HKG and back to the Marriott desk for the shuttle back to the hotel. Or take the Airport Express r/t, I like the bus since I get to see things as we are heading in, its slower but cheaper

thats if you are interested in seeing the city itself
Thanks!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd add teh following ideas to the above, which is excellent advice:

When you do the ferry, pause to follow the Walk of Stars on the Kowloon side between the hotel and the river.

Have a drink or take afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hotel.

If it's a clear day, go to the (casual) bar at the top of the RC for the view if you're near the Kowloon airport express train station and elements mall.

Do you really want an airport hotel versus one located right at an airport express train station, such as W and RC on the Kowloon side (but not that close to stuff to see and do in Kowloon) and several on the Central side?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd add teh following ideas to the above, which is excellent advice:

When you do the ferry, pause to follow the Walk of Stars on the Kowloon side between the hotel and the river.

Have a drink or take afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hotel.

If it's a clear day, go to the (casual) bar at the top of the RC for the view if you're near the Kowloon airport express train station and elements mall.

Do you really want an airport hotel versus one located right at an airport express train station, such as W and RC on the Kowloon side (but not that close to stuff to see and do in Kowloon) and several on the Central side?
like your additions! As for where to stay Id say it depends on what time the OPs flight leaves the next day and how much baggage they are taking. Its alot easier pushing the cart to The Marriott desk and then out to their shuttle then having to schelp it all over. If just a small checked bag and a carry-on its doable

That said my last trip was a few weeks ago spent the weekend in HK then had a 8am flight to REP, grabbed a 5:30am bus but I had 3 nights to catch up on my jet lag. On my return originally I was going to stay at a HEX and run around abit that night before my noon flight back to the US. Im all that I ended up at the airport Marriott, I was so knocked out I didnt even go into the city and had I kept my HEX res I wouldnt have walked anywhere

So w/o knowing when the OP arrives and from where, staying at The Marriott may be the best thing if in the end theres too many bags to have to schelp or if they are so jet lagged that they dont want to venture out. But barring too many bags and not being jet lagged,I agree staying in town would give them a better experience
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:44 pm

I have used the Left Luggage office rather than carry bags. (I do travel heavy).

OP check with the airline if they will do a baggage transfer .
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:48 pm

One day is definitely enough to see the main sights along the harbour. Hope you get weather like we're having today! Quite sunny and clear
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:14 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/s...ours/index.jsp

from the discover Hong Kong website

Also, the "meet the people" tours: http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/...ng_Culture.htm
-
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The half-day tours look interesting, is there a tour without a "jewelry" stop? I really have no interest in wasting my limited time at marked up tourist stores.

[Deleted - confused with Bangkok]

Is Macao out of the question for a half-day excursion?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The half-day tours look interesting, is there a tour without a "jewelry" stop? I really have no interest in wasting my limited time at marked up tourist stores.

[Deleted - confused with Bangkok]

Travel times will eat up your limited times. Macau is now a mini Las Vegas. There are some old Portuguese built areas notably a remains of a church ( St Paul's ?)
I personally spent a week on my second visit so did go to Macau. If you have half a day and have seen main sites in HK, then check out the Giant Budhha on Lantau island. Easy to get there by metro.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Macao needs a day. Ferry itself takes an hour each way. And you need extra time to go through immigration 4 times. Half a day is useless.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Had a great visit to HKG, thanks for all the advice!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Had a great visit to HKG, thanks for all the advice!
did you take a tour? if so, which one and what did you think of it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.