Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
There is again a street-level crossing of Salisbury Rd in front of the Peninsula, so it's not as hard to get to/from the IC. It's a small price to pay to be right on the water.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:02 pm

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks for your feedback, gracall. I'll be staying at the MO and the FS now. My rationale is the following:

MO vs LMO: while I agree with you that the rooms look less fresh/modern at the MO, I feel that the much talked-about overall spirit/atmosphere of the MO should make up for it. Also, views are pretty important to me and this is a weak point of the LMO.

FS vs Pen: I'm sure that everybody should stay at the Pen at least once and I'm a fan of historic hotels in general, but from what I've read it is only worth it if you book a Harbour View Room / Suite on the higher floors of the tower. The room rates are high but acceptable, but the Suites come at a premium that I'm not ready to pay because in terms of other facilities, I prefer the FS due to their amazing outdoor pool area.
MO vs LMO: Yes, view is a weak point of LMO but I feel LMO service is exceptionally much better at all levels from John the Front Doorman up to James Yap the Hotel Manager and Torsten van Dullemen, the GM. Regardless, make sure you try Amber at LMO as well as Mandarin Grill at MO. In my view, both are much better than Caprice at FS. As an aside, also try Mott32.

I've stayed at LMO more than 20x and at MO about 13x. LMO treats me like family...MO not even close.

Last edited by Mr. Strong; Feb 13, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
MO vs LMO: Yes, view is a weak point of LMO but I feel LMO service is exceptionally much better at all levels from John the Front Doorman up to James Yap the Hotel Manager and Torsten van Dullemen, the GM. Regardless, make sure you try Amber at LMO as well as Mandarin Grill at MO. In my view, both are much better than Caprice at FS. As an aside, also try Mott32.

I've stayed at LMO more than 20x and at MO about 13x. LMO treats me like family...MO not even close.
I agree that MO definitely has that snobbish air to it. They don't treat you badly but never like a VVIP.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
To me the Pen is one of those iconic hotels. I rank it with Raffles in Singapore, Reid's in Madeira and Claridges in London - maybe the opulence has faded over the years, but there is still something about the name
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: CX Gold, UA PP, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade
From the list originally provided, I'd pick MO or PEN. How about the Upper House in Admiralty? Really good service there. I personally also like Hotel Icon and think it offers great value but it's not in the most convenient location. I recently recommended it to a friend who was visiting HK. He was originally looking to book the Peninsula, but upon my recommendation, he booked a suite at Hotel Icon. Although he liked the room and the hotel offerings, he found it too inconvenient to cross over to HK Island every day (although he did admit it wasn't that far away).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:22 pm

Traveling with my sister on a gals trip to Hong Kong.

We've usually gone to Europe and stayed in holiday rentals with 2 bedrooms. I'm finding Hong Kong more challenging.

Here's what I'm considering:
JW Marriott, Premier Harbor View, twins: 350 sq feet, $2500 hkd/night
Conrad, Harbor View, twins, 452 sq feet, $2800 hkd/night
Landmark MO, L600 deluxe, doubles, 600 sq feet $3300 hkd/night

It's nice to have some space. We usually like two kings, but looks cost prohibitive in Hong Kong.

Recommendations? We'd like to be on HK Island. Gold with Marriott and Conrad. Landmark MO is AMEX FHR rate so also includes breakfast.

Any other suggestions?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by sdfamily
Traveling with my sister on a gals trip to Hong Kong.

We've usually gone to Europe and stayed in holiday rentals with 2 bedrooms. I'm finding Hong Kong more challenging.

Here's what I'm considering:
JW Marriott, Premier Harbor View, twins: 350 sq feet, $2500 hkd/night
Conrad, Harbor View, twins, 452 sq feet, $2800 hkd/night
Landmark MO, L600 deluxe, doubles, 600 sq feet $3300 hkd/night

It's nice to have some space. We usually like two kings, but looks cost prohibitive in Hong Kong.

Recommendations? We'd like to be on HK Island. Gold with Marriott and Conrad. Landmark MO is AMEX FHR rate so also includes breakfast.

Any other suggestions?
Landmark MO is by far the best of three you named. Hotel aside its in a better location and that's also a pretty good rate for that hotel. If it were my money I'd go for that. The JW and the Conrad are in the same building complex and there isn't really much to split them. All three are attached to major malls and have direct MTR access but if you prefer taxis traffic can be horrendous around the MO.

All the big HK hotels are some of the best their parent chains have to offer. You won't be disappointed whichever you choose but the JW and the Conrad are a level below the MOs.

Last edited by 1010101; Jan 9, 2017 at 12:07 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I agree that MO definitely has that snobbish air to it. They don't treat you badly but never like a VVIP.
But are you a VVIP? If not, that may explain it.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Sorry to bring up old threads but I'm going to Hong Kong for two days and I have a bunch of points I need to burn on a nice property. They are Orbucks, so it can be any property around town. I cannot decide. Right now I have a reservation at the Renaissance, but am considering canceling.

I am an SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and Hilton Gold and I'm looking for a property that I will get a good free breakfast, and also allow me access to a really good lounge with my status. I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but a good chance at one would obviously also help.

Any suggestions?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Sorry to bring up old threads but I'm going to Hong Kong for two days and I have a bunch of points I need to burn on a nice property. They are Orbucks, so it can be any property around town. I cannot decide. Right now I have a reservation at the Renaissance, but am considering canceling.

I am an SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and Hilton Gold and I'm looking for a property that I will get a good free breakfast, and also allow me access to a really good lounge with my status. I wouldn't expect an upgrade, but a good chance at one would obviously also help.

Any suggestions?
I don't know anything about SPG/Marriott and what Gold entitles you to. Intercontinental is an excellent hotel for the price (priced reasonably mainly because it's on Kowloon side) and a Harbour view room there will give you the best view in HKG, better than any SPG/Marriott/Hilton in town. However, IHG Plat isn't going to get you a free breakfast or lounge access. As a Hilton Gold, you will get free breakfast at Conrad but lounge access is only if you book or are upgraded to exec level. I don't think I've ever stayed at Conrad HKG as a Gold, so I'm not sure what your chances are of lounge access. Conrad's breakfast buffet is very good, although not the best.

If you've never been to HKG, I would recommend staying in a Harbour view room in Tsim Sha Tsui (unless having that iconic view of HKG is not a high priority for you). While view from IC is the best, Sheraton won't be a bad choice especially if you manage to get Harbour view room ~12th floor or higher + points required are much less than IC + your status gets you free breakfast there. I like Sheraton's breakfasts buffet. It's sort of no-frills, but everything is tasty and they have a lot of variety.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Gold will get you into the lounge at the JW Marriott (though not 100% sure if you get your benefits when booking via an OTA). I last stayed there nearly 10 years ago, but it was a nice lounge with a good breakfast (and evening food setup). Rooms are a little on the smaller side, and hotel is not in the most interesting place (on top of a mall, but then again most hotels are in HK...lol), however. But it's nice.

I really love the W - rooms, rooftop pool, spa area. (Also on a mall, but very easy access to Airport Express and MTR.) They have a great breakfast buffet, though you'd have to pay -- if using Orbucks, you can probably book a rate that includes breakfast for less than the a la carte price.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Conrad.

Ritz Carlton and W is at a weird location, its a good airport hotel as in you're right on top of the airport express station but you're at least 1 subway change and a walk from everywhere else.
sheraton is not THAT good. a proper 4* hotel. proper as in it ticks all the boxes and nothing more. except it has good views. LM is, very far

JW is good and is just next to conrad, but its just that little not as good as conrad. the IC proper is in the middle of a construction site, otherwise its also good; however unluckily i've never had their breakfast so i cannot comment. IC Grand Stanford is not as good as the Conrad and JW and IC Proper and is further from the metro.

For the breakfast i would say RC would probably top conrad but conrad would win on location whilst you're staying in the city. That said, their breakfast is also damn good, and better views - RC is too high up you wouldn't be able to see things.

I assume you meant the Renassance in Wanchai. it's a big step away from conrad, like sheraton, but on the opposite side of harbour
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
Conrad.

Ritz Carlton and W is at a weird location, its a good airport hotel as in you're right on top of the airport express station but you're at least 1 subway change and a walk from everywhere else.
sheraton is not THAT good. a proper 4* hotel. proper as in it ticks all the boxes and nothing more. except it has good views. LM is, very far

JW is good and is just next to conrad, but its just that little not as good as conrad. the IC proper is in the middle of a construction site, otherwise its also good; however unluckily i've never had their breakfast so i cannot comment. IC Grand Stanford is not as good as the Conrad and JW and IC Proper and is further from the metro.

For the breakfast i would say RC would probably top conrad but conrad would win on location whilst you're staying in the city. That said, their breakfast is also damn good, and better views - RC is too high up you wouldn't be able to see things.

I assume you meant the Renassance in Wanchai. it's a big step away from conrad, like sheraton, but on the opposite side of harbour
The view from Conrad is only very good if you stay in a harbour-view room or while you're in the Exec Lounge. And, as a Gold, you may not get lounge access. I've not been upgraded to harbour-view room on either of the two times that I've stayed there as a Diamond even. However, Peak view is not bad at all, either. I've had breakfast buffet at all 3 Admiralty hotels. Although it's becoming harder for me to make comparisons as it's been a while since I've had breakfast at JWM or Cafe Too, nonetheless I remember thinking Conrad's breakfast was not as good as the other two the first time I had it. Don't get me wrong, Conrad's breakfast will still blow away anything in the US, for instance. But it's just not quite as good as IC's Harbourside or even Shangrila Kowloon's Cafe Kool. What's subpar about Conrad's buffet is the quality of dim sum and Chinese tea.

Since he/she is looking for both lounge access and free breakfast, I'd probably go with JWM over Conrad if his Marriott status grants lounge access as ijgordon.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

Any suggestions?

If you are going on lounge food only I would choose JW Marriott over Conrad. Conrad will allow you to eat breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. JWM will not.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
But are you a VVIP? If not, that may explain it.
If you're booking a suite and through MO FanCLUB then you should be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.